The AMC Forum - Penske/Allison NASCAR Matador Found.

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
04/16/14 at 15:59:42
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Penske/Allison NASCAR Matador Found. (Read 5662 times)
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Penske/Allison NASCAR Matador Found.
09/20/08 at 03:09:01

One of the two Penske AMC cars raced in 74-5 has been found and is here in Florida now. They were rebodied with Mercury Cyclone bodies in 76 and that is the body on it now. Owner wants to restore it to it's AMC/ Matador body configuration and hopes to vintage race it .
What is needed now is a nice "rust free" Matador body and grille. If anyone knows of a good body for sale, PM me. No problem shipping.

amxess

Email   IP Logged
Reagam
Ex Member

Re: Penske/Allison NASCAR Matador Found.
Reply #1 - 09/20/08 at 15:20:52

I hope they find appropriate bodies. They wouldn't be restoring it to the Matador configuration, they'd be recreating or copying the original. Without the original shell that's as good as it gets. Nonetheless, I'm one of the first to say that this is a must do mission.

Steve

IP Logged
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Reply #2 - 09/20/08 at 15:56:29

It's intended to be restored as close to the original AMC NASCAR configuration as possible. Owner has already talked to the Penske folks and is getting as many photos as he can. They only ran the two cars (one for the Speedway courses, other for the road race courses), but has only found photos of one of these-still looking for more. Any leads on a rust free Matador body (closer to Florida the better), is greatly appreciated.
amxess

Email   IP Logged
klvn8r
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Reply #3 - 09/21/08 at 00:41:36

I presume that is "frog-eyed" Matador, and not the 'door stop' body???   If I recall, one of the later cars has a GM-style front clip underneath it, and is in the Talladega museum...

klvn8r

Too many lame-ass projects, not enough gumption to get them moving!!!
Email   IP Logged
Javelin GT
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Gainesville VA
Reply #4 - 09/21/08 at 00:55:25

I have a bunch pf pictures of that style NASCAR Matador.  Including some good ones from the Talladega museum.  You can check them out here....This also has the early Matador too but you can check them all out.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x192/adtarr/AMC%20NASCAR%20Matador/

Adam

1969 BBB Mod Javelin
Email   IP Logged
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Reply #5 - 09/22/08 at 01:28:21

Thanks Adam for the photos. I guess the body style for the Penske/Allison car would be a 74-8 style? That's what he needs. I'll try and get more info.

Email   IP Logged
Reagam
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/22/08 at 03:09:44

I wouldn't call that a "G.M." style front suspension design. Definitely would be state of the art race configuration, particularly the short lower control arm spring with lower "cup" and the double pivots. Note the beefy tie-rods and adjusters.
Steve

IP Logged
beepbeep
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Kenosha, WI
Reply #7 - 09/22/08 at 04:43:51

amxess,  about this post of another NASCAR Matador found.  Is there solid evidence this is the car Penske reskinned?   The one reskinned car was reported to have been dismantled and junked years ago.  The other two are accounted for, one in Talladega and the other being restored by a private party.  There were a bunch of Merc stockers in the day. BB

Email   IP Logged
klvn8r
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Reply #8 - 09/22/08 at 12:18:30

Oops!  You're right.........not a GM clip.  More like a B.M. clip!  (Banjo Matthews?)  Roll Eyes
I guess I was thinking about the 69/70 NASCAR Javelins which did have a Camaro/Nova clip underneath them.  VERY weird to see a cross ram 304 between the fenders without trunnion shock towers, and with 'rear' steer.

klvn8r

Too many lame-ass projects, not enough gumption to get them moving!!!
Email   IP Logged
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Reply #9 - 09/22/08 at 23:36:08

I'm going to get as much info on it as I can, but owner has verified it's the real deal. I'll try and post the info tomorrow.  
amxess

Email   IP Logged
beepbeep
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Kenosha, WI
Reply #10 - 09/23/08 at 00:26:08

amxess-   get some pic's if you can.  pic's are worth a million words.  Thanks, BB

Email   IP Logged
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Reply #11 - 09/23/08 at 16:23:32

OK, from what I can gather so far, Don Miller of Penske Racing believes this is one of the two Penske Cam-2 Mercury's that started out as a Matador. He came to the conclusion from all the photos owner Don Gould has sent him. They had a unique chassis and other features that were particular to the Penke Matador's (the chassis were built in secret by Holman-Moody). This car went from Penske to Elliot and then to Junie Dunlevy.  
I believe the Matador in the Talladega Museum is not one of the Peske Matador's but one of Allison's own Matador's he ran after his falling out with Roger (different chassis and paint color).  
I'll try and get more info and post some photos when I get them.  
Beepbeep-maybe this is one of the two you mentioned being restored-I thought it had recently been found, but he's had it for about 8 or 9 years now, but just getting to it. Owner found it in a field in Conneticut.

Email   IP Logged
mramc
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pahrump, NV
Reply #12 - 08/21/09 at 22:29:05

Adam, your photo page of the Nascar Matador keeps asking for a password? Is there one? LRDaum

Email WWW mramc mramc none none none   IP Logged
tsanchez
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Chandler AZ
Reply #13 - 08/22/09 at 00:06:02

Very cool! Here is a site that shows pics http://www.geocities.com/mmbb444/page18.html

Email   IP Logged
Javelin GT
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Gainesville VA
Reply #14 - 08/22/09 at 00:55:46

album is not public again.  Not sure how it got switched but you should be able to access it.

1969 BBB Mod Javelin
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print