The AMC Forum - '72 Hornet Rallye X

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
09/01/14 at 13:34:39
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'72 Hornet Rallye X (Read 2125 times)
rallyex
AMCer

'72 Hornet Rallye X

San Luis Obispo, CA
'72 Hornet Rallye X
12/31/07 at 20:05:54

Photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21718645@N06/sets/

BODY – 1972 AMC Hornet Rallye X.  Factory paint scheme, BMW “Dakar Yellow” paint (car was originally yellow).  Restored by Progressive Auto Art in SLO in 2000.

ENGINE: AMC 360 – Recent re-build, approx 10k miles.  Small-chamber “dogleg” heads.  Crane 272 hydraulic cam, Crane dual valve springs, Harland Sharp roller rockers.  Edelbrock Torker intake, Holley 750 vacuum carb.  Electronic ignition.  Gear reduction mini starter.  Vintage Edelbrock finned valve covers.

COOLING - 3-Core radiator.  Engine oil cooler with thermostat, remote oil filters.

EXHAUST –1-5/8” ceramic coated full-length headers (modified for ground clearance).  3” X-pipe.  2-1/2” Flowmasters and ceramic coated tailpipes.

DRIVETRAIN – Billet steel flywheel.  Ford Motorsports clutch and T5 5-speed manual (Mustang application), B&M shifter.  Wilwood hydraulic clutch.  Chrysler 8-3/4” axle with 2.90 gears and limited slip differential.  Mosier axles.

SUSPENSION – American Racing 17x8” Torque-Thrust II wheels.  V-8 coil springs, modified spring perch.  Polyurethane strut rod bushing.  V-8 leaf springs.  Front and rear heavy duty anti-roll bars (1-1/8” front, ¾” rear).  KYB shocks.  Chrysler 10x2.5 rear drum brakes, AMC Matador front discs.  Aftermarket Mopar master cylinder.

INTERIOR – Late model heater box with blend-air heat control and dual outside air vents.  VDO Tach, Speedometer, oil and water temp, oil pressure.  Inside of roof and firewall completely dynamatted.  Original bucket seats and rear seat re-upholstered to original.  I have new carpet and all trim in good condition.

EXTRA PARTS – two doors (left and right), two fenders (left and right), hood, three bumpers (front and rear).  NOS grille, new in box.  NOS gas cap, and one used gas cap.  Extra used headlight door, needs to be painted.  Several aluminum rear trim panels.  

Email   IP Logged
DragRacinAMC
Site Moderator
High Performance

New Jersey
Re: '72 Hornet Rallye X
Reply #1 - 01/01/08 at 00:36:03

Is this for sale ?

Email   IP Logged
71SC360
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/01/08 at 00:51:38

Great car. The Rallye X is basically what replaced the SC/360. Very rare car in their own right. Years ago I passed on one that was so badly rotted it couldn't be saved. I would have bought it for parts but the guy wanted WAY too much money for it. I don't think he ever sold it, went to the crusher. It's good to know there are some that survived......

IP Logged
VAM Rambler Hunter
AMCrazy

Vehículos
Automotores
Mexicanos S. A.

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Reply #3 - 01/02/08 at 00:10:42

Interesting, VERY interesting, and also as rare as the Matador Machine.  

I have been digging Hornet Rallyes for months, but there's barely any info on them in the net. Does anyone know or have the full equipment lists? Both standard and optional. All I've been able to find is this:  

(Standard) Front bucket seats, front disc brakes, handling package, quick-ratio manual steering, full synchromesh three-speed manual transmission floor shift, sports steering wheel.

Mauricio Jordán Márquez

1981 VAM Rally GT - 185 HP 282 Six, Hurst Four Speed, Power Brakes, Power Steering, sway bars,
Email WWW VAM Rambler Hunter   IP Logged
rallyex
AMCer

'72 Hornet Rallye X

San Luis Obispo, CA
Reply #4 - 01/02/08 at 20:53:48

Quote from DragRacinAMC on 01/01/08 at 00:36:03:
Is this for sale ?

I'm considering selling, but not sure yet.

I have some more information on the "rallye x" package that I'll post later.

-Steve

Email   IP Logged
rallyex
AMCer

'72 Hornet Rallye X

San Luis Obispo, CA
Reply #5 - 01/07/08 at 05:06:04

Email   IP Logged
JEZZ
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

NW Minnesota
Reply #6 - 01/07/08 at 06:56:17

Hey Steve,
Hope you're enjoying the climate in Cali.  It was over 45 today...unseasonably HOT.  I e-mailed you last week but haven't heard back.  I can't PM you because I haven't posted 10 times on this forum yet.  I'd like to talk to you about your Hornet.  Please shoot me an e-mail with your phone # at www dot digikey dot com.

Todd Jesme

Email   IP Logged
Turbo Tom
Forum Junkie
High Performance

Rustoleum Rambler

Stephenson, VA
Reply #7 - 01/07/08 at 07:23:52

So this car was a six cylinder originally? Try not to take this wrong, but did'nt you get rid of everthing that made this a Rallye X, sans the stripe?
I know it's your car and you can do whatever you want, but if this car is rare?????
Help me understand....I'm kinda slow

1979 Spirit
Building a Boosted 2.5 Four.
I am not very smart!
Email WWW   IP Logged
JEZZ
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

NW Minnesota
Reply #8 - 01/07/08 at 07:32:41

Just got your e-mail Steve.  I'll give a call real soon  Wink

Todd
-----

"Hey Steve,  
Hope you're enjoying the climate in Cali.  It was over 45 today...unseasonably HOT.  I e-mailed you last week but haven't heard back.  I can't PM you because I haven't posted 10 times on this forum yet.  I'd like to talk to you about your Hornet.  Please shoot me an e-mail with your phone # at www dot digikey dot com.  

Todd Jesme"

Email   IP Logged
Gofastparts4u
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Liberty, MO (Kansas City)
Reply #9 - 01/07/08 at 08:02:42

So you could get the Rally X package in addition to the SST package?

And WOW, Machine wheels on a Hornet!  I've thought about putting my Machine wheels on my car but then I'd have no wheels for my Machine!

1970 Hornet SST 401/727 9"
1970 Rebel Machine (roller project)
1970 Rebel Machine (parts car)
Email Gofastparts4u   IP Logged
rallyex
AMCer

'72 Hornet Rallye X

San Luis Obispo, CA
Reply #10 - 01/08/08 at 01:53:40

Quote from Turbo Tom on 01/07/08 at 07:23:52:
So this car was a six cylinder originally? Try not to take this wrong, but did'nt you get rid of everthing that made this a Rallye X, sans the stripe?
I know it's your car and you can do whatever you want, but if this car is rare?????
Help me understand....I'm kinda slow

The only rallye X options that were changed were the wheels, the front discs were upgraded (parts were not available for the originals), and the springs and antiroll bars were upgraded with OEM V8 parts.  Yeah, it has a V8 now, but that was a factory option independant of the "rallye" and "x" packages, as was a choice of transmissions.  Yes, the 232 would have been "authentic", but I wanted to be able to get on the freeway.  Wink

Email   IP Logged
rallyex
AMCer

'72 Hornet Rallye X

San Luis Obispo, CA
Reply #11 - 01/08/08 at 01:54:53

Quote from Gofastparts4u on 01/07/08 at 08:02:42:
So you could get the Rally X package in addition to the SST package?

And WOW, Machine wheels on a Hornet!  I've thought about putting my Machine wheels on my car but then I'd have no wheels for my Machine!

Apparently ALL '72 Hornets were SSTs.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print