The AMC Forum - Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
09/02/14 at 09:12:04
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX (Read 12295 times)
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX
Reply #15 - 12/07/10 at 04:28:12

Quote from AMX401 on 12/06/10 at 02:22:20:
Quote from firecapt321 on 12/06/10 at 00:24:32:
I just can't get past the price of the OD kits....

That was my first thought as well so I had decided the TKO500 would be the way to go...once I priced out the tranny, bellhousing, shifter, clutch assembly, etc the price was around the $3k range...the other negative is ripping half my tunnel off, especially seeing as how I had done the body last year and would have to rip all that sound matting out, etc.

I like the fact my shifter is in the stock location so I can keep my ultra cool factory 4spd console!

Any one can have a 5 or 6 speed but how many can say they have an 8 speed in thier car Wink
I just did not like the first gear in the T10 so would need to change the R & P too to help get the car moving.
Yes keep us posted
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
A-Sedan
Forum Junkie

No! It is not a
Camaro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lincoln NE
Reply #16 - 12/11/10 at 13:07:04

[/quote] Any one can have a 5 or 6 speed but how many can say they have an 8 speed in thier car Wink
I just did not like the first gear in the T10 so would need to change the R & P too to help get the car moving.
Yes keep us posted
Dave ---- [/quote]
 I can, we used to take the overdrive off of Saginaw 3 speeds and bolt it up to Saginaw 4 speeds. It was truely a bolt on deal and worked great. In reality it was a 7 speed cause IIRC 3d od was very close to 4th no od. I know ppl think Saginaws are weak and they are but I have a friend that set national records with his SS nova with a Saginaw 4 speed. Was in the 10s with a 220 hp 283. We put these "8" speeds behind all kinds of stuff from 283s to 396s and never broke one. Probably because of lack of traction back in the day. For a daily driver in made a great combo. GL

Email A-Sedan   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reply #17 - 12/12/10 at 19:29:44

Any chance of an overall length for the T10 with all the goodies installed?  :D [/quote]

Ahhhh...snow!  Sledding season is in the air, but I digress!  Ken, from the engine side of the bellhousing to the end of the GV unit works out to 46".  At the 33" to 43" mark, the unit is at its widest...approximately 6 1/2" diameter.  I think a guy could test fit it with a coffee can.

74 Javelin AMX, 401 8 Speed
Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #18 - 12/14/10 at 18:16:03

Thanks for the measurement!  Smiley
Might have to wait till spring to check dimentions on the car. Hey, maybe I can save money  Roll Eyes by only needing ONE U-joint, to connect the O.D. directly to the diff?  Grin

1970 Wild Plum Metallic Gremlin. 401/T-10, CalTrac's, 3:54 Amc-20 Rear End, Moser's.
Best E.T. 12,something sec. :-P Alias... "The Purple Helmet" in
Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #19 - 12/29/10 at 06:26:47

Been a bit distracted lately as we bought another snowmobile and I've been modding it a wee bit but did a few odds and ends on the install:

Here is the 90 degree speedometer adapter, had to give the seat cross member a few whacks with a hammer as it was butting up against it but it clears nicely now.  I'll update the under car pics when I install the driveshaft:

Wired in the controller and installed the shifter...fits perfect!  You can just see the controller is attached to the steering column but is only visible as I was in the back seat when I took the pic:

I removed the ashtray and installed a plate for the lights...red means the unit is on, green means overdrive is engaged:

Should have my drive shaft next week, will check angles and make changes if required, then not much I can do until spring as the exhaust needs to be modified as the OD is in the way.

Email   IP Logged
SC397
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Blissfield, MI
Reply #20 - 12/31/10 at 21:16:48

Man, I just wished that Gearvendors had a 30% overdrive unit in stead of the 22%.
Nice job though!

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #21 - 01/12/11 at 01:15:13

Still taking my time and slowly progressing...my driveshaft had to be shortened to 36 1/8" and got it back on Friday:

Here are a few pics of it installed:

Next step was to check drive line angles...the front wheels are sitting on ramps and the rear axle is on jack stands, I got the following results:

Engine/Transmission: 4 degrees down toward the rear (or 4 degrees up toward the front)
Pinion: 2 degrees up toward the front (or 2 degrees down toward the rear)
Driveshaft: 0 degrees

Could be an issue as the front angle equals 4 degrees and rear is 2 degrees.  I may swap my 2 degree shim with a 4 degree one so both ends are at 4 degrees and cancel each other out...or I may leave it as is for now and see if there is any vibration when I drive it in spring.  All that's left to do is have my exhaust moved over so it isn't hitting the GV unit.  

Hmmm, gonna be bored waiting for spring, think I'll have my seats recovered in a simulated leather, the factory ones were white so perhaps I'll go with white or off white.

Email   IP Logged
purpleheart
Forum Veteran

10.9's are getting
closer

Orangeville, ONT
Reply #22 - 01/12/11 at 04:07:13

If I'm understanding your measurements on your pinion angle correctly , your pinion angle is 2 deg positive right now and it should be 2 deg negative . The angle of your driveshaft to your tranny is also gonna be a problem . The driveshaft should have a downward angle to the rearend from the tranny . When you launch your car you'll get even more positive pinion angle at the rearend and more of the wrong angle at the front u-joint . For a visual of what I'm trying to tell you , use 3 pencils as  tranny, driveshaft and rearend . Move the rearend pencil up at the rear u-joint as is you were launching your car . You'll notice that the pencils won't try to straighten out , the angle  will get worse and possibly break parts . I hope I explained it clear enough .

Paul

Best time 11.09 @ 119.32 mph 1.51 60ft on M/T 28/11.5-15 slicks

Best ET 11.09 , Best mph 119.32 , Best 60ft 1.49
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #23 - 01/12/11 at 04:59:55

Hey Paul.  The way I understand it...first off you want your tranny and pinion to be parrallel to each other: ie: tranny and pinion both at 4 degrees toward the front.  Next you subtract your driveshaft angle and ideally want that number to be between 1 and 3.5 degrees.  The key is to have them within 1/2 a degree of each other to cancel out the harmonics.

The exception as you described is for race cars where your elusive videos almost show the front wheels grabbing air but clearly show the rear end dropping and causing the pinion to move up a fair amount.

These articles explains it in more detail:

http://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getFile.asp?RID=10&TID=28&FN=PDF

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_Proc_111606.pd f

Email   IP Logged
Rumblrr
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Harleysville, PA
Reply #24 - 01/12/11 at 19:59:53

Hi this looks like a really cool setup are they still available and what did you pay for this setup? i am a stick shift guy all the way and this setup look really strong.

Email Rumblrr Rumblrr   IP Logged
purpleheart
Forum Veteran

10.9's are getting
closer

Orangeville, ONT
Reply #25 - 01/12/11 at 23:15:23

If your tranny is down 4 deg , driveshaft at 0 deg and rearend up 2 deg you'll have 2 deg positive pinion angle . Look at Fig 2 on this link http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/irsvibes.html yours is the opposite . Here's a pic of a 4x4 driveshaft http://www.4x4now.com/gt0899.htm . If the rearend climbs upward on the launch it will straighten out the angle between the rearend and driveshaft in this pic . If your rearend to driveshaft angle is opposite to this pic , your 2 deg positive angle will change to about 4 deg positive when you launch .  

Paul

Best time 11.09 @ 119.32 mph 1.51 60ft on M/T 28/11.5-15 slicks

Best ET 11.09 , Best mph 119.32 , Best 60ft 1.49
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #26 - 01/12/11 at 23:56:34

Quote from Rumblrr on 01/12/11 at 19:59:53:
Hi this looks like a really cool setup are they still available and what did you pay for this setup? i am a stick shift guy all the way and this setup look really strong.

Hi.  Yes, it's still available and it cost around $3k.  You can contact Jeff or Mike at  www.gearvendors.com

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #27 - 01/13/11 at 00:02:37

Quote from purpleheart on 01/12/11 at 23:15:23:
If your tranny is down 4 deg , driveshaft at 0 deg and rearend up 2 deg you'll have 2 deg positive pinion angle . Look at Fig 2 on this link http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/irsvibes.html yours is the opposite . Here's a pic of a 4x4 driveshaft http://www.4x4now.com/gt0899.htm . If the rearend climbs upward on the launch it will straighten out the angle between the rearend and driveshaft in this pic . If your rearend to driveshaft angle is opposite to this pic , your 2 deg positive angle will change to about 4 deg positive when you launch .

Paul

Hey Paul.  I'll check that link tonite...remember, I don't launch, I cruise!  I live 60km from the city, 90% of my driving is highway cruising which is what I want to set it up for.  When cruising at 70mph the pinion should be pretty much in the same position as when at rest.

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #28 - 01/13/11 at 03:34:46

I have to ask what are the blue & black (wire?) things run in the tunnel?

Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #29 - 01/13/11 at 05:22:45

Quote from FuzzFace2 on 01/13/11 at 03:34:46:
I have to ask what are the blue & black (wire?) things run in the tunnel?
Dave ----

The black one is my brake line and the blue one is power for my amp in the trunk.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print