The AMC Forum - Challenger was no Contender for the Jav

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
12/21/14 at 10:42:15
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Challenger was no Contender for the Jav (Read 5866 times)
AMXRalf
Forum Veteran
High Performance

AMCNut

Ross, OH
Re: Challenger was no Contender for the Jav
Reply #15 - 06/24/10 at 17:20:39

LOL I saw that one coming.  Lots of SRT8's here running 13.0's stock, well into the 12's with tunes and mods, but no where near Jeff's 9 sec. league with a juiced 468 BBC in a maybe 3300 lb. car.  
ralfy

Email   IP Logged
FrogLeg
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Killeen, TX
Reply #16 - 06/27/10 at 03:36:42

Quote from AMXRalf on 06/24/10 at 17:20:39:
LOL I saw that one coming.  Lots of SRT8's here running 13.0's stock, well into the 12's with tunes and mods, but no where near Jeff's 9 sec. league with a juiced 468 BBC in a maybe 3300 lb. car.  
ralfy

Hey Ralfy.. yea.. about the old 468.. it's now a 540.. I couldn't help it.. they had a sale on balanced rotating assembly's Wink

9's and drive it to work on Fridays.
Sold the altered Dragster to buy the parts and pieces of a tall deck 632 trying to hit the 8sec mark on pump gas without the nitrous.
Email WWW   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #17 - 06/28/10 at 13:16:04

Quote from FrogLeg on 06/27/10 at 03:36:42:
Quote from AMXRalf on 06/24/10 at 17:20:39:
ralfy

Hey Ralfy.. yea.. about the old 468..[b] it's now a 540..[/b] I couldn't help it.. they had a sale on balanced rotating assembly's Wink

Shocked Whew.... thats some big slugs there.... Cool

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
tsanchez
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Chandler AZ
Reply #18 - 06/28/10 at 15:35:59

Yeah Sams club ran a special on 540s  Grin You can get them anywhere now.

Email   IP Logged
Ramairthree
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

You must have CITY & STATE
Reply #19 - 06/29/10 at 15:33:57

Yeah,
  a stock Challenger will not hold up to a real drag car.  But they do make an awesome everyday car.  I have the RT,  an automatic.
My best at one strip is a 13.21 and a 13.35 at another. (two magazines gave a 13.5 for the RT, and one a 14.0- that magazine needs a new driver mod.  although to be honest its plenty easy to mess up your launch on the street tires and run high 13s and even 14s)  RTs with bolt ons and mods and tune or drag radials will hit high 12s, with both mid 12s.
I can't get better than a 1.95 or so 60 foot on the factory street tires.  An SRT should be good for a quarter second faster or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CeDd75UJPs

While a new Challenger might not be a challenger for a real drag car, a stock low 13s car off the lot is no joke.
And man is it comfortable and conveinent for an everyday car.  Not a lot of musclecar era cars came out of the showroom running low 13s at 105.  Maybe more would have with modern radials instead of polyglass of the era, but not most.  Most of them were 14 and even 15 second cars stock.  They may have been easier to modify with bigger carbs, headers, etc. than a modern car, and with gas so cheap who cared.  But for basic mods from stock, remember most of the magazines ran times from cars they already ditched the spare and jack, advanced the timing, pulled accessory belts, etc.  So a stock magazine time in our modern articles would have to do the equivalent of a computer tune to get the "stock" times of the musclecar era.

And the new Camaro SS and Mustang GT are low 13 cars stock, and Mustang GT 5.0 coming out high 12s I think also.  We are living in some awesome times for new musclecars and ponycars.  It will probably be short lived, but it is awesome. The late 70s early 80s had nothing by a longshot on this.  The mid 80s to mid 90s either, even though our TPI 5L and 5.7L GM cars and 5.0  Mustangs were on the right track.  The LT cars were not here.  The LS cars very similar but with much lighter cars.  Hell, we have V6s putting out over 300 crank HP now.  I'm pretty excited over these cars- stock V8s putting out 370, 425, etc. crank HP.  

All I can say is I wish Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, and AMC were here with modern performance versions!

AMC owner since 4/15/10
1971 Javelin SST 360 Console AT

Email   IP Logged
FrogLeg
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Killeen, TX
Reply #20 - 06/30/10 at 05:15:43

Quote from Ramairthree on 06/29/10 at 15:33:57:

We are living in some awesome times for new musclecars and ponycars.  It will probably be short lived, but it is awesome.
All I can say is I wish Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, and AMC were here with modern performance versions!

Right on I do agree with you on this... The best part about the cars is that they are running high 12-low13's with a warranty... Cheesy Wink
  If my "samsclub" setup as TS called it shells out..... I can only warranty that I will be sad. Grin Grin Grin Grin

It would definitely be interesting to see what direction the different companies would have taken now-a-days.  

It is definitely.... solidly.... still a ball to mess with these new to hot rods, new car guys!

9's and drive it to work on Fridays.
Sold the altered Dragster to buy the parts and pieces of a tall deck 632 trying to hit the 8sec mark on pump gas without the nitrous.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print