The AMC Forum - Penske/Allison NASCAR Matador Found.

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
11/01/14 at 10:17:10
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Penske/Allison NASCAR Matador Found. (Read 6196 times)
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Re: Penske/Allison NASCAR Matador Found.
Reply #15 - 09/06/09 at 15:28:06

Sorry to say, but owner Donnie Gould has decided to restore it back as a Mercury as he has the motor and all the body parts. Unfortunatley, he was never able to positively ID the car as the Penske Matador as there was never any written documentation available from Penske or Hollman Moody (Holman Moody didn't stamp their frames with any ID). Couldn't even get any good photos of the frame or rear so as to match it up. The Penske people believe it is the one survivor car (the other was wrecked and scrapped), but without a proof positive ID it just wouldn't be worth the great expense to restore. I saw the car recently just as teh Merc body was starting to be put back on. Attached is the photo:

Email   IP Logged
mramc
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pahrump, NV
Reply #16 - 09/08/09 at 22:06:09

Ok That would explain why he never sent me the email photos of the car. He called me a few days ago about trying to confirm the car had been of the Penske Matadors. I can't say I blame him if he has all the Mercury parts to make that car.  I've no idea here you even find the sheet metal to redo the the car as a Matador except scrapping out a parts car with good sheet metal and even that would be hard to find. He was telling me there were some numbers stamped in the car , but he never said where. After thinking on this a while I started to wonder where the number were? So, I'm thinking maybe the frame rail behind the power steering box and it's the VIN number? Not sure what the rules where back then. Would they have had to make a NASCAR Stock car from a stock car or used a body shell in white? I'm not familiar with the NASCAR rules of that period. Also Stock Car Racing magazine may have an archive of photos from that period if the photos have not been destroyed of the car. They covered the AMC Matadors and Penske Stock car racing in pretty good detail. I did manage to dig up a good half a plastic crate of old SCR magazine with photos and stats on all the Matadors of that period I found after some looking with out too much trouble. AS he has decided to keep the car as a Mercury I'll no longer pursue the matter. I will put all the SCR magazines in one place for the next time though. Also there may still be another NASCAR Matador out there. I was told by some first hand that the #63 National  City Matador of Jocko M. was not destroyed as reported and that he had seen the car a few years ago. Please past the information on to your friend Donnie, as I'm packing for the trip to the AMC National at Cordova and don't have any spare time for the next week. LRDaum

Email WWW mramc mramc none none none   IP Logged
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Reply #17 - 09/09/09 at 22:06:32

Hi mramc. There were some numbers stamped on part of the frame. He gave them to me but I can't find them now. Give him a call when you get back. Maybe you can change his mind if the car can be positively identified.

amxess

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print