The AMC Forum - Super Pro vs Pro

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/26/14 at 03:37:54
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Super Pro vs Pro (Read 3385 times)
Glenn Quinn
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Conshohocken, PA
Super Pro vs Pro
11/13/09 at 15:23:09

For the last two years I have been racing Supper Pro class with my AMX. Over that time I have only 3 round wins both have been over other door cars. The car is capable of 8's @ 159 but now I am thinking of removing the electronics and running the Pro, foot brake class. This summer I started to build an Indy Aluminum AMC motor but now am asking why. I just donít see how a door car compete with dragsters going +175mph? †Any thoughts on this move to Pro?

The "X", 8.74 @ 161.54
Email   IP Logged
Hornet_X
Ex Member

Re: Super Pro vs Pro
Reply #1 - 11/13/09 at 16:01:49

Glenn, I had the same issue with the Hornet when i was running it several years back, at that Time the ET cut off for the pro class was 10.00, to dial elims. i had to dial it 10.00 or slower.
now in the last year or two, they have lowered the et for the Pro class down to 9.50. Anything any faster was required to run super Pro. As you know that is delay box racing, and IMO not as much fun.
At our local track, In pro a .030 or better light and you will go some rounds.
In the Super pro class you better have .015 or better lights, or just load your car up and go home.
Thats My outlook.
Personally we run on weds. nights in a class that is called Big Dawg, anything goes in that class, and generally we are one of the fastest cars there.
and as far as the UMTR goes, they have street stick, and Quick Stick!

IP Logged
StickShifter
Site Moderator
High Performance

8.009 & 170.30 @
2700# NA & 7.03
@ 198 w/N2O

Ypsilanti, MI
Reply #2 - 11/13/09 at 18:00:05

Glenn, you're in the same boat as I am.  I have been the fastest car in Pro for the last two years.  Milan hasn't enforce a cap on ET for the class yet but if I ever win a race or two, I'm sure someone will complain.  I also do not like the idea of box racing, just not for me.  Then again, the guys in no-box have adjustable transbrake buttons so I'm still at a disadvantage with the foot released clutch.

Making more power to run a bracket race doesn't make a lot of sense.  But I really like going faster!  I am hoping to run in some other class type races next year just to mix things up a bit.  

Personally I would like to see some Quick 16 door car races with no delay boxes.

This is why I am going to experiment with the 10.5W class at Milan next year.  I will be no way near the top of that crowd but it will be interesting and different.  I like the idea of racing door cars that are faster than me.

http://youtu.be/z1zc7OK9wzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk4XprI-rCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtX6JZPfBi4
Email   IP Logged
Steve OB
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Lodi, OH
Reply #3 - 11/14/09 at 00:03:26

IMO, you need a purpose build car for bracket racing as well as the skill & determination to win. If you want to go fast look into the heads up type racing or something where you are rewarded for fast. The thing with bracket racing weather it be box or no box is there are so many people out there that are on kill with their lights & with their consistancy that it is difficult to win unless you are set up the same way. Fast is not a problem. Making that fast car repeat within a couple of hundredths is the problem as well as honing the reaction times down to the same margin.  

The best way to become competative is practice & the best way to make the car consistant is to forget about fast.  

I love No Box. I always liked the way it was with footbraking but around here those days are over. An adjustable button is a big advantage on a fast car.  

Kevin, have you ever thought of a line lock on a hyd. clutch?  

Just my .02

Steve Obertanec
http://www.morethanafan.net/stevandracing
Email WWW sobertanec rcrgoblin   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #4 - 11/14/09 at 02:54:09

I once had a 9 second stock frame / stock front suspension '70 AMX which weighed 2850#'s. Very good race car and consistent. I realized it was not Super Gas material as those cars typically ran low 9's against my high 9, had tube chassis which react better and my 451" engine didn't have the grunt off the line as their 540"and larger  engines which are also better. All items add up to better reaction time capabilities and the inherent advantages of being the chase car instead of the chased. Realizing the limitations I had I raced 10.90 Super Street. Now I had the big MPH car that did the chasing and my torque advantage lead to better reaction times against the class.  
It's all about knowing your strengths and weakness, what the class is all about and if or where you fit in.
You probably would have the reaction / leave advantage to go with a huge MPH / chase advantage. Not to mention they red light first.  
At this point, what do you have to lose?

NHRA Stock Eliminator (D/S) Drag Racing
1970 AMC AMX
Autolite 4bbl 390, 4-speed
MACH Development Engine
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
AMXRalf
Forum Veteran
High Performance

AMCNut

Ross, OH
Reply #5 - 11/14/09 at 14:39:24

I like foot brake racing, so I am not in the same league as most of you guys.  I have friends that run dragsters, some of whom have won hundreds of thousands of dollars, and you know, a high end dragster is what it takes to run with those guys.  I watch 60 foot times that don't vary to two or three decimal places, ET's that don't vary more than 0.01 through the day, weather station programs that predict when it will vary with conditions, and losing packages of 009 to 015 and I just walk away.  

Pro is getting to that point around here.  I heard an azzwipe at a show say he was going to hide a box in his car because (he thinks) "the guys that win in pro are hiding boxes".  I know for sure some of the guys aren't and I wanted to deck the guy that thinks its OK to cheat because he's gettin beat, but where there is smoke there is fire, and he was maybe 350 lbs, so I shut up, and he might actually be right.  The tracks here let guys run pro and super pro and "unplug the box".  So having a box isn't grounds for disqualification.  No body ever checks.  EVER.

If you want to win in super pro, you need a dragster.  Some of us are still winning rounds in Pro with foot brake cars, but its getting harder and harder.  

The last foot brake race for good money here, guys were putting a low chip in so you couldn't tell they were using their trans brakes.  Some of them got caught, we all got a lecture, but nobody got sent home and told to never come back because they were a cheating azzwipe.

thats racin.  I will be foot brake and UMTR racing.....
ralfy

Email   IP Logged
Turbo Tom
Forum Junkie
High Performance

Rustoleum Rambler

Stephenson, VA
Reply #6 - 11/15/09 at 18:25:44

Glen why did you lose against the digggers?  
When I lose I can almost always blame myself, as my car is better than I am.
Pro at Mason Dixon does not allow a 2 step or a trans brake.
The worst light of the guy who won the last race I ran at was an .017
He also was jumping between a dragster and a door car and won BOTH classes!

« Last Edit: 11/15/09 at 21:18:17 by Turbo Tom »  

1979 Spirit
5.3 LS with a cam
10.60 @ 126
Email WWW   IP Logged
mpowerptg
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

BunkerHill, WV
Reply #7 - 11/16/09 at 14:53:22

I have my car set up so i can run both, i just take the box out to run pro. i have found i can do well in both classes . my friend ronnie has a camaro that runs 9.50 and runs both, he finnished 4th in super point this year, with a average package of .018, i think it all depends on how you †like to drive, what you most comfortable with, and †have to be on your game in both classes.

« Last Edit: 11/16/09 at 17:02:23 by mpowerptg »  

68 AMX drag car 71 SC 360 74 AMX 4speed 70 SST
Email   IP Logged
SG128
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Bucks County, PA
Reply #8 - 11/17/09 at 23:34:08

Glenn-

Since nobody else has suggested it (and I'm sure more than a few will cringe but), I will....  consider these ideas:  
-Take the Pro-Mod style wing off the car and replace it with a more conventional "flat" deck spoiler.  That style should be plenty for the stability you looking for plus, your visibility can't help but increase.  It might make those diggers easier to find sooner in the run and help you see some more win lights.
-Put a throttle stop on the car and give Super Gas (9.90 index) a shot.  Mid-150's on the stop would have you right in the middle of the pack speed-wise and as light as the car is, you shouldn't have any trouble hitting the .370 'tree we run with here in D-1.  If you want to give it a shot, come out to one of our Super Gas Association races next year.  Low-key, no pressure and most of all, FUN.  If you like it, then hit an "Open" or even a Divisional and go from there.
Give me a call anytime if you want ....

-Don

Race to WIN, be FAIR, have FUN and BE SAFE!
NHRA 1448 S/C & E/T, 128 S/G
Email   IP Logged
gman
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Unionville CT
Reply #9 - 11/19/09 at 02:18:05

every now and then i race my stocker in s/p because of the two step i run and did pretty good at the mopar show made it to the semis and raced a dragster  i had a .019 to his  .026  i broke out by a thousand or two,he was on his dial,but some times it screws those guys up,,they have to wait over five seconds on the chip

running pro ,you have to get the accerator pedal set up just  right so the car runs consistant and if your use to running a delay box car its easy to add or take out delay but just pressing some buttons,,but not that easy in pro if the car is a slower car and has high 60' 1.700-1.600 ,not to bad to work with on the tree ,,if you have a light car big engine,low sixty foots  1.400-1.300  makes it real easy to go red,,thats the issue i have runnig the two step off the brake pedal easy to go red  
if you go back to pro stagger the front end "alot"

gmonde

"your not out shape untill you see the tower"

gman
Email   IP Logged
Glenn Quinn
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Conshohocken, PA
Reply #10 - 11/24/09 at 20:07:49

I received my practice tree last week; I have till March to learn how to get off the top yellow. Looking at the way the car is running now and going to a bigger motor for 10í, I canít see holding it back to run 9.00 for Div 1. I am going to stay with Super Pro. I just need to stop making stupid mistakes.  

Don,  
I will be calling you next month. I was at a few of the SG races this year and they look like a lot of fun.

Glenn

The "X", 8.74 @ 161.54
Email   IP Logged
mpowerptg
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

BunkerHill, WV
Reply #11 - 12/09/09 at 21:30:57

Who is doing your new engine glen?  how big will it be?

68 AMX drag car 71 SC 360 74 AMX 4speed 70 SST
Email   IP Logged
Glenn Quinn
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Conshohocken, PA
Reply #12 - 12/11/09 at 02:43:01

The new +/- 477Ē Indy motor is being done by S & S Speed of Kingston, PA. They did the 418Ē in the car now. This motor has not been out of the car for two full years and continues to get faster Smiley. Very late in the year I made two small changes †Wink that put the car constantly in the 8.70ís - all motor. Since the 418 is running so very well I will start 2010 with it.

The "X", 8.74 @ 161.54
Email   IP Logged
DragRacingSpirit
AMCrazy
High Performance

My Spirit Cordova

Mexico, Mo
Reply #13 - 06/24/10 at 02:31:50

My problem running pro class with my Spirit is that there is no way to leave consistent. The car is to quick to leave off the bottom yellow so I have to try and make myself see the last yellow, give a mental pause and then go.

It is just not possible in this senario...at least for me....to have any type of consistency on the lights. I am either slow or red light...very seldom can I find that middle ground.

I guess beings that I run a slush box and trans brake I need to try one of those fancy high dollar transbrake buttons but I have issues thinking about spending that kind of money on what to me seems like a gimmick.

My other problems are that I like the thrill of going fast...that is more important to me at this time....but where I run 9.0 is the fastest you can go and run in the pro class. I have a feeling that I am going to be faster than 9.0 the next time I make it to the track.

Best 1/4 mile 8.99 @ 149 mph, 1/8 mile 5.71 @ 120 mph, 60 foot 1.27, NA no power adders
Email   IP Logged
Glenn Quinn
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Conshohocken, PA
Reply #14 - 06/25/10 at 13:05:42

Sometimes things donít go as planned. The new motor is pushed back to next year due to a head problem. This year the 418 and trans was rebuilt and installed, and I had 8Ē cut off the wing and removed the "X". The trans and converter are out of the car now and being rebuilt, again Huh. On the bright side when it goes down the track it runs consistently Wink, and there is a lot of racing left this year. †

The "X", 8.74 @ 161.54
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print