The AMC Forum - Ebay aluminum radiators

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
04/25/14 at 01:32:24
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ebay aluminum radiators (Read 2707 times)
speedy94z
AMCer

Ducks eat free at
Subway

Shakopee, MN
Ebay aluminum radiators
10/31/08 at 06:34:05

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1974-AMC-JAVELIN-AMX-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-W-SPA L-FAN_W0QQitemZ290271704364QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290271704364&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Has anyone purchased one of these radiator setups from ebay? They are about half the price of a "Be Cool" unit at Jegs or Summit, so it seems like a steal, but I'm wondering about the fit, quality and cooling ability. Anyone have pictures of this unit installed in their car?

Thanks in advance.

Email   IP Logged
Reagam
Ex Member

Re: Ebay aluminum radiators
Reply #1 - 10/31/08 at 16:42:25

Half the price? They are like 1300 bucks for the same parts list- radiator-shroud- and cooling fans? Haven't purchased one of these. I know about the Ron Davis? ones that look like the stockers except they are aluminum for 5 and change. That is just the radiator though. In looking at the parts list on this radiator you can break down the rough cost of the separate items on the open market- a pair of Spals run around $270 ( with controllers though ),a shroud like that around 75-100 bux ( up to 200 )- which leaves around 300 or so for the rad. I see what they say about construction - yet-  you are smart to chase down whomever has bought one.

Steve

IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #2 - 11/06/08 at 22:04:31

I bought just the fan setup from them and it works great. Only thing I'm going to change is to wire it to the ignition instead of the battery. Right now they stay on for about 10 minutes after I shut the car off. It was cute at first, but now it bugs me.  Grin I also had to get the T-stat housing tapped out to 3/8 NPT for the sensor.

1970 Wild Plum Metallic Gremlin. 401/T-10, CalTrac's, 3:54 Amc-20 Rear End, Moser's.
Best E.T. 12,something sec. :-P Alias... "The Purple Helmet" in
Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
Mr390AMX
AMCrazy

'69 AMX    11.03
@121mph    All
throttle No bottle

Collingswood, NJ
Reply #3 - 11/07/08 at 16:09:36

I bought the aluminum radiator that's in the race car from Entropy-Technology-Corporation-Store on Ebay. Cost with shipping was right around $400. It bolted right up to the stock brackets and sat nicely on the support. Internal trans cooler seems to work fine and everything hooked up without a hitch. The base and top tanks are larger than the old Blackstone ones so it won't simply slide down the same opening...you have to remove the grill, brackets ,etc. to have enough clearance to mount the radiator, but than it all goes back fine.

Check out their store. Delivery took about three weeks as they had to make one up.

Wayne

1969 AMX C/NSS
1970 AMX 360 Auto Bitter Sweet Orange
1987 AMC Jeep Wrangler
AMC Site : www.beam.to/amx
Email   IP Logged
purpleheart
Forum Veteran

10.9's are getting
closer

Orangeville, ONT
Reply #4 - 12/18/08 at 19:07:42

I just ordered this rad, shroud and electric fan set up but I opted for the HP spal fans that cost me a total of $789 USD . I'll let you guys know how it fits and if I think it was worth it . Now I have to wait patiently until it arrives .

Paul

Best time 11.09 @ 119.32 mph 1.51 60ft on M/T 28/11.5-15 slicks

Best ET 11.09 , Best mph 119.32 , Best 60ft 1.49
Email   IP Logged
speedy94z
AMCer

Ducks eat free at
Subway

Shakopee, MN
Reply #5 - 12/27/08 at 07:38:36

Paul, Thanks for the post. I'm excited to see what you think! Keep us posted!

Email   IP Logged
mramc
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pahrump, NV
Reply #6 - 12/27/08 at 08:34:06

I'm pretty sure I got my Spal fans setup from these same people. I got my Aluminum radiator some where else as an internet buy off I think this forum or the other AMC forum. Note to Ken: MY setup is doing the same thing thing yours is. It goes though the first cycle and then does not come back on. I'm thinking the same as Ken get the automatic controller and tap my McRobb  aluminum water neck for the temp sensor. My alternative is the disassemble my Edelbrock EFI system and have the manifold drilled for a second temp sensor. My radiator was the one made with out a drain a number people were bitching about on the forums, but it was about $300 and not the $650 Griffin wants or the $1000 plus some else wanted for an AMC V-8 Aluminum radiator for Javelin / AMX. I need to call the Spal Fan people and talk to them. Edelbrock I threw into a loop. Edelbrock had not considered having a dual Spal  fan setup with the Edelbrock EFI system for the AMC V-8 and have not tested such a setup. So I'm still trying to sort this all out. It all fit fine, just a question of sorting it all out and getting it to run right.
LRDaum

Email WWW mramc mramc none none none   IP Logged
Brek
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

East Bethel Mn
Reply #7 - 12/27/08 at 21:23:39

I havent used that particular radiator, but I have seen one on display at the Carcraft nats last year. The shroud and fans were beautiful but the radiator (in my mind) looked like crap. Who ever they had weld the display unit needs some more schooling on how to weld.

69' amx best et 11.85 @ 116mph
I feel sorry for people who don't drink, they wake up in the morning and thats the best they feel all day!
Email   IP Logged
amxess
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Deerfield Beach, FL
Reply #8 - 02/04/09 at 23:29:13

I bought their fan setup (already had a Griffin aluminum rad). I just connected them to the coil so they turn off when I shut off the key.

amxess

Email   IP Logged
unstable bob gable
Forum Junkie

REAL AMERICAN BAD
AZZ!

Wastelands of Jersey
Reply #9 - 02/07/09 at 07:56:17

I'm running the fan and shroud set up w/ another brand alum rad, and I'm very happy w/ the set up.

unstable bob gable,
AMERICAN ROAD WARRIOR
www.unstablebobgable.com

"Life is a highway...
AND I'M FULLA ROAD RAGE!!!"

1973 AMX
Email WWW usroadwarrior   IP Logged
Ollywood00
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation