The AMC Forum - 343 AMX v 396 Chevelle

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/30/14 at 00:09:18
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
343 AMX v 396 Chevelle (Read 1559 times)
Vintageracer
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Scarborough, Ontario
343 AMX v 396 Chevelle
10/05/10 at 22:52:12

Back in 1972 on an Industrial area back street I lined up with my stock '68 343 4 spd AMX against a '67 396 4 spd Chevelle with hopped up motor, headers and WIDE rear tires. We 'hit it" together but he just lit up his tires and practically sat there while I hooked up and motored away! He soon was storming along but could not catch me by the finish. We both knew he "coulda" had me... but not this one time!!
David

On second thought..............

Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Re: 343 AMX v 396 Chevelle
Reply #1 - 10/06/10 at 00:48:53

i love these stories.....

i may be repeating myself (I forget yesterday) but I remember cruising along sheppard ave. east of yonge street here....I was transporting 4 newfies to a party (with luggage in the trunk)....with my first Machinein like 1980....it had been owned by a dude that threw money at it for the need for speed....

We got up against a 440 dart (well thats what the tag said on the fender, no idea) got power shifting......took him by a fender until going into 3rd......I had a chain welded to the frame rail to stop engine torque "windup", but I still tossed the clutch linkage......changed up to a clothes line tightener after that....but thought I did pretty good against a kool car with my car being run down, piled up with people and a poor college student....

geez, who'd have thought they'd be the good ol' dayz...

(I still have that entire driveline)

rr

Email rambling_rebel_70   IP Logged
2Cruisin
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Kenosha, WI
Reply #2 - 10/12/10 at 13:08:57

Your AMX verses the Chevelle story brought back the memory I have with a Buddies early 70's 304 3 speed Gremlin that we had installed a 4 Barrel manifold, with a 600 holley, dual exhaust, open air cleaner back in about 78-79.. We were out cruisin one night, I was driving and this custom green painted 69 396 Chevelle pulls up....it sounded pretty good, the usual BB rumble. I looked at my buddy and said well? He said go for it.
We then went after the Chevelle, from a rolling start at about 25 mph, we hit it, I pulled him all the way up to about half way threw 3rd gear...., We went at it again,,, with just about the same result....
While he pulled us at the end,,, we held our own, even freaked my buddy out...Afterwards we meet up with the chevelle guy's at the local Micky D's... The guy got pissed when we told him it was only a 304... Grin he said, that's got to be a AMC BB   Roll Eyes, I laughed and said Ah NO, it's the small block 304 Wink
Yeah the good ol days... Wink

"Ya can't fix stupid, But you can vote it out."
Email   IP Logged
rebel70blue
AMCrazy

Albany NY
Reply #3 - 10/19/10 at 23:35:36

Similar to one of mine:

A friend I worked with over the summer brought his worked 71 SS 396 Chevelle up against my H.S. buddies Jeep CJ7 Renegade.
Renegade had a stock 304 with freshly installed Headers and  B&M shifter.

Renegade pulled away through first at every light. Torque was scary. Had to keep your foot in through the corners or the deceleration would start lifting the body the opposite direction Smiley

http://www.upwiththemachine.com

68 290 770 Rebel
70 390 4spd MACHINE
95 Cherokee Sport
Email WWW   IP Logged
amc49
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Fort Worth, TX
Reply #4 - 07/31/12 at 06:32:51

I had a '70 Javelin 360 4 bbl. ATX, I used to consider 325 HP 396 Chevelles lunch, never found a one that didn't just sit still lighting up the tires. Once the ATX tore up and 4 speed, I jumped on the faster 375 HP ones as well.  

At an early point the Javelin was dead stock but had a 800 Holley DP, ran 14.80s like that. Everybody said the car would be overcarbed but it took that Holley like nobody's business. Later on had headers, Reed cam, R4B, T10, 4.44 gear, I figure 12.80-13.00 1/4 mi. based on cars I beat that did get to the track. Stock 10/1 shortblock............

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print