The AMC Forum - Slow Rambler Project

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
12/20/14 at 03:02:30
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Slow Rambler Project (Read 27948 times)
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Re: Slow Rambler Project
Reply #75 - 08/12/12 at 20:18:27

I'd two tone it, with the second color as an insert like on the side of an SC/Rambler. A lot of color combinations would work. Black/ anything, dark/medium, dark/light, or reverse any of those. Metallics work well for two tones also. The roof could be either color.
Dave Z

81 Spirit 232 T-10 3.54 model 20
72 Javelin AMX 360 T-10 (son's car)
73 Javelin AMX 401 727 (long term project)
88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
Brootal
Site Moderator

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #76 - 08/13/12 at 00:05:07

I think the wheels would work just fine against the red, besides, the wheels should just complement the car, not be the main focus.

Yes, it really is Granddad's old Rambler!

www.the-rumbler.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Gruder
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brownsburg, IN
Reply #77 - 08/13/12 at 14:18:56

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Email   IP Logged
Brootal
Site Moderator

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #78 - 08/13/12 at 15:25:11

Yeah, I spotted that too, looks nice, but I was looking for the original promo shot that I posted as I've always loved the look of it. I'm almost tempted to do something similar the next time I re-do my car. Smiley

Are you going to break up the two colours (yes, that is the correct way to spell color) with a pinstripe or something? You don't have the Rogue trim to separate it, do you?

Yes, it really is Granddad's old Rambler!

www.the-rumbler.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Gruder
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brownsburg, IN
Reply #79 - 08/13/12 at 16:24:08

I donít have the Rogue trim, I was going to put a silver or chrome color pin stripe down where the 2 colors meet.  

Bryan

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #80 - 08/13/12 at 23:48:30

Quote from Gruder on 08/13/12 at 14:18:56:

I was thinking something like that but with the top color under the lower side moulding in the case of the car pictured.  

Dave Z

88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
343sharpstick
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Cleveland, WI
Reply #81 - 08/22/12 at 16:34:41

I just cought up on this thread, wow. This thing is fighting you every step of the way with rust.
Youíre doing a great job chasing it down and doing it right!
Love the two tone idea.  
Bryan, I know itís too late for you, but for anyone else doing a custom rambler;  a friend of mine did a rambler and grafted a front wheel  opening onto the rear to get a bunch more tire clearance, it turned out great and unless you know what your looking for itís un-noticeable.
I am seriously considering Atomic EFI on my car, nearly ordered it a few weeks back but havenít brought myself to spend the cash yet.

Email   IP Logged
Gruder
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brownsburg, IN
Reply #82 - 08/26/12 at 19:32:18

Hello,

Dave, I have so many colors, and paint schemas running through my head right now, I donít know what it is going to look like in the end, but something along the lines of what has been shown.  

343, I think by grafting the front finders on to the rear wheel like I have done, I am estimating about an extra 1 inch of wheel clearance from factory. When I sized the wheels I left Ĺ inch of clearance for the wheels, now I have about 1 Ĺ †of clearance. Time to reorder the rear wheels I can get about 1 inch deeper dishes on the back now (Just kidding). I will just stick with the size of wheels I have now. As far as the EFI, I thought this kit offered most of what I was looking for in an efi kit. I will hope for the best, I have not heard of too much bad stuff about this kit.

Work continues on the rambler, allot of sanding and metal prepping. Used an acid metal primer, to remove all of the surface rust that has accumulated over the several weeks while working on the body, and 3M scuff pads, got the metal ready for primer. Took all the doors, trunk, and hood off to get all the metal prepped and to make sure there was not any more hidden rust or any surprises. Here are a couple of photos of the car at various stages while undergoing the acid bath.

And a couple of pictures after the car was primed.  

Will keep you updated as I get time to work on the car, the pictures forth coming should be less disturbing. Hopefully I can get the car on the road within the next few years.

Bryan

Email   IP Logged
343sharpstick
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Cleveland, WI
Reply #83 - 08/28/12 at 19:22:56

One color, even if it's primer, is a major step in a good direction!  Cool
I totally mised the sentince where you did in fact graft in a front fender wheel opening to the back, so my comment in the previous post was a bit odd. Grin
Lots to like about the Atomic EFI - except the price. The FAST system has some nice features too, but is slightly more complex. The DIY-EFI MegaSquirt stuff is way cool but I do not have that kind of spare time. Cheesy I added up many of the bits to do that and the initial cost of the parts was over a grand using a junk yard TBI unit.

Email   IP Logged
amxdreamer
Site Moderator

Proud member of the
WINNING team Smurf!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #84 - 08/29/12 at 05:06:09

Looking good! Cool

Tony

2009 Ford F150 SuperdooperCrew
1970 AMX
Email   IP Logged
4.0 Rambler
AMCrazy

Sweeeettt!

Quad Cities, IL
Reply #85 - 09/15/12 at 19:03:45

Do you need a front left fender?
Im a photo shoot an d a guy is trying to sell me one.

Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #86 - 09/15/12 at 23:57:16

88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
Gruder
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brownsburg, IN
Reply #87 - 09/17/12 at 16:12:27

AMX,
Thanks, itís coming along slow, but still moving forward.

I donít need a fender anymore I picked one up from a 68.

Dave,
That looks great! Man you guys are making this a tough decision.

Bryan

Email   IP Logged
fast401
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Swanton, OH
Reply #88 - 10/17/12 at 00:32:02

I like your Rambler.  Will I get to see it at the AMO in Auburn?

Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!
Email   IP Logged
Gruder
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brownsburg, IN
Reply #89 - 10/18/12 at 14:41:13

Fast401,

I will be at Auburn, but I donít think I will have the car finished in time to make the show. I am looking at getting the car back from paint sometime mid spring. This project is only paid for from overtime money, that is one reason it is taking so long. That and my son will be off to collage next fall, so it may get even slower, that is why I am trying to get it painted before he is off to collage. The engine is all ready to go, I still have to go through the transmission and get it up to par. The drive shaft is ready to go, I will need to plum break lines, and do interior work and all the odds and ends before she is road ready. It might happen but more than likely it will not be ready for Auburn. I will keep you up to date.  

Thanks for the interest.

Bryan

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print