The AMC Forum - Randy Guynn.. Performance American Style

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/28/14 at 11:03:14
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Randy Guynn.. Performance American Style (Read 9617 times)
amx1970
Site Moderator
High Performance

Jersey
Randy Guynn.. Performance American Style
01/10/10 at 05:01:45

Anyone know what has happened to Randy Guynn and Performance American Style?? Is he still in business??  He doesn't answer his phone or emails as of late and owes me a set of pistons!!

Email   IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Re: Randy Guynn.. Performance American Style
Reply #1 - 01/10/10 at 20:36:35

If you can't contact him direct Andre Jacobs might know.

IP Logged
gregscram
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Oakwood, IL
Reply #2 - 01/15/10 at 05:01:10

He got me on a set of Indy heads,and hasn't answered my phone calls or e-mails.
 Greg

Email   IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/16/10 at 05:36:59

Hmmmm, it's been 15 months since I last talked to Randy. Always had good deals with him in the past. I'll ask Andre if he knows anything. Noticed his website was last updated in December.

Steve

IP Logged
garryjav
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

joppa md
Reply #4 - 01/17/10 at 17:00:44

Greg are you saying you paid him for a set of indy heads and never got them?

Garry
71 amx,79wag,84 cj7.90mj,90xj,94zj,98xj
Email   IP Logged
amx1970
Site Moderator
High Performance

Jersey
Reply #5 - 01/17/10 at 22:45:43

Quote from gregscram on 01/15/10 at 05:01:10:
He got me on a set of Indy heads,and hasn't answered my phone calls or e-mails.
Greg

Huh

got my pistons..Sorry to hear about your heads..

Email   IP Logged
gregscram
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Oakwood, IL
Reply #6 - 01/18/10 at 00:21:29

Quote from garryjav on 01/17/10 at 17:00:44:
Greg are you saying you paid him for a set of indy heads and never got them?

I got my heads but were not exactly what I ordered and the price was higher than what he told me.
 Greg

Email   IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/18/10 at 00:32:55

Was the shipping higher?  What was different about what you received?

Steve

IP Logged
gregscram
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Oakwood, IL
Reply #8 - 01/19/10 at 04:25:17

Quote from IAM on 01/18/10 at 00:32:55:
Was the shipping higher?  What was different about what you received?

Steve

I paid for titanium retainers and got steel,paid for the studs and guide plates and never got them,paid for gasket match,and no port work at all was done.He sent no paper work at all,and that's when he wouldn't answer e-mails or take my phone call.
 Greg

Email   IP Logged
IAM
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/19/10 at 16:09:44

Time to get a friend on the phone to query him about what's up. I've never heard of Randy being a problem businesswise.

Steve

IP Logged
AMC_Fan
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pasadena, TX
Reply #10 - 02/11/10 at 05:06:22

George Gudat ordered 1970 stock style forged pistons from me. I ordered them exactly as he asked for by a job number which Venolia had built the exact same piston for me before.Estimated delivery was about 3 weeks. About 4 weeks, no pistons, George contacted me and I checked on them. Was told they did not have a complete set of 8 of the correct raw forgings. I relayed that right to George.Some weeks went by, George contacted me again asking when he might get them. I contacted Venolia and was told they were going out that week. The pistons arrived, they were made with a "D" dish, not what George ordered. I immediately called my Rep at Venolia to see why they were not built to my specs. He put me on hold, came back, and told me the Machinists knew a "D" dish was a better design so he built them that way. I said he should have built what I ordered but I would contact the customer to see if he would/could accept these. I contacted George and explained the issue and told him I could return them and have them re-made correctly. He plainly told me he would talk to his customer and that I was not to return the pistons until I heard from him.After 4 weeks and George had not contacted me, I cantacted him. He said in our last conversation he told me to return them. I reminded him of exactly what he told me & his reply was " right".Estimated time for new pistons, 3 weeks.  

Now, I did not return the pistons until the beginning of the next week because I took and old original 1968-69 piston, cut a dish in it very much like the 1970 piston had and included it in the box when I returned them. Also, this was near Thanksgiving and at that time of year we have 3 holidays in 5 weeks time. Venolia Rep called me 3 times to verify the exact piston dish shape. Now remember they have built the exact pistons for me before, you can see the picture on my web site.

I changed phone companies in late October because a new service was offered which would serve me at a better price. But, I was not aware that some new cable had to be installed[fiber optic]in our complete neighborhood before all of my features would opperate. So, my Voice Mail did not work. This was a major cable job as it took some weeks and required road tearing up, replacement for new underground system to replace the old. And, my original Caller I.D. , computer operated ,was lost near this time because of a Virus I got dealing with the shipper for an overseas customer. so, I am down to plain old e-mail, and catch me on the phone, no messages, no caller I.D. to even try to return missed calls from. I am not happy but that is what I have to work with.

About 3 -4 days before the remake pistons arrived George stared acting like I was ripping him off even though we have had lots of dealings in years past with no problems. And we have discussed SS/AMxs for hours when he was tryiong to learn as much about them as he could from various folks. He starts trying to contact me thru Private Messages from AMC posting sites and inquires publicly if I am still in business. The same time he is at this his pistons have been sent. I contacted him thru one of the P.M.s he sent on another site. His pistons arrived, I checked them, they were again not built correctly. Close but not 100% right. I tried to call George immediately to see what he wanted to do. No answer. I shipped pistons, called immediately when I returned, 19 rings, no answer. After 6 P.M. my time I call again, Answering machine pics up, I leave the message they are on the way, but not 100% correct, please call me when they arrive.

No, I get P.M. from other AMC site berating me because I don't answer my phone. I don't have a simple answering machine, etc. As I explain each and every issue he brings up he continues to act like I am not dealing with him fairly. I explain the phone system says "mail box is full" but it is not even working. I explain I tried a simple answering machine when problems arose but the system shuts the call off whgen it gives the "full" message. I guess he thought if he came here and put in his gripes it would change the facts. It does not.

Facts are, I did all I could to get his pistons correctly, and quickly. The day before his 2nd set arrived he was asking for the set sent back weeks before. I lost my butt completely, it costs me money for him to get his pistons. #1, there was a proice increase, he did not pay it, I did. I paid shipping 3 times, standard to get them, Priority to return them, Priority to send 2nd set to George.  

I am still not happy I did not get exactly what was ordered. Also I am not happy to have a P.O.ed customer. Not happy to loose money. Not happy I had some unfortunate communications problems. George too seems to have a communication problem as I tried several times to contact him throughout this ordeal. sometimes I got him, sometimes I did not, and many times his phone rang and rang and no answering machine never picked up. Why?? I don't know, maybe he didn't turn it on, maybe it needed a new tape, I just do not know.  

George just told a portion of the issues, not all of them. this should have gone smoothly as most of my deals do, but it did not. It is not my fault. It is not Georges' fault, it is indeed the manufactures problem which in turn caused us both problems and costs me money.

I like George, always have, & consider him an asset to the AMC hobby in lots of ways. But if you are going to go in pulbic and tell a story , TELL IT ALL,  
Randy Guynn

Randy Guynn
Performance American Style
Email   IP Logged
amx1970
Site Moderator
High Performance

Jersey
Reply #11 - 02/13/10 at 05:25:35

Randy,you need to tell the whole story too..

After the  wrong pistons were sent,we spoke on the phone and I had to check with my customer,I said I would get back to you..I called you back and left a message on your voicemail(when it wasn't full)..Unbeknownst to me,you never got the message,YOU NEVER TOLD ME THAT YOU CAN'T GET YOUR PHONE MESSAGES...So,assuming you got the message,I waited another 4 weeks and called you(not the other way around as you claim),to which you tell me" I never sent them back,I'm waiting on you"..Totally shocked,I sucked it up and told you to return them..Another four weeks.,I call...No pistons..You never told me that you delayed sending the old ones back! More delays..The Holidays come,I realize these pistons will be further delayed,No problem..Another four weeks,I call for a week straight at all different times..No answer,no return phone calls..So, now I start emailing you on all the different links on your site for several days..Still no reply..Am I worried at this point..YES..Do I think there is a problem?? YES..Do I feel I'm being avoided? YES..

As a result,I went on two websites and asked if anyone has seen you around because I was fearful you were MIA or out of business..My customer paid 1K for pistons he was waiting over 3 months for and I had no more excuses for him.I am sympathetic to your phone issues but what business doesn't get a backup phone/answering machine?? How much business did you lose as a result?I would have sent you a free answering machine to put on a home phone to help you out had you even told me you were going to be without a phone..Plus,you had no internet access to email me back but yet you're on other AMC websites in the chat room?.Hmm? Huh..

I never made any derogatory statements or accusations of theft about you or Performance American Style,however,the inability to get some type of response from you is soley your negligence.. After being more than patient,polite and cordial to you Randy,(3 months worth),It was the fact that I could not get you on the phone or email after several weeks of trying that got me to post this thread.. I was concerned and I had to take action..

I have an answering machine (no tape,its digital)and a caller ID,Randy and Performance American Style has not called me  ...The pistons showed up not long after these posts were made..They appear to be exactly what I ordered..

Email   IP Logged
AMC_Fan
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pasadena, TX
Reply #12 - 02/13/10 at 18:38:28

This will be my last posting on the topic of George and the Piston fiasco. What George says is true to a big extent. But he cannot seem to understand some of the issues that have already been explained to him and continues to raise these in public so I feel I must reply in public because I think the vast majority of folks can understand it even if you can't get it.

George, if you called and left a message, as you put it, ''When my voice mail was not full" then that would have been the few days AFTER my new phone provider had hooked up their service and my old provider had not shut down my voice mail.There were absolutely no messages on my mail box the day that my new service was hooked up. There could have been messages left before the old provider killed their system but I had no way to access my mail box from my old provider.  

Delay of piston return to Venolia. I did not think that delaying sending the pistons back by 3 days was anything that would hurt things or needed to be reported to you. I only did this because when I called Venolia to get the RGA I did not feel good about the discussion of the top of the piston shape with my Rep. So, I decided to machine the dish on a 1970 piston into a 1969 piston to send along as a sample. As I stated earlier, the 2nd set of pistons were not what I ordered as the piston top they came with is not a 1970 piston top. You stated here that it is exactly what you ordered. If you think that piston is exactly what you ordered then you have no idea what a 1970 model 390 piston looks like. It has a completely flat dish, not a hump in the center of the piston, which is what they built for the 2nd set.  

Your calls: You do not seem to understand that you could call during this time period for a week or a month. If you got no answer then I was on the phone with a customer or a supplier, or I was not here. A lot of my customers call me on their lunch break. I am just guessing but you most likely think lunch breaks are anywhere from 11 til 2, and you would be correct, but extrapolate that to 3 different times zones and it would be fairly easy to see I am on the phone nearly none stop for 4-5 hours during that time period.In short, if I was on the phone or away, you could not leave a message.

E mail: As I already explained I never received any e mail from you. Had I received one I certainly would have replied , or most likely called you as I am smart enough to know full well that e mail is a very unreliable source of communication. All of us have sent email that never got to it's intended destination.  

I am a little taken aback at this statement, My customer paid 1K for pistons and waited 3 months to get them. WOW, I charged you $789.00 and I normally make about $50.00 on a set of pistons. But you make $211.00!!!!! I must be doing something wrong. Many of my customers complain about the costs of Venolia pistons at the price I charge. I had to pay $5000.00 to be a distributor for Venolia. I feel that $50.00 profit is a fair profit for me. I certainly wish I could clear $211.00 on each set I sell. On your set, which had a price increase before I was sent the 1st wrong made set, I lost money when they arrived. Then I spent even more money sending them back Priority, and then sending the 2nd set to you Priority.Next you state your customer waited 3 months, Wrong. Total wait time was about 5 1/2 months, not 3 months. Does this look bad?? Sure does. This is the longest time period ever gone by on any set of pistons I ever ordered from Venolia. You go on to say you had run out of excuses to tell your customer. Why not just tell the truth. Excuses do not get the job done in most cases. The truth usually does even if some folks cannot understand it.

Answering machine you bring up yet again: Been explained in private and in public, No One, can leave a message on an answering machine when the line is dead.  You have already been told I tried hooking up an answering machine and it could not get a message because the line was cut off as soon as the " mail box is full" message was given out. I do not know how much business I lost. I am sure I lost some business. But, I took care of the customers I had as I always do. Call Me and I answer the phone and I stay on the phone until the customer has all the questions he has answered to the best of my ability no matter if it is 3 minutes or 3 hours. Your answering machine may be digital, but it does not always work. I know this for a fact because I did call you and the phone rang off the wall, never picked up so a message could be left.

No Internet Service? Where did you ever get that idea?? I never said I had no internet service EVER. I never said I had no e mail. I said I never got an e mail from you, and that is a 100% fact. I also never said you made derogatory statements about me. I said you started acting like I was ripping you off.

Caller I.D. : You are 100% correct, you never had Performance American Style I.D. left on your caller I.D. And you NEVER have had. The name that would show is Marilyn Guynn @ 713 477 7179. That is the ONLY name & number that has EVER shown on any caller I.D.  I would think you would already know that by looking at your caller I.D. Last name is not real common, and the number is the same you have dialed for weeks. How hard is it to understand that you were indeed called but your machine did not pick up??

George, you can post anything you want here, I will not reply to any of it. Hack away

Randy Guynn
Email   IP Logged
amx1970
Site Moderator
High Performance

Jersey
Reply #13 - 02/14/10 at 20:36:11

No problem,I'll re-iterater my points again and we'll end the thread..

I understand your explaination for the inability to be able to contact you..I said already,I am sympathetic to your inability to have phone lines installed in less than 4 month..I'm not hacking at you Randy nor did I start airing out the sorted details about this IN PUBLIC because I realize that I played a part in this whole mess too..But,how am I at fault for this blowing up??  Re-read all my initial posts in this thread and I never went into any detail about what transpired here....I DIDN'T MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS,YOU DID!!..I asked if anyone has communicated with you,that was it!!..You felt the need to attack me to defend you lack of communication with a paying customer(and friend or so I thought) and continue to make yourself out to be innocent..Like a famous person once said"He Doth Protest too much!"I don't believe all your excuses for not getting back to me and there is proof here I am not the only one who has had these problems(AND OTHERS!!) with dealing with Performance American Style..Whether or not you are innocent or not is even important anymore,I was going to let this die but you want to continue this further even though the bad PR is going to hurt Performance American Style even more...
    I got my slugs,i'm happy...only got 9 pistons! I know Venolia makes 10 in a set...What happened to the last one?Did you keep it for that other set you had that wasn't complete you told me about?..Maybe it fell out of the box? That's fine,I don't need it anyhow..A crafty individual might order 8 sets of pistons and keep one from each set and you got a FREE set of forged pistons!Now,I'm not saying you did that,but where is the 10th slug??
   I couldn't recall what the total amount I paid you,it was nearly 6 months ago,I estimated it around 1K when I was writing it rather than going and finding my reciept..(easier to type than 859.99 or whatever the amount was) Didn't even charge my customer for them yet,it's on my credit card..SO,the amount is what I paid for them..

Clouding of the issues aside..I repeat,I asked where you were on this forum because I could not get a hold of you for almost two weeks straight,via phone,email or otherwise..I had my concerns and had no other way to get a hold of you and this was my only recourse..It was not a bashing at you,although you have made it as such.. you're pissed at me because other people have chimed in and aired their issues with you as a result..THAT IS NOT MY FAULT,Deal with them.
  My caller I.D shows the phone number and yours never showed up and still hasn't..If you had any real business sense,you would have offered up an APPOLOGY for the communication issues you had in this rather than dodging your responsibility in it all..Had you done that,I would have deleted this thread and go on our way..Instead you got combative with this and decide to get on the defensive..Its NOT my fault you had no phone,no voicemail,no email and didn't have the foresight to come up with a secondary way of communicating with your paying customers.. That's just bad planning and bad business as far as I'm concerned..A good way to ruin your business,my guess is you don't give a darn..
   I won't expect Randy Guyyn and Performance American Style to swallow some pride and offer up an appology for his role in all this..I was more than patient,never gave you a hard time about the delays,tried repeatedly to communicate with you through several different ways to no avail..I never said a derogatory word about Randy or PAS until prevoked..I asked if anyone has seen you on two forums..All I get are more excuses and attempts by you to save your reputation at my expense..
  My phone number works...Call me if you want to talk..I promise,I'll call YOU back..
 If we are done now,I will lock this down and remove it in one week..

Email   IP Logged
AMC_Fan
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pasadena, TX
Reply #14 - 02/14/10 at 23:50:49

Greg Hoad and his bad memory concerning our Indy head deal for 6 1/2 years ago.  

I prefer to think Greg has a bad memory and not that he is making things up. This past NAMDRA meet it will be 6 years since Greg bought those heads. The ONLY thing at all which he has posted which is true is that he got no paperwork. I have sold many, sets of Indy heads but I remember this set very plainly for 2 reasons. #1 it is the only set that I ever received that were not sent exactly as I had ordered them. [the only difference was upgraded springs} #2, it is one of only 2 sets of Indy heads I have personally delivered.

Greg seems to do all he can to not tell the facts here, but like I say, I prefer to think his memory has just failed him. He made the statement that "He got me on a set of Indy heads & hasn't answered my phone calls or emails." And he leaves it at that I presume tin order to slam me and make folks think I just ripped him off. But, Gary asked a question that basically asked if he paid for heads & never got them. Gregs reply, " I got my heads but they were not exactly what I ordered & the price was higher than he said." And, Greg left it at that without any explaination. Again, I presume to try to make me look bad, But, what he said was true, they were not 100% what he ordered and they were higher[upgrade springs] But... he did not have to accept them, he chose to.  

Next, Steve asked was the shipping higher, and what was different, etc. This is where Gregs memory goes completely haywire. He mentions everything you can think off except the facts. The ONLY thing different at all from exactly how he ordered the heads was a set of Upgrade Springs, which he ended up only paying 1/2 price on.  

Gregs heads were delivered EXACTLY as he ordered them except for the springs. When Greg ordered his heads he told me he wanted the standard .600 lift springs with Titanium retainers. He plainly told me he intended to go to a .650 roller the next season but wanted the Titainuim retainers now. So, when I ordered his heads, I made mention to my Rep at Indy that I wanted the standard .600 lift springs with Titanium retainers, and would the be sure that the retainers would work with my customers new cam for the next season which would be .650 lift.

Usually about 2 weeks to get a set of heads in from Indy. I was packing my truck to go to NAMDRA when the heads for Greg arrived. I opened them and my invoice as soon as they arrived. I clearly saw that there was an extra charge for the Upgraded .650 lift springs. I called Greg immediately. I explained to him that they had installed the upgrade springs. He said he did not want them and did not order them. I told him no problem but that I was loading to go to NAMDRA and that his heads would have to wait until I returned. I told him I would order in the standard springs and swap them out. He then said if I was coming to NAMDRA go ahead and bring them as he was going to be there. Right then and there on the phone, I told him since I was delivering them, and did not have to pay shipping that he could have the springs for 1/2 costs and that I would eat the other 1/2. Fine, he says we will settle up at NAMDRA.  

I arrive at NAMDRA late Thrusday night.  Greg comes by my space Saturday to get his heads. We open them, look at them, he pays me the extra 1/2 costs on the upgrade springs and asks for his invoice. Well, my dumb butt in haste of packing for NAMDRA did not print his invoice. Well, he ain't happy. Like a piece of paper is going to somehow determine how fast his car goes or something. Now, his heads are delivered 100% exactly as he ordered them, they are Port Matched. Titanium Retainers are there on the heads. Studs & guide plates are part of ever pair of SR Heads Indy sells. But, here is the 100% proof that Greg is mistaken about no studs or guides. I have NEVER been to any NAMDRA meet and not had an over stock on both ARP Studs and P.A.S. guide plates. If fo any reason Indy did not put them on his heads then there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why I would not have just handed him a set right Then & There.

Greg states he paid for Titanium retainers but got steel Paid for studs & guide plates but did not get them. Paid for a gasket match but did not get it. No port work at all, and no paperwork. For some reason Greg completely forgot what the extra charge was for. SPRINGS Now, I ask you, what person would pick up a pair of heads IN PERSON, Pay 1/2 the costs of an Upgraded Spring package, IN PERSON, but then accept a set of heads that was missing $500.00 in Parts & Labor???? Does this make one bit of sense???

Greg never got an invoice. When I returned home. I immediately went about taking care of Orders, Phones calls, & email that had been there for a week. 2 days up, 3 days at the show, 2 days back.To me the most important task is taking care of customers waiting a week. During the next week, my entire web site was lost due to a mistake my web host made while doing maintance on mthere equipment. So, I had no way top print an invoice for Greg. In fact I had no web site for over 3 weeks while I found another provider and hastily got my web builder to get a site back on line.

Greg did call, never emailed. And every single call ONLY asked for his invoice. I never returned his calls because I figured he would just have a hissy over a piece of paper I could not provide.

Remember, this was 6 YEARS AGO Why JUST now it is brought out in Public  Next NAMDRA he didn't say a word

Randy Guynn
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print