The AMC Forum - Lowered Front Spindles

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/23/14 at 17:09:50
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lowered Front Spindles (Read 1515 times)
rcrmonte3
Forum Junkie

Happy Hornets Still
Sting....

Waukesha, WI
Lowered Front Spindles
09/21/09 at 13:13:30

I was talking to a friend who has been autocrossing for 30+ years yesterday. He said the lowered spindles are fine for drag racing, and MAYBE road racing, but he's seen several that didn't hold up to the stresses of autocross and short track racing. Strongest way is to cut the springs and/or modify the spring perches and use circle track springs.  
I'm not saying lowered spindles are bad. Just that they may not necessarily hold up well to the stresses of autocross and short track...

Dennis
71 SC/360 autocross/roadrace if it ever gets finished.....
1961 Besasie X3
1974 Mercedes 450SL
39,000hp 2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Email   IP Logged
mikesramblur
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

St Clements, ONT
Re: Lowered Front Spindles
Reply #1 - 09/21/09 at 22:28:30

i've never heard anything good about cutting springs.

1979 Spirit DL 360/904

Email   IP Logged
amcrules00
AMCrazy

'73 F1 Z-code

Deep in the heart of AMC
Reply #2 - 09/22/09 at 00:09:25

Hummm, never heard that before. I alway thought the right way was to lower spindles. Cutting springs has alway been referred to as the cheap/wrong way.  undecided Did you ask what becomes the weak link in lowered spindles?

Email   IP Logged
rcrmonte3
Forum Junkie

Happy Hornets Still
Sting....

Waukesha, WI
Reply #3 - 09/22/09 at 13:19:31

I should have said the lowered spindles are OK--and safe--for street driving and straight line racing. I have seen lowered spindles break on various purpose built autocross cars, not just AMCs, but haven't gotten under the cars to see what broke.

Instead of cut stock springs, several of us (autocrossers) use narrowed lower spring perches and circle track springs, which are naturally shorter than stock and don't really cost that much. If you just want to lower the front of the car and don't plan on doing a lot of autocrossing, the lowered spindles will be OK.
The biggest problem with cutting stock springs is the deterioration of ride quality. I will ask him what the 'weakest link' in the lowered spindles is when autocrossing.

Dennis
71 SC/360 autocross/roadrace if it ever gets finished.....
1961 Besasie X3
1974 Mercedes 450SL
39,000hp 2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Email   IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/22/09 at 19:59:25

I'd be interested too since AMC spindles bolt onto the knuckle anyway. A nice thick ( 3/8ths and above ) tempered steel or even mild steel but I'd opt for a steel alloy that has stronger tensile strength than mild and then use  longer than stock high strength ( but not more brittle maximum hardness fasteners ) shouldn't be weaker than the stock direct bolt on interface between spindle and knuckle. Pinpointing failures of raised ( thus lowering ride height )spindle applications would clear up the question mark about this being a good route to go or not if one intends to compete in turns. The object is to maintain the stock geometry while lowering ride height. Something to consider as a variable, apart from inspecting spindles ( magnaflux ), is using the thickest stock spindles available ( earlier standard drum brake and supposedly- 6 cylinder heavy duty drum ). The difference can be up to 3/8ths". Of course, then you have to make sure the caliper and rotor are spaced (aligned ) the same as stock. If the caliper keys off a spindle mounted bracket then I would think that longer bolts to allow for the caliper bracket thickness would solve that issue.

Steve

IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/22/09 at 20:13:54

If I think about how the lowering adaptor plate works it now becomes the disc brake cailper bracket. The only other issue that comes to mind is properly matching the fastener strength and hardness to the plate hardness and strength and eliminating the possibility that the holes will elongate, the bolts will snap, or the edges of the spindle, adaptor or caliper bracket fretting and causing stress risers. Radiusing the outer hole edges should be sufficient along with chamfering the adaptor edges.

Steve

IP Logged
RamblinMan
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Shreveport, LA
Reply #6 - 09/23/09 at 01:34:33

I don't see how it should make ANY difference in strength. The spindles are what they are whether in stock location or with lowering plates. My plates are 1/2" cold rolled steel with 7/16 grade 8 bolts. I have also had 5/8 plates. The factory bolts are grade 5. IMO, the plates are BY FAR the strongest component in the whole suspension. If the spindle broke with the plates, it would have broken without them.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:15
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print