The AMC Forum - 1973 AMC Gremlin X - Levi's Edition

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
11/01/14 at 02:28:52
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
1973 AMC Gremlin X - Levi's Edition (Read 12640 times)
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: 1973 AMC Gremlin X - Levi's Edition
Reply #15 - 08/16/08 at 01:29:21

Quote from Ozmiander on 08/15/08 at 23:39:33:
Quote from FuzzFace2 on 08/15/08 at 22:46:06:
I can under stand just how she feels. My 75 GremlinX is a factory v8/auto car with 65k or 66k on it. It was bone stock when I got it, got to be over 12 years now, sitting in someone’s drive and like you starter, batt & some hoses it started right up. With a little more work it was on the road for a week when I pull it off to do body work and paint.
Over the years I have changed some things but to look at it you would not know, Holley 2v on stock intake, duel exh. With stock exh. Manifolds, shift kit in trany & and lock right locker in the rear with the stock 2.87 gears. I just cant think of changing it much from stock.
It should come off the road again for a good going over,  body work & paint but I have other AMC’s I want to put my time & money in to so it kind of sits most of the time.

As bad as it is my 19 year old son washed it up good and took it to a show 125 miles away ( he has balls Wink  ) because he did not want to take his toyoya p/u. I know it made it up hope it makes it back.
Do it your way, you have to live with it and have fun.
Dave ----

You should totally get that Grem out of your driveway Fuzz.  In fact, give me a couple hours and i'll come from Albany as soon as i can find a negative 1500lb tow dolly to bring it home with my ranger  Wink
Funny you say that my som took the car up to your area for a car show 8/14 and 8/15 may not be coming home till 8/16? Said it leaked trany fluid out I think the vent, dont think its the front pump seal because it only leaks when hot.
I keep saying I am going to sell it, dont waant to put the money in it, but son wants to keep it but with his 2 projects (73 firebird & 76 GremlinX) and mine (drag 70 jav & 70 jav MD) and 3 daily drivers some thing is going to have to go one day.
When I really have to or want to I will post it here first.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
Aljav
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Reedsburg, WI
Reply #16 - 08/16/08 at 04:19:39

If the motor runs and doesn't smoke too bad, don't worry about a motor right now. Once you start worring about a new motor things start getting expensive. If the motor runs and doesn't have too many issues give it a quick tune up and enjoy it. Worry about the body and interior first, you will have plenty of time to worry about a motor.  

Believe me a AMC 304 has plenty of power for a Gremlin and you will have lots of fun with it. Once the car is looking tip top shape then you can start worrying about the motor

Been there, done that, still doing it.. Just Look at my project under 69 Javelin project . Money and time... never enough of either

Love it and enjoy it   Smiley and Welcome to the AMC world, I got the bug 30 years ago and still sick..lol

Allan

69 AMX 10.24 129 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, NAMDRA member #1106
Email   IP Logged
rcrmonte3
Forum Junkie

Happy Hornets Still
Sting....

Waukesha, WI
Reply #17 - 08/16/08 at 13:51:47

As far as the 304 is concerned, all I would do is put on a better 2-barrel, true dual exhaust, and have the distributor recurved for more advance faster. Then I would bump the timing up until just before the 'ping' point.
Did that to my '74 Hornet 360 and it flew! No expensive bolt-ons or rebuilds.

Dennis
71 SC/360 autocross/roadrace if it ever gets finished.....
1961 Besasie X3
1974 Mercedes 450SL
39,000hp 2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #18 - 08/16/08 at 16:34:30

BTW, welcome to the forum Philly, these guys on here can help you with every single aspect of your Gremlin!!

Philly, is Yellowknife one of the towns featured on the History channel show "Ice Road Truckers" ???

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
Philadelphia
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

YellowKnife, NT, Canada
Reply #19 - 08/18/08 at 14:34:20

Quote from firecapt321 on 08/16/08 at 16:34:30:
BTW, welcome to the forum Philly, these guys on here can help you with every single aspect of your Gremlin!!

Philly, is Yellowknife one of the towns featured on the History channel show "Ice Road Truckers" ???

It sure is =D , Thats what makes this town so unique, all our supplies and the supplies that need to go to the mines are carried on the ice road. I will have to take a picture of the gremlin on the ice road! hehe. Thats really neat that you guys would be watching that show. I heard its pretty big.

-- 1973 AMC Gremlin X --
Email   IP Logged
Philadelphia
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

YellowKnife, NT, Canada
Reply #20 - 08/18/08 at 14:38:46

Well to everyone who has replied Cheesy I think i will just be sticking with the 304, i'm not sure about the gear ratio, but its got a 3 speed manual tranny. Changing the car to a 4 bbl carb would be sweet and she already has a really nice dual exhaust! I have a video of it attempting to take off, and i noticed that the one passenger rear wheel jumps really bad. This could be because its stiff from sitting, or its shot. Not sure which one. Its really quite sad, but my friends being a douche and is hard on it. ( he always rips on her when im not in the car, but she does burn rubber ) If its not posi like i thought, where can i buy one, or how can i tell?

-- 1973 AMC Gremlin X --
Email   IP Logged
Ever Victorious
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/18/08 at 14:45:47

When I checked yesterday, there was a whole posi rear end on eBay for sale.  Not cheap, and would probably cost a ton to ship to you.

IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #22 - 08/18/08 at 14:52:19

Quote from Ever Victorious on 08/18/08 at 14:45:47:
When I checked yesterday, there was a whole posi rear end on eBay for sale.  Not cheap, and would probably cost a ton to ship to you.

Especially on the Ice Road!!! Grin

Philly, just jack it up, if both wheels turn the same direction it is posi. I would tell your friend to go find his own ride!!!! Wink Nobody touches my steering wheel!!! Not even the wife!!! unless she asks Grin

Ice Road truckers is a huge show, everyone I know watches it and Deadliest Catch.

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
amx390
AMCrazy
High Performance

AMC Videos at
www.amx390.com

North San Diego County CA
Reply #23 - 08/19/08 at 15:12:29

Philadelphia (May I call you Philly?),
Wow, you have brought new life to this forum, great find, not only a V-8 but Levi's as well, I like blue. I have had 3 V-8 Gremlins as well as some other AMC's. Here is a tip you might find interesting, when it comes to the wheel hop you described, the V-8 Gremlins were available starting in 1972, also 1973 and 1974, only the 1972 came with torque links. Torque links are like a factory traction bar that sits above the axle and is hard to see. Torque links connect the rear end to the frame. The torque links for a Gremlin are different than the ones on an AMX, but if you can find a set from a 1972 V-8 Gremlin it will fix the wheel hop and still look stock. Good luck with the project and thanks for sharing. Build it how you want, but the resale will be higher if it is stock.
Tom

AMX/3 Prototype pushmobile
1969 BBO AMX 390 Auto
1969 AMX-390, 4-spd, blue
1970 Javelin-401, auto, orange
1968 Javelin-RWB
1968 Rogue-290, auto, silver
1973 Gremlin X 401 4 speed
Email WWW   IP Logged
Philadelphia
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

YellowKnife, NT, Canada
Reply #24 - 08/20/08 at 14:30:13

Thanks, Cheesy ya, Philly is fine of course. I have a video of him spinning the wheels on the gremmy, ( i was none to impressed but it was funny ) i will have to post it tonight or tomorrow night. Production here on the car is going well, we started cutting out the rust holes in the floor. Its moving slowly but surely. Over the winter, i would like to hord a bunch of engine parts. I want to redo the engine but keep the original stock block. I would like new cam and new clutch and a bunch of other new parts i have yet to research.  

Does anyone know a good site that sells performance gremlin parts and will ship to Canada?

-- 1973 AMC Gremlin X --
Email   IP Logged
Ever Victorious
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/20/08 at 15:19:53

Summit Racing ships to Canada.  You can get most of your standard bolt-on performance parts for AMC engines there.

IP Logged
70machineproject
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Helena MT, Big Sky Country
Reply #26 - 08/21/08 at 01:49:18

Some Ebay sellers like me ship via UPS ground to Canada. It's expensive
and the customs thing is a pain. Can't imagine what it would cost to get a well boxed rear glass up there.
  My last mint rear glass assy is going to AMX390 in San Diego as we speak(via Dean)  
Check into AMC clubs in Canada, there are lots of AMC guys in Calgary,
just had two different Canucks down to buy 401 motors. Good luck
Scott

Too many cars and projects
Email   IP Logged
GreasedGremlin360
Forum Junkie

Wanting to trade for
71-74 Javelin or Jav
AMX!

Ft Pierce, FL
Reply #27 - 08/21/08 at 08:30:35

Quote from Philadelphia on 08/20/08 at 14:30:13:
Thanks, Cheesy ya, Philly is fine of course. I have a video of him spinning the wheels on the gremmy, ( i was none to impressed but it was funny ) i will have to post it tonight or tomorrow night. Production here on the car is going well, we started cutting out the rust holes in the floor. Its moving slowly but surely. Over the winter, i would like to hord a bunch of engine parts. I want to redo the engine but keep the original stock block. I would like new cam and new clutch and a bunch of other new parts i have yet to research.

Does anyone know a good site that sells performance gremlin parts and will ship to Canada?

Phil,How far are you from Saskatchewon don't know if I spelled it correctly but there a AMC guy there by the name of Brian Morrow who has a huuuge field of AMCs and parts out the ying yang. if he isn't too far I can try and get his email address or maybe someone on here has it already?

1974 AMC Gremlin X 360/904(wanting to trade)
1960 Ford F100 302/C4
1990 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 318/727
2008 Dodge RAM SXT 3.7 V6/auto

Email   IP Logged
Philadelphia
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

YellowKnife, NT, Canada
Reply #28 - 08/21/08 at 19:47:31

I live in the northwest Territories, funny thing i just moved here from manitoba 3 weeks ago and drove right through sask. Do you have this guys phone number or e-mail so i can get ahold of him Cheesy

-- 1973 AMC Gremlin X --
Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #29 - 08/22/08 at 01:04:04

1970 Wild Plum Metallic Gremlin. 401/T-10, CalTrac's, 3:54 Amc-20 Rear End, Moser's.
Best E.T. 12,something sec. :-P Alias... "The Purple Helmet" in
Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print