The AMC Forum - Mexican Spirit Trivia (VAM Rally)

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/20/14 at 08:45:21
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mexican Spirit Trivia (VAM Rally) (Read 1127 times)
VAM Rambler Hunter
AMCrazy

Vehículos
Automotores
Mexicanos S. A.

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Mexican Spirit Trivia (VAM Rally)
11/16/08 at 04:32:40

1980-1983 VAM Rally

1980-1983 Rally AMX
1980-1981 Rally GT
1981 Rally SST

• The Spirit was introduced by VAM until 1980, not 1979 as one by AMC.  

• All Mexican Spirits came standard with the 282 cubic inches six cylinder engine, set to 132 NET HP / 8.0 : 1 compression ratio for 1980 and 1981, changed to 129 NET HP / 8.5 : 1 compression ratio for 1982 and 1983. 1980 and 1981 Rally GT which came with the 172 NET HP / 8.5 : 1 compression ratio factory-modified high performance version. They all were also restricted to two-barrel intakes and carburators (Motorcraft all, except Rally GT, which had Holley).  

• All Mexican Spirits (except Rally SST) came equipped with individual high-back reclining bucket seats, SPLIT rear seat back, tach-o-meter (VAM-designed DIGITAL on Rally AMX, conventional analog on Rally GT), sports steering wheel, woodgrain on dashboard, 110 MPH speed-o-meter, center console with armrest and Rallye pak, retractable seat belts, electric trunk release (except 1982-83 models, removed by government legislation), full light group (except dome light on Rally AMX) double sway bars, power steering, power brakes, heavy duty cooling system, performance suspension and Hurst-equipped TREMEC 176-F four-speed manual transmission (except Rally AMX ordered with automatic), "sports package" paint scheme (solid color with black-out portions and humble decals), ALL AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT.  

• The differences between the aforementioned equipment in the Rally SST were: digital Quartz clock in place of tach-o-meter, chrome molding package (wheel flares, rocker panels, window frames, bumpers) instead of the "sport package", center console with armrest WITHOUT RALLYE PACK, no rear spoiler available, standard power locks, standard power windows, standard air conditioning, standard electric antena, standard rear defroster and door armrests with integrated safety reflectors, standard vanity mirror on sun visor, dual chrome door mirrors, and "starfish" patern wheel covers.  

• All Mexican Spirits were floor-shift cars; Rally GT was restricted to the four-speed manual transmission, Rally AMX came standard with the four-speed manual transmission and offered the three-speed automatic as an option, Rally SST was restricted to the automatic transmission.  

• No Mexican Spirits ever offered side window louvers, rear window louvers, Tilt/Adjustable Steering Column (in Mexico, it was restricted to automatic column-shift cars), cruise control, electric seats, electric mirrors, five-speed manual transmission, three-speed manual transmissions, column-shift, bench seat, four cylinder engines, V8 engines, magnum wheels, turbine wheels, black-out plastic dashboard or brushed aluminum dashboard, no "small-boot" selector for automatic transmission (1980 AMC AMX without console), leather or vinil seats, non-reclining front seats or one-piece rear seat back.  

• All Mexican Spirits came standard with AM FM Stereo Radio except 1980 Rally AMX (standard Monoaural AM Radio, optional AM FM stereo), and a tape-player radio available as optional equipment for 1982-83 models. The Mexican Spirit never had a whoofer inside the glove box, the Stereo system consisted of two speakers in the back (trunk) and two in the doors.  

• 1980 Rally AMX came standard WITHOUT rear spoiler, being optional equipment. 1981 Rally AMX came standard with rear spoiler. Both 1980 and 1981 Rally GT came standard with rear spoiler. 1982 and 1983 Rally AMXs no longer offered the rear spoiler as the government banned the importation of car accesories, which deleted the electric trunk release and due to the lack of a rear keyhole the spoiler could no longer be offered. Even the 1980 Rally AMX without rear spoiler had the electric trunk release as standard equipment.  

• Rally GT had rear defroster as standard equipment in 1980 and 1981. Rally AMX had rear defroster available as optional equipment in 1980 and 1981. This accessory went away with the government legislation, but the new rear wiper took its place for 1982 and 1983 only as optional equipment.  

• The map/reading dome light was standard in Rally GT and Rally SST, optional in the Rally AMX in all years. All other light accessories were standard in all versions in all years.  

• 1982 and 1983 Rally AMXs incorporated the shortened bumpers, nerfing strips and side caps from the AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport, all keeping the black-out paint scheme.

Mauricio Jordán Márquez

1981 VAM Rally GT - 185 HP 282 Six, Hurst Four Speed, Power Brakes, Power Steering, sway bars,
Email WWW VAM Rambler Hunter   IP Logged
GreasedGremlin360
Forum Junkie

Wanting to trade for
71-74 Javelin or Jav
AMX!

Ft Pierce, FL
Re: Mexican Spirit Trivia (VAM Rally)
Reply #1 - 11/16/08 at 06:58:04

Wow,Mauricio Bravo,you have faithfully researched the history of the V.A.M built AMC's.you should write a book seriously as it would be a very interesting read.maybe even collaberate with those who have reasearched history on the Aussie A.M.I built AMC's or the "Karmman" German built ones too? one big book on foreign built American Motors cars would be fantastic. Cool

1974 AMC Gremlin X 360/904(wanting to trade)
1960 Ford F100 302/C4
1990 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 318/727
2008 Dodge RAM SXT 3.7 V6/auto

Email   IP Logged
VAM Rambler Hunter
AMCrazy

Vehículos
Automotores
Mexicanos S. A.

Reply #2 - 11/20/08 at 08:05:47

Thanks G,  

I am in full disposition to cooperate with the AMC hobby with anything I can as long as I have the knowledge and the means to do so. Our Mexico City friends are working in a project regarding the history of V.A.M. that is almost complete. I'll do my best to keep everyone informed about it, and I really appreciate the interest from the AMC hobbysts regarding VAM.

Mauricio Jordán Márquez

1981 VAM Rally GT - 185 HP 282 Six, Hurst Four Speed, Power Brakes, Power Steering, sway bars,
Aljav
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Reedsburg, WI
Reply #3 - 11/22/08 at 05:32:13

I have allways been interested in AMC built in Mexico, Would love to learn the whole history and see lots of pics when they were new and being built too.  

Did they Build Javelins in Mexico too? Would love to own  some day a Mexican Built AMC here in the states

Allan

69 AMX 10.24 129 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, NAMDRA member #1106
Email   IP Logged
amcinstaller
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Red Deer, AB, Can
Reply #4 - 12/14/08 at 09:52:49

wonder if it would be considered an import?? (very tongue in cheek, sorry Grin)

1980 Amc Spirit GT
Email   IP Logged
GreasedGremlin360
Forum Junkie

Wanting to trade for
71-74 Javelin or Jav
AMX!

Ft Pierce, FL
Reply #5 - 12/14/08 at 20:01:29

Yeah a V.A.M built Gremlin with a worked 282 with a turbo and geared right walking the dog on the Japanese and German imports at the track and when they would call foul just say this baby was Hecho En Mexico! fool  Grin

1974 AMC Gremlin X 360/904(wanting to trade)
1960 Ford F100 302/C4
1990 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 318/727
2008 Dodge RAM SXT 3.7 V6/auto

Email   IP Logged
VAM Rambler Hunter
AMCrazy

Vehículos
Automotores
Mexicanos S. A.

Reply #6 - 01/18/09 at 04:58:13

Thanks guys,  

The strongest limitation over the VAM engines is the exhaust manifold, if you drop headers with dual exhaust you get a power increase of between 30 and 40%. VAM engines are optimized for 80 octane fuel since the mid 70s until 1986. The second strongest limitation is in the models with single barrel carburators. For a cherry on top of cake, change the pistons into flat units, and you get yourself a competitive engine. All this would be pretty basic customization for the engine, you know a lot better than I what you can get with a deeply tuned machine.  

Unfortunately, no VAM Gremlin ever carried the 282, they were restricted to the 232 and 258.  

It's neat to find tweaked high trim Americans (Concords) and Rallys (Spirits) with 282 engines.  

I've made a post on the VAM Javelin in the board with all the information I have been able to get so far. I hope to make a better version soon.

Mauricio Jordán Márquez

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print