The AMC Forum - 1973 Gremlin Wheels

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/01/14 at 05:57:18
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1973 Gremlin Wheels (Read 1374 times)
CajunAg
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Houston, TX
1973 Gremlin Wheels
10/16/09 at 20:14:51

Howdy AMC experts,

I have a 1973 Gremlin I am going to do a little road racing with. The car I have does not have the original wheels, it has a a mismatched set of what apparently was just lying around.

My question to you all is a recommendation of wheel and tire size (front and rear) for this vehicle. Looks aren't nearly as important as price and availability (ie I can get them at the local NTB or Discount Tire, I am getting short on time).

Thanks for your help!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Fluffy73
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Degenerate

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Re: 1973 Gremlin Wheels
Reply #1 - 10/16/09 at 20:23:48

Depends on which way you want to go, really.  Do you prefer the big fat tire look or the stock look??

I prefer the stock look myself.

On my 6-cyl '70 Gremlin, I run 14x5.5 steel wheels with 195/75/14 White wall rubber. Looks perfect.

On my V8 Hornet, I've got 14x6 Rallye Wheels and run a 205/70/14 RWL. I've had a lot of people compliment me on the look of the tires. They are wide, but not overly wide nor are they overly tall. Perfect fit for the 14x6 wheels and the Hornet wheelhouse (identical to Gremlin)

I have a set of 15x7 aluminum slot mags that I run 215/60/15 rubber on. These get put on the V8 Hornet on occasion. They're very wide, with less sidewall then the 70 series tires. Gives it that "Low and Wide" look.

Anyway, for Road racing, you probably can't use anything bigger than a 15x7 on the back and I would recommend a 15x6 as some wide wheels do rub depending on offset and tires.  My 15x7's run (I believe) a 3 and 3/8ths inch offset plus I'm running a pretty low tire, so no problems yet.

You could probably get away with a 235/60/15 on the back.

'75 Hornet Hatchback 304/5 Speed Chrome Yellow
'74 Hornet Hatchback 258/Auto Maxi Blue
'73 Javelin "Victory Edition" 360/Auto Trans Am Red
'70 Gremlin 232/3spd Big Bad Green

Email   IP Logged
CajunAg
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 10/17/09 at 03:04:52

Thanks for the info. Right now the Gremlin has P185/65R14's in the front and P215/60R15's in the back. I might just get new tires in these sizes and concentrate on new wheels for the next race  Wink

Email   IP Logged
AMXRalf
Forum Veteran
High Performance

AMCNut

Ross, OH
Reply #3 - 10/17/09 at 14:03:12

I'd try the 215's on the front, and if they don't rub, buy some cheap 15 inch wheels 7 or 8 inches wide, and try to get something like a 235/60 or 275/50 centered up.  A 275 is just over two inches wider than the 215 you have, so before you move them to the front see if you have the 215 centered between the spring and fender lip, it helps to roll the fender lip up out of the way to fit a bigger tire.  Assuming it is centered, try and measure up and evaluate if you have an inch or inch and a half to go wider on each side.  If you are gonna be ziggin, allow for body roll.  helps to jack the front of the car up as much as you can so you can look at how close the fender lip gets to the tire when the suspension is compressed.

go to tirerack.com and do a search on tires in the sizes you are considering.  Their tool will help you find performance tires that are available.  I have run a 225/60/15 tire on the front of my AMX, its a size that is still available in some of the performance lines because it was the Mustang GT size for a long time and there is still some demand in that size.  I was able to get Z rated tires in this size.

lastly, there is no way a 185 14 is safe.  For anything.  Not going to be a speed rated tire, most likely is way too old for aggressive cornering, and even if it was brand new and perfect and speed rated its way too small.  No way you are going to find a 14 inch performance tire.  At least for anything bigger than a civic.

You said price was an issue, but if you have any power you are quickly going to be going backwards down the track.  If and when you decide to spend some money on tires, there is a Nitto tire that is basically their drag radial tread compound in a tire that has stiff sidewalls for a streetable road race tire.  There are not many sizes available, best bet for a Gremlin is the 275/40/17 size the Camaro guys use.  Needs something like a 17 x 9.5 wheel, Centerline has wheels that should work.  the nitto you want is a 555 Extreme R2.  R is the drag radial, R2 is the road race.   I see monster flares and 275/40/17 tires all the way around in your future,  Grin
ralfy

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print