The AMC Forum - got turboed

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/21/14 at 07:01:13
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
got turboed (Read 3332 times)
390spirit
Forum Veteran

Supercharged?

N Dighton, MA
got turboed
08/20/09 at 12:19:06

was out the other night with my youngest boy (15) when we had something with a turbo pull up behind us on our way home, stomping the throttle and letting off with the blow off valve poping away Roll Eyes
as we were cruzin at about 40-45 mph he mats it and starts to go around me, i wait till he's right at my door (my mistake) and i pull it back into 2nd and mat it. he pulls a 1/2 to 3/4 car on me when the old mill starts to pull good, thats when he starts to merge back into my lane so i let off and give him the spot.  
he got by me, barely, but he did get by me i gotta give him that Sad

we pull over down the road and talk for a few seconds, i ask him what it runs in the 1/4 and am told 12.8's but has had more work done after that
i ask if he wants to go from a standing start and he declines

he gives me props for staying with him saying "i did have a good jump on you i'm surprised you stayed with me''
i've been beating myself up over this for the last couple days for waiting for him to get to my door before i gunned it, i should have not let him get up on boost before i unleashed it.

NOW I WANT REVENGE  Grin

390spirit

X275 RTCTTFMF
Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Re: got turboed
Reply #1 - 08/20/09 at 21:49:01

Dont worry about it buddy... NOS and turbo's are no different than guys that have to use steroids instead of building real muscle....

Shocked Grin Grin Grin wrong thread again maybe??? Grin

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
purpleheart
Forum Veteran

10.9's are getting
closer

Orangeville, ONT
Reply #2 - 08/21/09 at 04:15:07

I think you would of smoked him if you ran him from a standing start . You were caught playing his game . The turbo cars aren't usually real quick off the line but once they get moving , look out . I have a video of my old 72 Javelin at the track racing a turbo Porshe with the big wing (some kind of 911 type ) . I killed it off the line but it really started to come on after the 330 mark . My car finished at 12.4 @ 109 with the Porshe reeling me in but losing with a 12.8 @ 115 . If I would of run that Porshe from a 45 mph start , I would of lost . Your car was built for 1/4 mile not rolling starts . I think you did pretty good and he most likely knew that if you could stay with him on the roll he might be in trouble if you ran him from a stop start . If you would've hit the gas 1st , I think the results may have been different .

Paul

Best time 11.09 @ 119.32 mph 1.51 60ft on M/T 28/11.5-15 slicks

Best ET 11.09 , Best mph 119.32 , Best 60ft 1.49
Email   IP Logged
TheTortus
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #3 - 08/21/09 at 16:26:55

Aren't you running a pretty steep gear? I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad over it.... he did chicken out when you wanted to go from a standing start.  Wink

If you can't get behind our troops. Feel free to stand infront of them!!!
Email   IP Logged
4015spdJavAMX
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Livermore, CA
Reply #4 - 08/22/09 at 16:24:03

HaHa, I know why you are beatin' yourself up, it's because you wanted to rub his nose in it by beating him after he got to your door  Wink Back in the day, I used to let wanna-be's challenge me ('72 401 4-speed Jav-AMX) the same way, then I'd mat it and wave at them as they went backwards. Obviously my arrogance could have backfired on me if I'd run into something really potent.  embarrassed

1970 AMX w/727
1972 Jav-AMX 401 5-speed
Email   IP Logged
tsanchez
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Chandler AZ
Reply #5 - 08/22/09 at 19:48:25

Too bad your son had to witness it  Grin  Never gonna live it down.

Slingshot starts are tough to time. Wink

Email   IP Logged
390spirit
Forum Veteran

Supercharged?

N Dighton, MA
Reply #6 - 08/23/09 at 14:28:16

on the way home all i kept saying is ''i can't believe i got my azz handed to me by that ''

my boy is tellin my i would have had him if i didn't wait so long to get after it, i was gaining on him at the top of 2nd but had to let off when he came back into my lane or i would have gave him the P.I.T  

i guess if i didn't mess with my shift lite earlier in the night i probley would have taken it to the 6200 limit to shift but earlier i was messing with it and had it set much lower and when it lit up in my face i shifted............when i looked the next day it was set at 4900  

i got an idea where this turbo car calls home so i'm going to see if he wants a rematch Angry

X275 RTCTTFMF
Email   IP Logged
tsanchez
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Chandler AZ
Reply #7 - 08/23/09 at 14:43:28

Reading this reminded me of a similar story from way back so I posted it here in kill stories.  Huh

My buddies would slingshot me all the time screwing around  Tongue Then tell me I had you through 2nd  Wink

Email   IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/24/09 at 15:56:52

Had a very slightly similar experience 8 or 9 years ago in my AMX. Raced from about a 10 mph roll out with whatever Ford's muscle F-150 truck variant was from the nineties. Lightning? Got past him but there was a slowbee in my lane up ahead and I didn't have enough length on the Lightning to cut into his lane ahead of him. Had to jam on the binders ( 4 wheel drum  Grin ) while he, of course, slung shot past, and I swapped ends, driving over a median (with a tapered curb ) and missed a line of parked cars ( but facing the right direction for traffic ) on the opposite side of the road (two lanes per side, wide spacing- plus center lane- broken up by divider at points). I just proceeded in the new direction casually like I just made a Blues Brothers practice run ( remember when Jake J turns and drifts the retired cop car into a parallel parking spot ? - my AMX was just shy of  pulling that off by 6 feet- which is good, since a car was filling my "space"). Ahh, the memories...
   In your case Turbo Boi made a move to head off a "second wind"  pass of him by you. He saw that you were pulling him and forced you to shut down.

Steve

IP Logged
Turbo Tom
Forum Junkie
High Performance

Rustoleum Rambler

Stephenson, VA
Reply #9 - 08/27/09 at 12:33:56

I'll run ya from a standing start with my turbo car. Wink Wink

What was he driving?

1979 Spirit
5.3 LS with a cam
10.60 @ 126
Email WWW   IP Logged
390spirit
Forum Veteran

Supercharged?

N Dighton, MA
Reply #10 - 08/28/09 at 20:32:42

don't even know what it was all i know is it had 4 doors too  Roll Eyes Grin

X275 RTCTTFMF
Email   IP Logged
amcrules00
AMCrazy

'73 F1 Z-code

Deep in the heart of AMC
Reply #11 - 09/07/09 at 14:17:37

Dude, four doors too? Ouch, that's gotta hurt! Angry You're all chafed up there! Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
390spirit
Forum Veteran

Supercharged?

N Dighton, MA
Reply #12 - 09/07/09 at 15:12:46

Quote from amcrules00 on 09/07/09 at 14:17:37:
Dude, four doors too? Ouch, that's gotta hurt! Angry You're all chafed up there! Cheesy

Grin gold bond takes care of the chafing Grin

X275 RTCTTFMF
Email   IP Logged
amcrules00
AMCrazy

'73 F1 Z-code

Deep in the heart of AMC
Reply #13 - 09/09/09 at 00:29:18

Quote from 390spirit on 09/07/09 at 15:12:46:
Quote from amcrules00 on 09/07/09 at 14:17:37:

Grin gold bond takes care of the chafing Grin

Oooh, man that's too funny! Seriously though, are you ready for him next time...when you see him again?  undecided Because you will you know?  Angry

Email   IP Logged
390spirit
Forum Veteran

Supercharged?

N Dighton, MA
Reply #14 - 09/09/09 at 11:19:58

i've been looking for him  Wink

if i can get him to run me from a standing start like a REAL drag race then i hope all he will see is taillights.

i was starting to gain on him when he came back into my lane and ''put the block on me''  
but i gotta give this one to him he was in front  embarrassed

Norm

X275 RTCTTFMF
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print