The AMC Forum - J truck question...

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/28/14 at 10:19:14
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
J truck question... (Read 4626 times)
TheTortus
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Council Bluffs, IA
J truck question...
09/25/09 at 03:31:29

I found a truck here locally and it's advertised as a 73. But I thought they had the full rear window by then (this one has the small one) Huh... It does have the 5 lug axles under it, it's a sportside to boot. What are the big tell alls of an early J truck as far as suspension and parts availability? It's got the metal dash too, with the swept speedo...

Thanks in advance for any insight.  Wink Cool

If you can't get behind our troops. Feel free to stand infront of them!!!
Email   IP Logged
TheTortus
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Council Bluffs, IA
Re: J truck question...
Reply #1 - 09/25/09 at 21:29:47

Did some research myself and I'm thinking it can't be any newer than a 66. It doaes have a 360 AMC in it but I forgot to look at the mounts... Probly gonna pass on it. It's a pretty rust free truck for it's age. I only found one bad cab mount and it's a stepside!  Cool

Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #2 - 09/26/09 at 00:05:55

ok, now you've peeked my interest, do you have any more details......sounds like an ugly truck, I think I'd love it, didn't think they were 5 lug's back then and the 360 is obviously a transplant, do you have any pics or anything else?

theres a real nice ugly FC150 jeep on evil bay right now, real ugly..........if only my bank account didn't keep tellin me to leave it the heck alone for a while

Email rambling_rebel_70   IP Logged
TheTortus
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #3 - 09/26/09 at 00:12:40

Don't have any pictures but I can give you a few more details.  Cool It has the Gladiator grill set up, the stepside is the older flat-fender style, and it was a three on the tree (clutch pedal is under the carpet) The engine bay looks very good considering the crappy cammo paint job. All the hoses are new as well as engine paint. New brake lines, master cyl/booster. It starts right up but needs tires, a rear driverside axle seal and the cab mount in the back driver corner tended to. the rest could be easily taken care of.

Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #4 - 09/26/09 at 00:49:37

ok, you're just teasing me now......does it have a spot to mount the .50 cal sniper rifle too  Cheesy Shocked

what kind of money was the person looking for? (good thing my bride doesn't read internet forums  Grin Grin )

what am I thinking....finish ONE stepside j truck before getting next one.......

just curious

TheTortus
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #5 - 09/26/09 at 00:59:40

They're asking $2000 for it... Grin If you'd like (and I have the time) I might be able to take a couple snapshots of it this weekend for you.

Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #6 - 09/26/09 at 01:21:41

if this was spring I'd consider it, but scrambling for storage and here, everyone who knows I have a shop, is eyeballin' it right now for storage........if its not a bother I wouldn't mind pics and contact info, just wrong time of year (and my bank account sez, well, I'll try and not use its exact words, sez wrong time)

but wouldn't mind tucking the info away should things change, so if you're out and about and its no big deal......(like I need another Jeep here....but like I tell my bride, I'm in the "want" stage of life, the need stage was somewhere back in college)  Cheesy Cheesy

TheTortus
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #7 - 09/26/09 at 02:09:45

I can understand where your coming from... I'm thinning out the herd myself. Just sold one of my 70 Javelins and i'm in the works on selling my F250... I don't want to sell anymore AMCs if I can help it...  Cool

Email   IP Logged
AMC instigator
Forum Veteran

I've created an AMC
menace- My son is

Cook,MN
Reply #8 - 09/26/09 at 04:37:29

It def has to be a dinosaur, since the old dash and grille and flat stepside. But you should get the info since you never know, RR might have what we here call Rigamoretis-  meaning you need more rigs Grin Grin Or even you might have to get it at a later date. Seems they are not hot sellers, so you never know. Mr. Happyface mentioned the FC150 to me, I had this great idea a few years back Grin Grin But the pocket and garages as you 2 said can only handle so many dreams at one time. SH

Low comp bridge pivot motors go fast too! Lots of 1978-80 AMX's, Nurse Bobbis' race car "Wild Thing", Mr. Happyfaces' "Trouble Maker" & many other AMC's. NAMDRA #2398 AMO#8370 Northstar AMC #09
Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #9 - 09/26/09 at 13:18:22

ok, now I'm skeered.....me and mr happyface BOTH noticed the FC150 on evilbay  Cheesy Grin

AMC instigator
Forum Veteran

I've created an AMC
menace- My son is

Cook,MN
Reply #10 - 09/26/09 at 13:43:44

Yes sir! I guess some of us just think alike Smiley SH

Low comp bridge pivot motors go fast too! Lots of 1978-80 AMX's, Nurse Bobbis' race car "Wild Thing", Mr. Happyfaces' "Trouble Maker" & many other AMC's. NAMDRA #2398 AMO#8370 Northstar AMC #09
Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #11 - 09/26/09 at 14:06:13

and that should scare one of us.........

btw, I just oogled it again, its a fc170.......my mistake.....if I can't have it I can at least have it as a PC backdrop

AMC instigator
Forum Veteran

I've created an AMC
menace- My son is

Cook,MN
Reply #12 - 09/27/09 at 14:02:39

You know I should have caught that Roll Eyes But I guess sometimes you hear and read it as you are thinking, not always as it is said. SH

Email   IP Logged
TheTortus
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #13 - 12/09/09 at 18:39:43

Hey, I got pictures of the J-truck that was in question to start this thread. Smiley Took long enough... Roll Eyes Anyway here it is... and they want $2000 for it.

Email   IP Logged
jeepjerry
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Genoa City, WI
Reply #14 - 12/12/09 at 01:31:45

Wow, thats a beauty! Perfect restoration project. Price may be a little high but it looks pretty solid and the interior is quite nice. its also a thriftside ...Shocked...which are kind of rare. What is under the hood? 327, 350 buick, amc v-8, or overhead cam straight 6?

-72 Javelin, 360/727, Baja Bronze, Luggage Rack! Under Restoration
-76 CJ-5, 360/t-18, 5" lift, ,33" tires, 4.56:1 cogs.
-80 Cherokee Chief, 304/727, No rust-from california!
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print