The AMC Forum - SC/Rambler parts

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/30/14 at 15:51:49
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SC/Rambler parts (Read 3367 times)
fastrogue
AMCrazy
High Performance

SC/Rambler guy

St. Petersburg, Florida
SC/Rambler parts
02/11/08 at 13:41:59

I wrote this for the SC/Rambler registry and thought someone here might be able to use some of the information. Even thought it is focused on SC/Ramblers, it also applys to Americans and Rogues.

By 1969, all Americans had the front frame rails extended toward the rear of the car. This strengthened up the unibody platform to reduce twist in the body with V-8s. Floorpans are the same in 1967 to 1969, but the desirable front frame rails are on late 68 and all 69 Americans. That means you will have to look under a 1968 car to see if the front frame rail extends back to the start of the rear seat footwell. If it does, it is the same as SC/Ramblers. The chances are good your passenger side inner fender panel is rotted out from battery drool. Look for a six cylinder 67 to 69 American to harvest this panel from, because the battery is on the drivers side in six cylinder Americans.

All Americans (2 door post, 4 door and 2 door hardtop) in 1968 and 1969 share the same hoods (without the flap piece and scoop), fenders without rolled lips, door handles, trunk lids, gas tanks, heater boxes, window glass if non-tinted, front disc brakes, front suspension, rear crossmembers (without welded on plate on SC/Ramblers), rear springs (only AMC car with 2 wide leaf springs, usually 5 leaves, SC/Rs are 6 leaf), front valance panel under grille, grille (center horizontal stripe is flat black on SC/Rs), headlight doors, emergency brake cables, wiper motors, switches and wiper arms (if electric), manual steering boxes usually have 24:1 ratio, 6.5 turns lock to lock (SC/R is 20 to 1, 5.6 turns), dashes, reclining seat mechanisms, dash pads ( a good dash pad can easily be dyed) and the V-8s share front crossmembers, bellhousings, starters, motor mounts, rear ends (if positraction), 4-speed transmissions, wire harnesses, steering columns. In addition, 1968 and 1969 Rogue 2 door hardtops only share quarter panels, front seat buns (if split bench), doors, front and rear window regulators, rear window, other window glass, door panels, and rear seat buns with the SC/Rambler. Rear seats from a two or four door American wont fit Rogues and therefore dont fit SC/Ramblers. SC/R front crossmembers are the same width as later V-8 Gremlin, Hornet, Spirit and Concord. Drill the ground strap hole on the passenger side and weld up the hole on the opposite side and no one can tell it isnt a SC/Rambler front crossmember. Be sure to get the motor mounts with the crossmember, because they tuck in under the pan lip on SC/Rs and are not the same on large engine compartment cars.

All 69 V-8s use a 2 3/4" fan spacer, with a 7 bladed fan and the blades measure 5 7/8" in length with three attaching rivets. I don't know any other way to identify SC/Rambler fans, because not all of them had part numbers on them. All V-8 Americans with heavy duty cooling use a two core Blackstone radiator. I use the fan and shroud to identify HD cooling V-8s. In 1969 American Motors changed from a mechanical accelerator linkage to a cable with a pedal hanging from the firewall, V-8 Americans are the same as SC/R. Pedal boxes and pedals are slightly different on SC/Rs.

SC/Rambler only stuff would be outside mirrors, front swaybar (larger diameter than V-8 American swaybars),  rear axle spring seats (both are the same as right side perch on std Americans) with left shock mount in trunk behind axle, OEM Hurst shifter and lever with T-handle, Sun tach mounted to steering column with large radiator clamp, torque links (front mount is modified from AMX, otherwise the same parts), exhaust pipes (duals), air cleaner top and fiberglass bucket with foam seal, hood scoop, hood pins, welded plate on the rear crossmember under the shifter (same crossmember as Americans with a little cutting and welding), RWB headrests, universal joints (others interchange, but original SC/Rs have no grease fitting), shifter hump, rolled fender lips front and rear, and 2 wide rear springs with 6 leaves, exhaust pipes.  

Please remember SC/Ramblers share quick ratio manual steering boxes (20:1 identified by 5.6 turns lock to lock), chrome oil fill caps and valve covers, 4 speeds, front suspension (not the front crossmember, rear crossmember or swaybar), chrome exhaust pipe tips, front disc brakes, Go-Pack heavy duty front springs only, and 390 engines in 1968 and 1969 AMXs. You can identify the HD front springs because the originals are .520 to .525 dia wire with a free height of 18.33 All Amxs have a floor mount shifter steering column. The SC/Rambler steering column shaft has splines on the bottom like all V-8 Americans. If the V-8 American donor car has an automatic steering column use the AMX upper steering bezels and insert the V-8 American steering shaft in the AMX pieces. Be sure to use the American lower shaft spacers and get the flex coupler to the steering box, so the column will fit a SC/Rambler.

SC/Rambler's 14 x 6" wide plain steel spare wheel was also used on the 1971 V-8 Hornet road wheels and spare.  

Little things like 390 emblem holes and rolled lips can be added to any 68 or 69 American front fender.  

1968 and 1969 V-8 American rearends are all the same housing and carriers, the two piece positraction can always be added to make a SC/Rambler rearend out of a non-positraction one. 3.54 was the standard 4-speed V-8 American rear gear ratio and was used in SC/Rs. 1967 V-8 housings are also the same, but the ring gear has smaller bolts that go into the carrier.

Master of Obsolete Technology.
Email   IP Logged
tomslik
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Berthoud,CO
Re: SC/Rambler parts
Reply #1 - 02/16/08 at 13:21:48

"In 1969 American Motors changed from a mechanical accelerator linkage to a cable with a pedal hanging from the firewall, V-8 Americans are the same as SC/R. Pedal boxes and pedals are slightly different on SC/Rs. "

was this only with the v8 cars?
both my 67's have cable throttles....well, one does, the other has been scrapped...

67 american 290/4 speed
64 660 classic 196/auto
Email   IP Logged
fastrogue
AMCrazy
High Performance

SC/Rambler guy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Re: SC/Rambler parts
Reply #2 - 02/16/08 at 17:21:52

To my knowledge 1969 was the first year for cable throttle linkages on AMC V-8 cars. The earlier V-8 cars had mechanical linkage stock. My 68 AMX and my buddies stock 66 V-8 Rogue, 67 V-8 4-door American, 68 2-door American and my 68 to 72 AMC parts book shows mechanical throttle linkage prior to 1969.

I have no idea what was used on AMC 6-cylinder cars or when.

Master of Obsolete Technology.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print