The AMC Forum - Strut Rod Eliminators?

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/21/14 at 18:23:19
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Strut Rod Eliminators? (Read 19230 times)
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Strut Rod Eliminators?
10/05/08 at 15:35:57

1970 Wild Plum Metallic Gremlin. 401/T-10, CalTrac's, 3:54 Amc-20 Rear End, Moser's.
Best E.T. 12,something sec. :-P Alias... "The Purple Helmet" in
Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Re: Strut Rod Eliminators?
Reply #1 - 10/05/08 at 15:44:02

Obviously I cant give any expert opinion Ken, but it seems a little excessive for a street car.... Unless you are planning on some illegal street racing or actual track time???  My  Smiley But then again, my opinions are wrong quite often!! Grin

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #2 - 10/05/08 at 16:36:40

Looks like a great idea. Drawback is going to be noise is going to transmit to the body worse than poly bushings.

Dave Z

81 Spirit 232 T-10 3.54 model 20
72 Javelin AMX 360 T-10 (son's car)
73 Javelin AMX 401 727 (long term project)
88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #3 - 10/05/08 at 23:16:02

I like the concept, but would like to trim some of the "fat." The frame bracket [which I believe is the stock strut bracket] is pretty fat, and the front part where the rod bolts to the control arm is pretty fat. And the diameter of the road assy is pretty fat. So, a Richard Simmons version would weigh less, be less obtrusive, and would give more room for header tubes and such.

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...
AND I'M FULLA ROAD RAGE!!!"

1973 AMX
Email WWW usroadwarrior   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #4 - 10/05/08 at 23:54:55

That could (and has) been done with just an eye at each end and a bracket welded to the frame itself, eliminating the factory strut rod bracket. This will create more room for headers (as already stated).

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:15
Email   IP Logged
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #5 - 10/06/08 at 00:07:39

Quote from RamblinMan on 10/05/08 at 23:54:55:
That could (and has) been done with just an eye at each end and a bracket welded to the frame itself, eliminating the factory strut rod bracket. This will create more room for headers (as already stated).
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/mikesamc/strutrods2.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/mikesamc/strutrods1.jpg

Yeah, that's a clean, lighter lookin' jobby.

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...

1973 AMX
RacerAMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Campbell, CA. U.S.A.
Reply #6 - 10/06/08 at 15:44:15

I think his price is too high. THE AMracing ones were only 100.00 but Im sure you could build them for less.

Email WWW   IP Logged
jimj
AMCrazy

AMC: American Motors
Corporation

Lexington, KY
Reply #7 - 10/06/08 at 16:05:32

You can, and I did several years ago on a 70.  I used 1" aluminum round stock, 1/2 inch heim's, (left and right hand threads per rod) and welded up my own brackets.  Milled a pair of flats on the rod so I could use a wrench to adjust the suspension.  Worked pretty good.

2010 Ford Explorer (my beater)
2007 Corvette convertible - gone to a new owner
2008 Chevy Tahoe (Regina's ride)
1965 Mustang Fastback
Lexington, KY
Email   IP Logged
amx2334
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Afton, MN
Reply #8 - 10/06/08 at 21:14:13

All the parts are readily available at any circle track supply. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/25_Race-Car-Chassis-Control-Arms.html?page=2
I would try to use rod ends on both ends like the one pictured. This would get rid of the twisting of the lower arm as the suspension travels up and down. It won't eliminate all the binding at the lower bushing but I think it would help.

http://s248.photobucket.com/user/amx2334/library/68%20AMX
Email   IP Logged
paul70amx
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Davie, FL
Reply #9 - 10/09/08 at 01:41:31

I purchase the AMracing kit for under $100.00, have not installed them yet, did not like how thin the bracket was and the rod thickness, it would be great for Bob Gable looking for trimming the "fat". The system is great for fat headers installation.

1970 AMX, 410, 4 speed
Email   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Bret Kepner Photo
Barry Allen Engine
BIG Headers

Oreana, IL
Reply #10 - 10/09/08 at 12:35:28

Quote from RamblinMan on 10/05/08 at 23:54:55:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/mikesamc/strutrods2.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/mikesamc/strutrods1.jpg

That big washer on the a-frame heim could cause a bind-up the way it looks....imo...
I built these for the snot rod...quality heims are not the cheapest thing so 100 don't sound too bad...I think I had 60-70 in material in mine...

80 AMX 2950# Iron Head 420 N/A Jerico 4-speed street legal

1.277 60ft. 5.95 116.38
9's at 145.11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvmmXXoxAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQprfva4Tg
Email WWW   IP Logged
mikesramblur
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

St Clements, ONT
Reply #11 - 10/26/08 at 13:29:17

i saw close up pics of those things. their junk. if your trying to make room for headers this set up still uses the big bracket bolted to the frame. and the welding isn't that good on the flat part that bolts to the lower control arm.

1979 Spirit DL 360/904

Email   IP Logged
71SC360
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/26/08 at 15:06:12

Why do the call them "strut rod eliminators"?  How does it eliminate the strut rod when all it is as another style of strut rod? Grin

IP Logged
77hornetamx
Site Moderator
High Performance

4oh1,s Rule!

Barrie, ONT
Reply #13 - 10/26/08 at 16:19:47

How about PITA eliminators ?. More fitting ..77.

" You can never be sure of the validity of any on line information " Abraham Lincoln .
Stay Hard.
Think Critically .
Question Everything .
Email   IP Logged
klvn8r
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Reply #14 - 10/28/08 at 14:05:56

While there is no doubt that the smaller size would ease up header installs, I have a problem with this statement:  
 QUOTE:  The reason factory amc’s never handled that well from the factory is because of how the lower control arm is secured to the frame. The lower arm has only one mounting pivot, and a strut rod to keep it from moving forward and backwards under cornering and braking .This is a poor design as far as handling goes and that is why most vehicle manufactures switched to A-Arm design

I'm pretty sure nearly every Mustang has the identical setup as our cars, except their strut rods go to the front.  They don't seem to handle too badly.... Roll Eyes

Also, by shortening the length of the rod, the arc that it operates in becomes smaller, and if you compress that side of the car extensively, the short rod will be "pulling" the arm rearwards, not keeping it in the widest part of the arc.  Think of it like a long rod motor vs a short rod....  the shorter arm "dwells" at TDC for less time...

klvn8r

Too many lame-ass projects, not enough gumption to get them moving!!!
Email   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #15 - 11/01/08 at 23:12:23

Nevertheless, a true A-arm suspension will handle better and ride better than a strut rod, or even worse, McPherson Strut, suspension. The only AMC that had one was the Pacer. The strut rod suspension is pretty cheap and easy to build as it requires less framework on the lower end than an A-arm does. Car can be lighter as well. If the strut rods are long enough the arc of travel isn't affected all that much.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
gremlinguy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/12/08 at 23:14:10

I got a set of these for my hornet and they are awesome. I was going through bushings every year(probably from cheapo part store parts) but now the car handles great. I've been driving around for about 3 weeks now and I can tell you, I wish this guy was selling these back then when these things were built, as I would of installed these on all the amc's and ford's I've owned. The first time you hit the brakes kinda hard you will feel it. Very positive. You can feel what the car is doing through the brake pedal more now and through the steering as well. No bump steer or other problems. As for the guys talking on here about making it smaller and thinner, I wouldn't. Amc's have the strut rod behind the control arm. So when you smash the brake it gets compressed. On Ford and Chevys they are forward and very thin and get pulled on(a lot stronger) Pop can theory try to crush a pop can and it crushes very easy. Try to pull one apart. Good luck! It is ten times harder. Don't go with weaker parts on an amc, your life could be at stake. As for lap times I don't have a track nearby to test these.

IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #17 - 11/13/08 at 23:55:16

Anyone have an approximate length (tube, less rod ends). I want to order the threaded tube but they come in all different lengths.  

Ed

Email   IP Logged
ssAMX3002
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Ravenswood, WV
Reply #18 - 11/14/08 at 14:22:17

Ramblinman, The rods on my AMX are 11.75"long without rod ends installed. You can get everything you need from S & W race cars in Pennsylvania. Make sure you request cromemolly tubing with left and right threaded 0ne-half inch ends. Also, use the cromemolly rod ends, 4 tabs to be welded to the frame , rod end spacers for the end that attaches to the lower control arm. You must use these spacers to eliminate any binding in the rod end movement due to the front end travel!!! Make sure vehicle weight is on the front end suspension when selecting location for mounting the tabs at the frame. This cheap modification will keep your front end aligned for a much longer period of time.

Email   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #19 - 11/14/08 at 14:49:10

Cool! Thanks.

Ed

Email   IP Logged
64Classic
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Ontario,Canada
Reply #20 - 11/17/08 at 15:18:34

Ramblinman    Are the frame tabs welded on a a angle to the outside of car?

Email   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #21 - 11/18/08 at 02:37:46

I don't know. Those aren't my pictures. I copied and pasted them from somewhere else.

Email   IP Logged
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #22 - 11/18/08 at 17:24:47

Geez, it ain't exactly cheap putting a set of these together. I'm crunching numbers, and I'm up over 150 bux!  Angry

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...

1973 AMX
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #23 - 11/19/08 at 00:45:45

Remember to add a few bucks for the rubber sealing washers for the rod ends. Spherical rod ends are great for a racer, but typically need replacing every 5K miles or so, depending on conditions. With the seals they last up to 7K. I've talked to lots of rodders who use them. They are fine for show, race, and occasional drivers, but not for everyday drivers. Changing them every 2-3 years isn't to annoying, every 12-18 months can be (and costs add up!).  

I wonder if a heavy duty tie rod end would hold up well? Should, that's what a lot of the old straight axle cars used on the radius rods, which should have had about as much pressure on them as the strut rods do.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
mikesramblur
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

St Clements, ONT
Reply #24 - 11/19/08 at 03:32:50

Hey bob, thats where i'm at too.  gotta be somethng were missing. better deals somewhere?

1979 Spirit DL 360/904

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #25 - 11/19/08 at 04:45:48

I'm going to get the Ebay ones. (before my brother does!  Grin) This is the same guy that made the CalTrac type setup, which I installed with purpleheart and they were beautifully made. From my 2 test drives, they seem to work great!  

I like the fact that it's all there. No cutting, welding, shopping, etc.  Wink I met the maker, and he's a great guy. Just my 2 cents.  Smiley

1970 Wild Plum Metallic Gremlin. 401/T-10, CalTrac's, 3:54 Amc-20 Rear End, Moser's.
Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #26 - 11/19/08 at 06:28:01

Quote from mikesramblur on 11/19/08 at 03:32:50:
Hey bob, thats where i'm at too.  gotta be somethng were missing. better deals somewhere?

Well, Mike, I've been burning the midnight oil Googling to check prices, and I've actually found prices that were WAY more expensive than what I was putting together through Speedway or Stock Car Products. Rod ends vary in price and quality, and it is def something not to be cheaped out on. But then again, I've seen some that were 2x or so the price that Speedway is charging for their top of the line chrome moly ones. I dunno...maybe I should just shut my big cyber piehole and quit beyotching about pricing, be glad that it's "only" 150 bux, and just order the dayum parts!  Wink  lol

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...

1973 AMX
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #27 - 11/19/08 at 06:34:29

Quote from ken on 11/19/08 at 04:45:48:
I'm going to get the Ebay ones. (before my brother does!  Grin) This is the same guy that made the CalTrac type setup, which I installed with purpleheart and they were beautifully made. From my 2 test drives, they seem to work great!

I like the fact that it's all there. No cutting, welding, shopping, etc.  Wink I met the maker, and he's a great guy. Just my 2 cents.  Smiley

The only thing I don't like about the E bay ones is the fact it uses the stock strut rod bracket. That bracket is just too !@#$%&)! big n' ugly for my taste. Plus I'm the only  
!@#$%&) big and ugly thing I want around my car!  Cheesy
N' I don't mind the cutting, welding, or shopping. I just hate the "paying."  Roll Eyes

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...

1973 AMX
JYDtoo
Forum Junkie

Austin,TX
Reply #28 - 11/19/08 at 06:50:24

I'm with Bob, My freetime costs a lot less $

Real men drive Ramblers
Email   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #29 - 11/19/08 at 12:32:34

By utilizing the factory strut rod brackets, you don't gain any space or lose any weight either. I want HEADER room, so I popped for the Speedway parts.

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #30 - 11/20/08 at 04:39:57

That's cool. I just have less free time, no welder, and I'm lazy!  Cheesy (after working on big jets 50-70 hrs/week  Grin)

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
Fluffy73
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Degenerate

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Reply #31 - 11/28/08 at 17:41:25

I think I may try for a set of these for my Hornet. I've got to redo the front suspension anyway. Might even swap in my Spirit AMX steering box or save up for a Firm-Feel one. Big sway bar up front, one out back.... very nice!

'75 Hornet Hatchback 304/5 Speed Chrome Yellow
'74 Hornet Hatchback 258/Auto Maxi Blue
'73 Javelin "Victory Edition" 360/Auto Trans Am Red
'70½ Gremlin 232/3spd Big Bad Green

Email   IP Logged
77hornetamx
Site Moderator
High Performance

4oh1,s Rule!

Barrie, ONT
Reply #32 - 11/29/08 at 02:34:04

GDFOW I wouldnt mind dropping in and seeing the set up if you get one installed . Let me know . And Mike is fairly close to you maybe make a timetime for it ? I have beer ..Doug/77.

" You can never be sure of the validity of any on line information " Abraham Lincoln .
Stay Hard.
Think Critically .
Question Everything .
Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #33 - 11/29/08 at 15:10:00

Sounds like fun Doug. Maybe if we get a weekend day that's not too flippin COLD, we can have a beer/car party in the driveway. Maybe I can do a driveway burnout and pizz-off all my neighbors!  Grin

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
mikesramblur
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

St Clements, ONT
Reply #34 - 11/29/08 at 22:14:43

Ya sure, i'm up for a road trip. bean a while and gotta see kens grem anyway.

1979 Spirit DL 360/904

Email   IP Logged
77hornetamx
Site Moderator
High Performance

4oh1,s Rule!

Barrie, ONT
Reply #35 - 11/29/08 at 22:43:45

When you say , "Do a driveway burn out " Is that some reference to the local girls in Altoids town , or is that a joke saying you think the sadturd can spin its tires whilst parked in one spot .  
Oh thats right I forgot its winter up here your laneway probably some ice on it , so it might happen ..77.

Stay Hard.
Think Critically .
Question Everything .
Email   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #36 - 01/19/09 at 04:17:10

Here's what I ended up with on mine

Email   IP Logged
JYDtoo
Forum Junkie

Austin,TX
Reply #37 - 01/19/09 at 05:20:06

RamblinMan....what size heim joints did you use? This is a near future project for my Wagon. Wana try to round the parts all up ahead of time. Thanks for the pics.

Real men drive Ramblers
Email   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #38 - 01/19/09 at 15:11:36

The swedged tube is 5/8 so the rod ends are too. I ordered everything from Speedway because they have a good circle track section and they take paypal. I used the good chromoly rod ends and also bought the rubber dust shields to help them last longer in that dirty environment. I also packed the shields with grease. The rod ends are 5/8" with 1/2" holes.

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #39 - 01/19/09 at 16:30:04

RamblinMan....Where did you get the braided brake hose from? They also look a little long do thay get in the way being that long?
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #40 - 01/19/09 at 18:16:35

They're also from Speedway (www.speedwaymotors.com) in their street rod department. They are DOT approved. They not as long as you might think. Because of the location of the bracket on the body. They actually have more slack (as seen in the picture) with the suspension fully extended as on it is on the jack stands.

Email   IP Logged
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #41 - 01/21/09 at 04:42:59

Quote from RamblinMan on 01/19/09 at 15:11:36:
The swedged tube is 5/8 so the rod ends are too. I ordered everything from Speedway because they have a good circle track section and they take paypal. I used the good chromoly rod ends and also bought the rubber dust shields to help them last longer in that dirty environment. I also packed the shields with grease. The rod ends are 5/8" with 1/2" holes.

Looks good, RM. Did you end up going with the 12 inch long tubes?

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...

1973 AMX
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #42 - 01/21/09 at 05:34:54

Yep. 12 inch is perfect on the 65 Classic using the back hole for the factory strut rod on the lower control arm. It's real close to the ball joint but it clears. Drilling out the hole for 1/2" bolts is a freakin' nightmare because there is hardened steel sandwiched between the ball joint and the control arm. Trashes standard drill bits. I had to use the drill doctor three times in the process for ONE side. I went and bought a cobalt bit for the other side. Hopefully it will be easier. The factory bolt hole is for 7/16.

Email   IP Logged
g-man
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Casmalia, CA
Reply #43 - 02/21/09 at 05:28:25

Does anybody have a photo of these.
I wanted to take a look at them, but the e-bay listing is no longer valid.

g-man

AMC daily driver
Email   IP Logged
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #44 - 02/23/09 at 07:22:39

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...

1973 AMX
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #45 - 04/17/09 at 14:07:19

Picked up mine last night. VERY nicely made. They'll be installed in the next week or so. Here's some pix........

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
amx2334
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Afton, MN
Reply #46 - 04/17/09 at 21:51:32

In the middle pic it looks a little thin at the base where it's welded. Is it just the picture?

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #47 - 04/18/09 at 11:18:53

Quote from amx2334 on 04/17/09 at 21:51:32:
In the middle pic it looks a little thin at the base where it's welded. Is it just the picture?

It's a section of 1/4 "U"-channel that's welded quite nicely all the way around. I can take a better pic if you like?

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
matadorman 401
Forum Junkie

AMC it is a way of
LIFE !!!

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #48 - 04/19/09 at 02:55:46

do they just bolt in place ?  Huh

72 matador 401 aka "THE BEAST"
72 matador 401 aka The Grasshopper
79 Power Wagon stepside

Email   IP Logged
g-man
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Casmalia, CA
Reply #49 - 04/19/09 at 03:25:30

Quote from ken on 04/17/09 at 14:07:19:
Picked up mine last night. VERY nicely made. They'll be installed in the next week or so.

Posted by: matadorman 401 Posted on: 18APR09 at 18:55:46  
do they just bolt in place ?    

Ken: Please let us know how these go on!

Matadorman: Looking over the info, it appears that they do bolt on. I couldn't tell from the guy's e-bay site. But I think Ken will be able to answer that question for us very soon.

If these things are true bolt ons, I'm gonna be all over some of these as soon as I can.
I was gonna try to build some of these myself (pretty much for the reasons this guy explains on his e-bay site as he is MOSTLY correct), but if this guy has done all the homework already...The price sounds more than fair to me.

g-man

AMC daily driver
Email   IP Logged
matadorman 401
Forum Junkie

AMC it is a way of
LIFE !!!

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #50 - 04/19/09 at 04:44:04

by looking at the pics there is a left and right    by looking at the ends where they attach to the control arm

79 Power Wagon stepside

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #51 - 04/19/09 at 11:23:00

Quote from matadorman 401 on 04/19/09 at 02:55:46:

Yup. Basically, you measure the distance from the body mount to the rear bolt on the front end write that dimension down. Then you remove the original bar and cut off the end where the 2 bolts are. The instructions point out that the original strut rod end acts as a steering stop. (where the two bolts are). I guess it's that little corner that sticks out forward? (see pic in listing) This stays with the car.

Anyways, you then just attach the rod at the body end, and then bolt the forward end on leaving the original fwd end of the original rod sandwiched underneath. Adjust the rod to previously measured distance, and tighten everything up until you can get an alignment. Then you're done!

BTW, there IS a left and a right. They're marked clearly.  Wink I'll post pics and notes when mine are installed next week.

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Bret Kepner Photo
Barry Allen Engine
BIG Headers

Oreana, IL
Reply #52 - 04/19/09 at 12:57:28

Tell me what you would gain with these? you still have to bolt to the big heavy frame bracket...I don't see gaining a thing..I built mine for more room and weight savings...I don't see either here.. Huh

1.277 60ft. 5.95 116.38
9's at 145.11

Email WWW   IP Logged
g-man
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Casmalia, CA
Reply #53 - 04/19/09 at 14:39:31

Quote from Hurst390 on 04/19/09 at 12:57:28:
Tell me what you would gain with these? you still have to bolt to the big heavy frame bracket...I don't see gaining a thing..I built mine for more room and weight savings...I don't see either here.. Huh

Hurst: These would do exactly what I want...and that is;

A. Eliminate the strut rod bushing (the source of most AMC front end evils)

B. Give a little more front end adjustment (especially on a lowered vehicle)

These will help out guys that use their cars heavily on the street (such as me) and especially guys that like to run their cars thru the twistys.

If your looking for weight savings and additional clearance for headers...then you are right: You wouldn't gain anything and need to look elsewhere.

g-man

AMC daily driver
Email   IP Logged
AMXRalf
Forum Veteran
High Performance

AMCNut

Ross, OH
Reply #54 - 04/19/09 at 17:33:37

wow, I had two AMX's re-done, and the one with urethane bushings was noticeably harsh compared to just stock bushings.  Solid mounts on a street car will be brutal.
ralfy

Email   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Bret Kepner Photo
Barry Allen Engine
BIG Headers

Oreana, IL
Reply #55 - 04/19/09 at 18:10:59

Quote from g-man on 04/19/09 at 14:39:31:
Quote from Hurst390 on 04/19/09 at 12:57:28:

Hurst: These would do exactly what I want...and that is;

A. Eliminate the strut rod bushing (the source of most AMC front end evils)

B. Give a little more front end adjustment (especially on a lowered vehicle)

These will help out guys that use their cars heavily on the street (such as me) and especially guys that like to run their cars thru the twistys.

If your looking for weight savings and additional clearance for headers...then you are right: You wouldn't gain anything and need to look elsewhere.

g-man

AAAAAH Wink..I see that being an easy bolt on and will give some extra movement...but if a guy was a decent welder I would rather lose some weight and gain some room...unless a guy buys some BIG Headers then room isn't a big issue anymore Wink Roll Eyes Grin

1.277 60ft. 5.95 116.38
9's at 145.11

Email WWW   IP Logged
PHAT69AMX
Forum Junkie

Stage 2 .........
Show The Way

Charleston, WV
Reply #56 - 04/19/09 at 22:51:09

Crying shame original strut rods must be ruined to use those.
Think I'd fabricate a steering stop piece before mutilating a pair of perfectly good stock strut rods.

Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #57 - 04/19/09 at 23:33:58

Quote from AMXRalf on 04/19/09 at 17:33:37:
wow, I had two AMX's re-done, and the one with urethane bushings was noticeably harsh compared to just stock bushings.  Solid mounts on a street car will be brutal.
ralfy

How much rubber would you need to eliminate road noise? Would 1/4" be enough?  

Dave Z

88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #58 - 04/19/09 at 23:38:17

Quote from PHAT69AMX on 04/19/09 at 22:51:09:
Crying shame original strut rods must be ruined to use those.
Think I'd fabricate a steering stop piece before mutilating a pair of perfectly good stock strut rods.

I've had strut rods with the threads rusted off where the adjuster nuts thread on, there must be others. They would make good doners, can't use them for any thing else.

Dave Z

88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
amx2334
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Afton, MN
Reply #59 - 04/19/09 at 23:52:06

I don't see any parts that are original. The part that bolts to the control arm is available from speedway.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/TUBULAR-STRUT-ROD-END,6348.html
Am I missing something?

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #60 - 04/20/09 at 00:32:17

Quote from ken on 04/19/09 at 11:23:00:
Quote from matadorman 401 on 04/19/09 at 02:55:46:

Yup. Basically, you measure the distance from the body mount to the rear bolt on the front end write that dimension down. Then you remove the original bar and cut off the end where the 2 bolts are. The instructions point out that the original strut rod end acts as a steering stop. (where the two bolts are). I guess it's that little corner that sticks out forward? (see pic in listing) This stays with the car.
Anyways, you then just attach the rod at the body end, and then bolt the forward end on leaving the original fwd end of the original rod sandwiched underneath. Adjust the rod to previously measured distance, and tighten everything up until you can get an alignment. Then you're done!

BTW, there IS a left and a right. They're marked clearly.  Wink I'll post pics and notes when mine are installed next week.

Quote from amx2334 on 04/19/09 at 23:52:06:
I don't see any parts that are original. The part that bolts to the control arm is available from speedway.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/TUBULAR-STRUT-ROD-END,6348.html
Am I missing something?
Yes the stock rod has a limit stop on them that is what needs to be cut off and bolted on with the new rod.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
mikesramblur
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

St Clements, ONT
Reply #61 - 04/24/09 at 12:30:10

here's mine, very tight at the control arm but it does work.

1979 Spirit DL 360/904

Email   IP Logged
matadorman 401
Forum Junkie

AMC it is a way of
LIFE !!!

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #62 - 04/25/09 at 19:53:27

ken  where did you get those ?

79 Power Wagon stepside

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #63 - 04/25/09 at 21:04:38

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #64 - 04/25/09 at 21:07:28

Mike, yours look GREAT!  Smiley
I'm just not a welder, and all the parts including Grade-8 bolts add up pretty quick! I'm lazy, so I like Buy-and-Bolt stuff.  Grin

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
JYDtoo
Forum Junkie

Austin,TX
Reply #65 - 04/30/09 at 02:04:35

My version......$150 parts from Speedway Motors. Choped the end off the factory strut rod so it still has the steering stops.

Real men drive Ramblers
Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #66 - 05/01/09 at 09:29:15

Installed one of my ebay ones this week. It was a peice of cake!  Cheesy

AS a bonus, my steering stop is a seperate plate, so I didn't have to chop the original. My rods just had a rounded end......

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
g-man
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Casmalia, CA
Reply #67 - 09/18/09 at 03:22:31

Hey Ken,

I would love to hear an update on how these are working out.
How is the wear and tear and or any vibration or jarring?
I really want to try them out as well.
Thanks,

g-man

AMC daily driver
Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #68 - 09/18/09 at 04:07:43

Quote from g-man on 09/18/09 at 03:22:31:
Hey Ken,

I would love to hear an update on how these are working out.
How is the wear and tear and or any vibration or jarring?
I really want to try them out as well.
Thanks,

g-man

Hi g-man.  :) The car seems to handle very nicely. I wasn't driving the car before I put them on so I can't really give a before/after opinion. I've put about 1200 miles on the car so far and I'll check them for wear tomorrow when I'm working on it. The guy that makes these is also the guy that made the CalTrac-like trac bars which I have. It's hard to say what is the magic, but my car goes down the track like it's on rails.  :D From launch to 100+ MPH it's straight as an arrow with no torque-tilt or anything. Traction is also amazing.

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
needafasterAMX
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Tallahassee, FL.
Reply #69 - 09/19/09 at 02:33:44

The only one I would consider using out of these as a daily driver ,Is Ken setup. But I like the rubber in mine.

I hope the guys that are relying on that small foot print of the rear strut rod bracket,welded to the over lapped metal ,that everyone calls a frame , are only using the car for the drags.

The only way I would do that to a daily driver is with some 1/4 inch steel wrapped around the frame, welded or bolted in place and the strut rod bracket no shorter then 3" long min. welded to the 1/4 inch plate.

But thats just me.  

If that ever come lose at speed , It would suck for you.

74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear now 3:15 with trutrac
A Turbo is in my future.
Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #70 - 09/19/09 at 11:40:25

Quote from needafasterAMX on 09/19/09 at 02:33:44:
The only one I would consider using out of these as a daily driver ,Is Ken setup. But I like the rubber in mine.

I hope the guys that are relying on that small foot print of the rear strut rod bracket,welded to the over lapped metal ,that everyone calls a frame , are only using the car for the drags.

The only way I would do that to a daily driver is with some 1/4 inch steel wrapped around the frame, welded or bolted in place and the strut rod bracket no shorter then 3" long min. welded to the 1/4 inch plate.

But thats just me.

If that ever come lose at speed , It would suck for you.

Here's a picture of what's inside the frame. I agree you would at least want to make sure the attachment was welded to the inner reinforcement and not just the outer skin. Does the style that doesn't use the factory bracket make use of the one bolt at the underside of the frame?

Dave Z

88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #71 - 09/19/09 at 12:10:12

I had a look at mine yesterday and they seem to be just like when I put them in. No wear at all.  Cheesy

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
71amx
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Kenosha, WI
Reply #72 - 09/23/09 at 03:11:35

We are just about finished with the front suspension kits that not only eliminate the strut rod, it eliminates the entire front suspension and replaces it with a new engine cross member with rack and pinion steering, tubular control arms, QA 1 coil over shocks, new custom spindles, and disc brake set up, new engine mounts and steering adaptor.  In case you haven't seen any of the posts I have put out, this is a fully contained system that once you entire front suspension and cross member is removed, this will bolt up in place using the factory spots for the cross member and the upper control arm holes.   This set up is initially for the 70-74 Javelin and AMXs.  If all goes well, I will start on the trunnion cars next and then other bodies styles.  I will also have a new trani cross member that allows for a straight shot back from the headers for the exhaust and a rear disc brake set up.

We will be able to ship kits by the end of next month.  The intro price is $2599 + shipping. The first five paid orders get their choice of a free sway bar upgrade or drilled and slotted rotors for an additional $50.

Here is a link to a couple of pictures.  These are just mock up photos in a stage for making the jigs.  The cross member will be fully boxed and welded with sleeves for the control are rods and gussets for added support.  Again, this is just to give you an idea of what we are offering.  Notice all of the room with the strut rod eliminated as well as the new engine mounts.  I estimate the weight savings to be around 150 lbs.

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac86/71amx/

Thanks,

Nick

Alfano Performance
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6 central and weekends

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central & weekends
Email WWW   IP Logged
Moleman
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Downingtown, PA
Reply #73 - 09/24/09 at 23:20:33

Nick,  I am looking forward to the kit for 68-70 Americans and Jav/AMXs.  I'm guessing the crossmember for the Americans would be different for Jav/AMX but don't forget us American owners.

69 AMX 343, T-10
68 American 401, TF727
Email   IP Logged
71amx
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Kenosha, WI
Reply #74 - 10/08/09 at 16:41:51

Quote from Moleman on 09/24/09 at 23:20:33:
Nick,  I am looking forward to the kit for 68-70 Americans and Jav/AMXs.  I'm guessing the crossmember for the Americans would be different for Jav/AMX but don't forget us American owners.

Yes, it would be slightly different for the Americans.  I don't want to leave any of the cars out.  Demand is really going to be the driver.  If I get enough interest in this first kit, that will make way for expanding on to the other cars.   You know how it goes, people will say they want/need something but when it is available, they tend to shy away.  So far I only have a couple orders for this style which should be the largest market out there.  Please help get the word out so I have the opportunity to move forward on the other kits.

Thanks for the interest,

Nick

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central & weekends
Email WWW   IP Logged
4015spdJavAMX
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Livermore, CA
Reply #75 - 10/10/09 at 18:51:23

Nick

Do you have any more pictures yet of the front suspension? Also pictures of your new tranny X-member? How close are you to shipping the first kits?

Thanks

Mike

1970 AMX w/727
1972 Jav-AMX 401 5-speed
Email   IP Logged
g-man
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Casmalia, CA
Reply #76 - 10/11/09 at 05:00:52

Quote from 71amx on 09/23/09 at 03:11:35:
We are just about finished with the front suspension kits that not only eliminate the strut rod, it eliminates the entire front suspension and replaces it with a new engine cross member with rack and pinion steering, tubular control arms, QA 1 coil over shocks, new custom spindles, and disc brake set up, new engine mounts and steering adaptor.  In case you haven't seen any of the posts I have put out, this is a fully contained system that once you entire front suspension and cross member is removed, this will bolt up in place using the factory spots for the cross member and the upper control arm holes.

I looked over the photos and the unit looks very nice.
But it looks like more than I want to change in the majority of MY street cars.
I hope that you are successful in your endeavor, but perhaps we should keep this particular thread dedicated to the strut rod bushing eliminator kit.
This thread perhaps is more for MODERATE suspension modifiers?

Again, good luck, no insult intended,

g-man

AMC daily driver
Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #77 - 12/19/09 at 13:58:30

I am gonna be using the 1 1/8" hexagonal Aluminum tubing for mine, should be a very significant weight savings over stock.

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
buktooth
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Guelph, ONT
Reply #78 - 02/01/10 at 07:26:00

Hello I am the guy selling these on eBay and I’ve been looking at this thread and I got to say I terrified at some of the set ups I’ve seen posted up here. I hope some of those vehicles don’t drive on the same roads I do. First off, I am not an engineer, with these kits I make, the very first thing I did was consult an engineer. Two of them actually. Below I will dispel the myths about these.  

1st the name. They were released as “strut rod bushing eliminators” I just eliminated the word “bushing” in my eBay ad titles so I could type in more text and eliminate the need to make a separate ad for each model they fit.  

2nd –Here’s a myth- “All the parts are readily available at any circle track supply. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/25_Race-Car-Chassis-Control-Arms.html?page=2

Wrong! Anyone who bought them noticed right away that they do not fit. The spacing between the holes is waaaay off.  My early design involved purchasing these, cutting them, and welding them to the proper spacing. My new design is a cnc laser metal piece that has the two holes on it but it is shaped like the steering stop so you don’t have to cut your old strut rod and bolt it underneath it anymore. This lowered it and now needed to be angled to the exact angle of the old strut rods.  

3rd-   “I think his price is too high. You could build them for less.” Maybe if you make the crappy dangerous one I have seen online. After you buy a cad design program, take the time to measure, draw, order the laser metal cutting shop to cut your parts, weld and paint and purchase the high grade fasteners, and ultra strong QA1 chromoly ¾” rod ends, pay the eBay selling fees, and paypal fees, it adds up. That does not include the labor and running around. Infact the price is going up because I am not making that much more than cost on these as it is, and I am having less and less time these days to make them.

You guys who want to make your own go ahead but …..

1. Make sure you use the strongest ¾ inch rod ends/tubes as possible. Don’t use 5/8 or ½ inch. If you have a ford or a chev and your rod points forward then you can use smaller rod end/tube. When your strut rod is behind the a-arm like on amc’s, it is under compression when braking or hitting a pothole. It must be strong. For example it is very easy to crush a pop can between your hands by compressing it, but you will probably never have the strength to pull one apart.

Also you guys who welded it to the so-called frame, it has a very good chance of being sheared off. It is not in the proper projectory. The best place to take the load is where AMC engineered it to be, at the bracket they made.  
2. The a-arm end must be fastened to the a-arm with two bolts. You guys running two rod ends or one rod end with a connection are creating a dangerous situation. You have nothing stopping the tube from any bending motion. The two mounting bolts on mine are to resist bending of the tube. Also you can run into a condition where the lower a-arm will start to try to pivot at the rod end. This will flex and fatigue the a-arm, ball joint, and the strut rod. The two mounting bolts on mine and the factory strut are needed to resist flexing.  
3. The angle of the a-arm end must match the factory strut rod angle to keep the ball joint and a-arm moving correctly.  
4.Another myth … “shortening the length of the rod, the arc that it operates in becomes smaller, and if you compress that side of the car extensively, the short rod will be "pulling" the arm rearwards, not keeping it in the widest part of the arc.  Think of it like a long rod motor vs. a short rod....  the shorter arm "dwells" at TDC for less time...”    
This is slightly true. If this was swinging large distances up and down then yes, a slightly shorter rod will push slightly more forward that the factory but very, very little. It is still better than the 1” total travel from the factory bushings.  

My kits are actually better than a-arms because they resist the forward/rearward motion which is critical in braking and tire loading, yet still allow not too harsh a ride. For street driven cars use this kit and the factory rubber everywhere and the ride is drastically improved. If you’re racing or prefer a more solid feel then use poly bushings with it.  
Guys please make your cars safe!

[img][/img]

Email   IP Logged
A-Sedan
Forum Junkie

No! It is not a
Camaro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lincoln NE
Reply #79 - 02/01/10 at 11:46:40

Thankyou for the enlightenment. I will be ordering a set of yours soon as I get my Javelin out of storage and ready for spring driving. GL

Email A-Sedan   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #80 - 02/01/10 at 12:45:11

Truth #1 - This is a childish attempt to sell your products.

Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #81 - 02/01/10 at 22:21:49

Quote from RamblinMan on 02/01/10 at 12:45:11:

I disagree. I think it's a really good attempt to sell his products.  

RM, don't be offended. There is a stated theory about why buktooth makes his product the way he does. You made your installation differently. The real world test of your installation in your car should prove to what extent those theories are relevent. Remember the story about how science said bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly?

Dave Z

88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
343sharpstick
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Cleveland, WI
Reply #82 - 02/02/10 at 01:47:42

I want some, can you do 'em for 68/69 cars Huh

Email   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Bret Kepner Photo
Barry Allen Engine
BIG Headers

Oreana, IL
Reply #83 - 02/02/10 at 13:38:01

no offense but i have raised my front tires 1-2 ft, off the ground too many times to counts and slammed them back down... Roll Eyes Grin...Mine are working out just fine and I used 1/2 rod ends in chromoly tubing bolted at each end with 2 tabs...

1.277 60ft. 5.95 116.38
9's at 145.11

Email WWW   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #84 - 02/02/10 at 19:15:42

Quote from Hurst390 on 02/02/10 at 13:38:01:
no offense but i have raised my front tires 1-2 ft, off the ground too many times to counts and slammed them back down... Roll Eyes Grin...Mine are working out just fine and I used 1/2 rod ends in chromoly tubing bolted at each end with 2 tabs...

I guess bumblebees CAN fly!   Grin

Email   IP Logged
buktooth
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Guelph, ONT
Reply #85 - 02/03/10 at 03:28:20

Quote from RamblinMan on 02/01/10 at 12:45:11:

I think you either cannot read English or you didn’t read my post at all. If anything I wrote it to help people make their own so that they don’t have to buy them off of me, and so that if they do want to build their own, they could build them as strong as possible. If I was just trying to sell my products I would have posted something up here way back when this thread was started (10/05/08) or maybe three years before when I only sold them locally. If you don’t believe me on how important it is to make them strong, here is a link to some-one who didn’t make them strong enough. Scroll down to the seventh post and look at the picture of the failed strut rod after a wheel stand.   http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/strut-rod-eliminators_topic15890.html
I tried to attach this picture  to my post but it didnt work or I don’t know how.  

Email   IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #86 - 02/03/10 at 03:41:02

In the picture you can see MILD STEEL (read: CHEAP) rod end. Junk.

Email   IP Logged
g-man
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Casmalia, CA
Reply #87 - 02/05/10 at 03:57:05

Quote from buktooth on 02/01/10 at 07:26:00:

Hello I am the guy selling these on eBay
[img][/img]

Well...I'll be picking up a set for my street Gremlin just as soon as I can set aside a little extra money.
These are exactly what I want, without my needing to take the time that I no longer have, to fab something up.
If they work out good, I'll be getting more for my other street cars.

g-man

PS Sometimes when I come onto the forum here I end up not responding the way I would like to. Just to keep the peace.

AMC daily driver
Email   IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 02/05/10 at 17:18:19

Oh come on Frankie, you tell it like it is to me. Don't be shy. What's the worst that could happen? Grin

Steve

IP Logged
buktooth
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Guelph, ONT
Reply #89 - 03/02/10 at 16:57:49

For those who pm'ed me for orders for these. Sorry for the late reply, This site wont let me reply to my pm 's unless I have more than 10 posts .  
I have just finally caught up on orders and I am going to start a new batch. If you want a pair of strut rod eliminators send e-mail me first and let me know what vehicle you want them for  as I make them for AMC, Ford Mustang and Chevy II's, and send payment $275.00(includes shipping)to my paypal address mpetti66@yahoo.com. If you really want to go through eBay e-mail me and I will make a buy it now ad. Make sure the address listed on your paypal account is correct because that it where I will ship it to. Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. These are made in batches and if you dont act fast on this it could be a month and a half before you get your kit.

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #90 - 03/02/10 at 19:32:42

Quote from firecapt321 on 12/19/09 at 13:58:30:
I am gonna be using the 1 1/8" hexagonal Aluminum tubing for mine, should be a very significant weight savings over stock.

Capt, I wouldn't mess with aluminum on a life/death suspension part.  Shocked
These things really DO work great. Easy to install, and even LOOK cool. I love mine. (no, I'm not a shareholder  Grin )

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
dsittler
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

St Clements, Ontario
Reply #91 - 03/02/10 at 20:16:30

I will be getting a set of these for the Spirit, they look real nice and I believe they should work real well......AND........Ken says says there great!!

Derek

Email   IP Logged
Mister Man
Ex Member

Reply #92 - 03/05/10 at 16:34:42

Quote from ken on 03/02/10 at 19:32:42:
Quote from firecapt321 on 12/19/09 at 13:58:30:

Capt, I wouldn't mess with aluminum on a life/death suspension part.  Shocked
These things really DO work great. Easy to install, and even LOOK cool. I love mine. (no, I'm not a shareholder  Grin )

The weight savings might be 2-2&1/2 lbs, if that much, after you made the tubing large enough and thick enough to approach the tensile strength of the stockers. If the goal is to shave unsprung weight then going to coil-overs is where the pay dirt would is.

Steve

IP Logged
A-Sedan
Forum Junkie

No! It is not a
Camaro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lincoln NE
Reply #93 - 03/06/10 at 14:44:29

Quote from dsittler on 03/02/10 at 20:16:30:
I will be getting a set of these for the Spirit, they look real nice and I believe they should work real well......AND........Ken says says there great!!

Derek

I already ordered mine and PayPal the money to him, will let you all know how fast I get them and how they go on etc. GL

Email A-Sedan   IP Logged
dsittler
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

St Clements, Ontario
Reply #94 - 07/01/10 at 17:17:33

Just bringing and old subject up again, I picked up my "strut rod bushing eliminators" last night and installed them this morning. First of all these are extremely well made!! It was well worth the wait to get them. They were easy to install and like Ken said the look really cool   Cool
I only had the car out for a quick drive and found it felt very positive when braking and the front end feels tighter. Over small bumps a little more noise is transmitted into the passenger compartment but that is to be expected. Gotta get it out on some high speed twistys to ge a real feel for them.  Shocked
In my opinion they are worth the money

Derek

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print