The AMC Forum - Help with a '71 Hornet SST 2-door in Tucson

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/28/14 at 14:21:59
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with a '71 Hornet SST 2-door in Tucson (Read 742 times)
Nomad
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Tucson, AZ
Help with a '71 Hornet SST 2-door in Tucson
06/16/10 at 17:19:49

Howdy folks. We're having to move soon and I can't just keep storing my car here until the time that I can afford to pay an expensive shop to fix it. It's sat here in Tucson for the past 4 years. This is what I posted in the introduction section:
Quote:

Unfortunately my car has been stored outside. And where I live, if you put a car cover on a car then you might as well just crush it, because packrats and other critters will destroy it. Before I parked it the things wrong with it were:
-Starter was acting funny, so I got under there and took it out, noticed the bolts were loose when I started but figured that since I was under there any way I'd take the starter to be tested (tested fine). Hurt myself at work that night and couldn't put the starter back in (and I had a daily driver anyway).
-Brakes were acting a little funny the last time I drove her, had to pump it a little, this only happened the last time I drove her though.
-Speedometer/odometer quit working about a week or so before I took her off the road.

While the car was sitting a packrat made a next under the hood. I looked really hard and didn't see any damaged/chewed on wires but it totally destroyed the insulation under the hood.

And the car has been sitting for four years.

I'm going to cross post this in the "help wanted" section. I'll be honest, if someone were to offer me something for the car and promise me that she wouldn't be crushed/scrapped I'd be ok with that. Cars have a personality and this car has always been good to me.

Right now money is tight, I'm unemployed and back in school full time. We're moving in with my lady's mom because she's got terminal cancer and we're going to help her out, but unfortunately she's extremely set in her ways and doesn't want an "abandoned car" in the driveway. I need to either get this car running enough to pass a smog test and get plates OR find a loving home that won't crush or part her out (and maybe let me know if they ever decide to sell).

Email vegasnomad2002 slrnomad   IP Logged
amcrules00
AMCrazy

'73 F1 Z-code

Deep in the heart of AMC
Re: Help with a '71 Hornet SST 2-door in Tucson
Reply #1 - 06/17/10 at 10:57:03

Did you have any luck getting it running yet, or find another home?

Email   IP Logged
Nomad
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Tucson, AZ
Re: Help with a '71 Hornet SST 2-door in Tucson
Reply #2 - 06/17/10 at 16:51:04

Quote from amcrules00 on 06/17/10 at 10:57:03:
Did you have any luck getting it running yet, or find another home?

No luck so far. Unfortunately I have health issues that keep me from crawling up under the car.

Email vegasnomad2002 slrnomad   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print