The AMC Forum - Javelin Disc Brake Conversion????

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/21/14 at 16:01:18
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Javelin Disc Brake Conversion???? (Read 3201 times)
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Javelin Disc Brake Conversion????
04/23/08 at 01:34:50

Hey guys,
Just bought my first AMC 3 weeks ago, 72 Javelin SST!!! My first classic!!! Anyway, now the rookie needs some help please. Where can I find a complete front disc brake system to replace the drums on the front.  
On a Javelin is this an easy switch or is there a lot of special mods involved? ALso can anyone advise me of a posi rearend that would work in my javelin? I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could give!! thanks, JP

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
rcrmonte3
Forum Junkie

Happy Hornets Still
Sting....

Waukesha, WI
Re: Javelin Disc Brake Conversion????
Reply #1 - 04/23/08 at 12:15:09

Congrats on your 1st classic! Even more kudos for making it a Javelin!
If you can find a Jav/Hornet/Gremlin with disc brakes, just take everything from the spindle on out and bolt it on the your car. Other than that, there is a thread here that shows a relatively simple disc brake conversion.
The AMC 20 twin-Grip rear end is a bolt in conversion. I think I read that the more modern F*** 8.8 is also pretty much a bolt-in.
Is your car I-6 or V-8? If it's V-8, it might alreaty have the AMC 20 rear.

Dennis
71 SC/360 autocross/roadrace if it ever gets finished.....
1961 Besasie X3
1974 Mercedes 450SL
32,000hp 2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #2 - 04/23/08 at 13:45:27

Quote from rcrmonte3 on 04/23/08 at 12:15:09:
Congrats on your 1st classic! Even more kudos for making it a Javelin!
Is your car I-6 or V-8? If it's V-8, it might alreaty have the AMC 20 rear.
I thought the Javelin was a big car and if 6 or 8 came with the #20 rear?
Where is the fill plug in housing = #20  if in cover = #15
As said the 8.8 is also most a bolt in need to mod the drive shaft IIRC, some do come with discs.
You did not say what you are going to use the car for but the 20 is not a bad rear. You can install a twin grip unit (AMC posi) in your housing and change the axles wile at it.
BTW if you dont want to get into gear set up installing a twin grip unit you can look into a Lock Right Locker, I run one in a Gremlin & it has drums all the way around.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #3 - 04/23/08 at 14:20:07

Thanks for the info guys!!! When I get off duty tomorrow I will look at the rear end to try and see what rear it is. But I am positive it isnt posi. But your saying that an AMC 20 is posi, right? Forgive my ignorance, brand new to this and trying to learn as I go!!! Starting a little late in life but better late than never I guess. Picked up some books trying to learn about trannys and rearends, gear ratios and all that is like speaking French to me right now!! hahaha Love the reactions I get when I pull up to a parts store in my javelin and ask the guys to look at it and tell me what the part is, all I know is that its leaking!! hahahaha Oh yea, by the way it has the original 304 V-8, just rebuilt about 250 miles ago, just before I bought it. Runs great, looks great! Just need to do some updating on rear suspension and would like to upgrade brake system, not use to drums, feels like trying to stop a train. haha Another thing I am finding out is that trying to find a paint job for a reasonable price has long sinced waived by by to the world of fast lucrative collision repair.

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #4 - 04/23/08 at 14:22:44

Oh yeah forgot to answer question, Car is going to be used for pleasure cruising and occasional show, no Talladega Nights in its future! Thanks for Help guys!! JP

12.9 @ 111mph
Email   IP Logged
rcrmonte3
Forum Junkie

Happy Hornets Still
Sting....

Waukesha, WI
Reply #5 - 04/23/08 at 17:29:37

The AMC 20 is not always a posi. You can install an AMC Twin-Grip(posi) in your 20, if that's what you have.
There aren't a lot of shops around anymore that do full paint jobs. Most of them just want the Q & D insurance(read profitable) jobs. Depending on what kind of a paint job you want and how much you want to invest in paint/bodywork, look for a shop that will do full repaint. I know Maaco will do full repaint, but, if you want it done right, you have to remove all the trim and do the masking.
Regarding the disc brakes--if you take them off another AMC, be sure you get the proportioning valve and the master cylinder off the donor. The MC may need to be rebuilt or you may need a new one, but you would have the correct MC to rebuild or compare to a new one.

Dennis
1961 Besasie X3
1974 Mercedes 450SL
Email   IP Logged
Peter Jan
AMCrazy

The Green Lemon

Mechelen - Belgium - Europe
Reply #6 - 04/23/08 at 18:40:20

Quote from firecapt321 on 04/23/08 at 01:34:50:
Hey guys,
Just bought my first AMC 3 weeks ago, 72 Javelin SST!!! My first classic!!! Anyway, now the rookie needs some help please. Where can I find a complete front disc brake system to replace the drums on the front.
On a Javelin is this an easy switch or is there a lot of special mods involved? ALso can anyone advise me of a posi rearend that would work in my javelin? I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could give!! thanks, JP

For a disc brake kits, check with Mike Luke ( Hornet_X ) on the forum here, he's an Aerospace dealer and he has several brake kits for your car.  I have a complete front and rear kit from him, good stuff !

Email WWW Peter Jan   IP Logged
kinleydog
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 04/25/08 at 14:57:33

Quote from firecapt321 on 04/23/08 at 01:34:50:
....Where can I find a complete front disc brake system to replace the drums on the front......

check out WSC Motorsports....

http://www.classicone.com/wsc/catalog/amc/amc_per1.htm

Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #8 - 04/26/08 at 18:38:13

Thanks for your help guys!!!!

12.9 @ 111mph
Email   IP Logged
72Javelin
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Auburn, GA
Reply #9 - 04/27/08 at 13:51:32

I saw where someone said you could use Javelin/Gremlin/Hornet disc brakes, but they failed to mention that you could also use the disc brakes from a Matador/Spirit/Concord/Pacer on the front of your car. As stated, grab everything from the spindle out and it's a straight bolt-on.

Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
94 Cherokee
79 Spirit GT
72 Javelin SST
Email   IP Logged
rcrmonte3
Forum Junkie

Happy Hornets Still
Sting....

Waukesha, WI
Reply #10 - 04/28/08 at 02:51:20

&2--I'm just sooo bad... I left out Mat, Spirit, Concord, Pacer. 50 lashes with a wet noodle..... Grin

Dennis
1961 Besasie X3
1974 Mercedes 450SL
Email   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #11 - 04/30/08 at 02:20:47

Fuzz, the Javelin is considered a small car -- six used the AMC 15.  

The best setup to use is 79-83 Concord/Spirit/Pacer. Those parts are most readily available and cheaper than earlier ones.  

If you want the very best brake you can get and good looking to boot, go with Aero. Cost is around $1K, but you can't get better for an AMC. If you want new with more readily available parts go to www.scarebird.com and order their kit. The kit is just the caliper brackets and a seal adapter. You still have to buy a pair of standard GM calipers and 90s Ford Ranger rotors (an exact parts list is with the kit).  The entire front brake setup is around $400 total, including the cost of the kit. Note that the seal adapter rides on the inner edge of the seal. It looks like the seal pushes in too far, but it doesn't. It's just a dust seal -- there's no pressure in the hub to push grease out. Riding on a narrow edge works just fine. Some get worried over it, but  it's fine!

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
72Javelin
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Auburn, GA
Reply #12 - 05/03/08 at 14:26:49

Quote from rcrmonte3 on 04/28/08 at 02:51:20:
&2--I'm just sooo bad... I left out Mat, Spirit, Concord, Pacer. 50 lashes with a wet noodle..... Grin

Just wanted to make sure the newbie knew all his options...   Cool

Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
94 Cherokee
79 Spirit GT
72 Javelin SST
Email   IP Logged
marxjunk
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Kansas City, MO.
Reply #13 - 05/05/08 at 03:03:24

Ihave a couple sets of 71 up Jav disc sets the hard stuff, not the consumables, too expensive to ship the consumables..........

www.marxjunk.com
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print