The AMC Forum - Exhaust Kit for Javelin

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/28/14 at 01:00:52
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exhaust Kit for Javelin (Read 6865 times)
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Exhaust Kit for Javelin
10/23/10 at 00:09:00

Just wondering if anybody knows of an off the shelf exhaust kit that will fit a 68-70 Javelin from the headers back.

Maybe something for another car that will fit on with minimal mods.

Looking for a twin 2 1/2" system with an X-pipe and mandrel bends. Car is running Hooker competition headers.

http://www.australianjavelins.com/
Email WWW   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: Exhaust Kit for Javelin
Reply #1 - 10/23/10 at 00:39:14

IIRC Only part that will fit and may need a little tweaking are the tailpipes from a 90”s Mustangs GT. After seeing what some of the guys have done with the shorty headers and made them 3” out and 3” all the way out it does not look too hard. A little pre bent pipe, hack saw & welder and go to town.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
73 Javelin
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Philadelphia, PA Suburbs
Reply #2 - 10/23/10 at 11:20:09

I used the Mustang tail pipes on my 73 Javelin and I used the x pipe designed for early Gm F body from Pypes here in the States.  
Had to do some cutting but it wasn't too difficult. I used a large tubing cutter to cut the pipes, it left a nice clean edge with out a lot of sharp burrs.  

http://pypesexhaust.com/

XVA10  XVA10S    2˝" X-pipe Kit   (W = 21")  
XVA13  XVA13S    3" X-pipe Kit   (W = 21") Diagram  
XVA14  N/A    3.5" X-pipe Kit - NOW IN STOCK  

Special X-pipe. Allows exhaust pipes to mount in the driveshaft tunnel for better clearance. Modification of body pan is required on convertibles but can be done!  

NOTE:   1967-69 F-body Convertible owners cars were originally equipped with a body pan reinforcement brace located directly under the transmission tailshaft. In order to utilize our X-pipe, it is necessary to either add RPE631FA spacers that lower the body pan to allow clearance for the X assembly OR remove the body pan and install subframe connectors.  

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration don't fail me now!
Email   IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #3 - 10/24/10 at 03:16:51

Sounds like it might be easier to just start with a bunch of bends and a couple of lengths of pipe.

Just thought someone might have started with a system from a Mustang, Camaro or something else.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Rebel Machine
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Quincy, IL
Reply #4 - 10/24/10 at 13:04:09

I tried the Mustang LX pipes on my old '70 AMX and it wasn't even close. Right now I'm in the middle of exhaust on my '69 AMX using '70 Chevelle tailpipes. The only thing usable is the tubing going over the rear axle. Everything else has to be pieced together. I got an 'X' pipe kit from Jegs that works pretty good. All I need now is two 'J' bends for the tubes going out under the rear bumper. I'll post pics of the finished pipe when it's done. You're Javelin tailpipes should be the same.

-Steve-

Practice recycling.... restore an AMC!
Email   IP Logged
steeters
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Sacramento, CA
Reply #5 - 10/24/10 at 15:18:08

Rebel Machine,

I used 5.0 muffler back pipes on my '70 Javelin too and the muffler shop had to do some modifications after the axle, so it wasn't exactly a bolt-in procedure (like I told the shop it would be, and I thought it would be).

However, my pipes were from Borla so they might be bent differently than some of the other mustang kits.  The kit I believe to be a bolt-in are the cheap LX ('83-93) 2.5" Summit brand muffler back kits.  Evidence is BBOAMX's early AMX which has an incredibly clean installation that bolted up with no issues.  He posted pictures and part numbers in an earlier thread.

Steve

Steve Teeters 1970 Javelin 390 SST Hialeah Yellow Ram Air with Machine wheels. 401/TC727. Going into the college body shop for a new paint job and some body work.
Email   IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #6 - 10/24/10 at 22:51:01

That looks pretty good Rebel Machine.

Email WWW   IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #7 - 10/25/10 at 16:01:07

Got my exhaust kit today:

Well ok, it's not exactly a kit, but it seems like it was going to cost about $500 for shipping from the likes of summit or jegs on top or whatever any kit was worth plus it would take about 2 weeks to get here.

After a bit of research I managed to find the place that supplies exhaust components to most of the exhaust shops in town and I was pleasantly supprised to find out they were happy to do private sales.

Anyway, just grabbed enough stuff to get back as far as the diff for now. Since I haven't fabricated an exhaust system before I wanted to hedge my bets in case it all went pear shaped and I had to have it finished off by a profesional.

Made a bit of progress already today:

Smiley

Email WWW   IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #8 - 10/27/10 at 13:15:40

Any suggestions on how much overlap the x-pipe should have?

Email WWW   IP Logged
Rebel Machine
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Quincy, IL
Reply #9 - 10/28/10 at 01:33:24

Looks like a good start!

When you say "overlap" do you mean you're making your own 'X' pipe? I bought mine from Jegs.

I don't know if placement of the 'X' pipe is critical or not. I just fit it in where it wouldn't interfere with anything.

-Steve-

Practice recycling.... restore an AMC!
Email   IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #10 - 10/28/10 at 03:38:56

Yes, will just be fabricating my own X-pipe, cut the outside of a couple of bends off and weld them together. Just thought there might be some rule of thumb as to how big the hole should be or maybe something to do with the combined cross sectional area. Hopefully not too critical.

You can probably see from the work so far that the X-pipe will be just under the front uni joint.

Email WWW   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #11 - 10/28/10 at 03:44:07

Quote from Rebel Machine on 10/28/10 at 01:33:24:
Looks like a good start!

When you say "overlap" do you mean you're making your own 'X' pipe? I bought mine from Jegs.

I don't know if placement of the 'X' pipe is critical or not. I just fit it in where it wouldn't interfere with anything.

-Steve-
I believe I saw some where there is a “placement” in the system where the X should go just like how long header extensions should be. I just done remember where it goes. This also goes for the “H” in H Pipes, that connects the 2 pipes.

But I want to say he is asking how big the opening between the 2 pipes should be? Do the “over lap and only have little more than 1” opening or more like 4” is this right?
Thinking goggle might be your answer to both questions above.
Dave ----

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=x%20pipe%20vs%20h%20pipe& aq=1s&aqi=g-sx1g-s1g-sx2g-o1&aql=&oq=xpip&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=cac716aade6fa416&pf=p

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #12 - 10/28/10 at 08:23:22

For placement, most stuff comming up on google suggests closer to the headers is better, but there are also reccomendations for closer to the back, in the middle or at the hottest point. I think the reality is that with a live rear axle setup like our cars, just behind the transmission is the only practical place to put one.

There also seems to be a few variations on the x-pipe design, this one is particularly sexy:

Cool

Email WWW   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #13 - 10/28/10 at 12:50:44

WOW  Shocked Shocked Shocked

very nice.....

rr

Email rambling_rebel_70   IP Logged