The AMC Forum - Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/30/14 at 20:14:45
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX (Read 12263 times)
AMX401
AMCrazy

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX
Reply #30 - 01/13/11 at 05:54:09

Quote from purpleheart on 01/12/11 at 23:15:23:
If your tranny is down 4 deg , driveshaft at 0 deg and rearend up 2 deg you'll have 2 deg positive pinion angle . Look at Fig 2 on this link http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/irsvibes.html yours is the opposite . Here's a pic of a 4x4 driveshaft http://www.4x4now.com/gt0899.htm . If the rearend climbs upward on the launch it will straighten out the angle between the rearend and driveshaft in this pic . If your rearend to driveshaft angle is opposite to this pic , your 2 deg positive angle will change to about 4 deg positive when you launch .

Paul

Hey Paul.  Figure 2 on the your link shows the tranny pointing up towards the rear and the pinion points down toward the front at an equal angle to make them parrallel.  According to page 3 of this article http://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getFile.asp?RID=10&TID=28&FN=PDF   almost all factory vehicles have the tranny pointing approximately 3degrees down toward the rear and the pinion pointing at an equal angle up toward the front...except for race cars which require the pinion to point down toward the front.

My scenario is more like figure 5 on page 4 with the exception my tranny is at 4, pinion at 2, driveshat at 0.  If my tranny angle dropped to 2 and assuming my driveshaft stayed at 0, then both angles would be equal and cancel out any harmonic vibration tendencies.

I May shim my tranny up a degree but it is already 3/16" higher than original, unfortunately I only measured the tranny height and did not use an angle finder to see how the original set up was.

74 Javelin AMX, 401 8 Speed
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #31 - 02/04/11 at 02:50:48

Just curious what other folks are using for gear lube in their T-10?  Royal purple looks interesting and wondering if anyone has any feedback on it?

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #32 - 02/04/11 at 13:57:41

Think the TSM said W90 or W80 no? Think there was 90 in mine when I pulled it to install the T5. Then again I never drove the car so I never checked what it had.  
If you are going with RP in the trany what you using in the rear?
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #33 - 02/04/11 at 23:03:42

I think the TSM asks for 80W.  For the rear end I put Lakewood BFL 80-90 limited slip gear lube...

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #34 - 02/06/11 at 16:18:20

From what I have seen most of the lube for 80/90  you get in the stores can be used in both tranys and rears with LS. The Lakewood oil can you use it in the trany too? You want to use RP in the T10, think ATF in the GV unit & LW in the rear. For me I like to keep to 1 type oil if I can, less confusion then again don’t take much to confuse me Wink
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #35 - 06/02/11 at 20:18:35

Finally got to test out the Gear Vendors today and holy crap...I hit the switch and it's like getting kicked in the seat of the pants by an elephant!  Unfortunately I forgot my rev limiter is set for 4500rpm so I couldn't give it a good workout.  The 2:64 first gear T-10 is great and I really like the placement of the gears compared to the 2:23 tranny.  Need to play with it a bit more but so far so good except for a bit of a vibration at 60mph and up which I assume means my calcs were off on the diff angle.
Here are a few pics:

Email   IP Logged
FrogLeg
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Killeen, TX
Reply #36 - 06/12/11 at 04:32:24

OMG that is SEXY!!  
 You may still have a pinion angle issue, but if you had your shaft cut.. you might just have a driveshaft that wasn't balanced properly. Had that happen a few times, second guessing the angles, and looked at the shaft to see I had lost a bare spot where the weight used to be. Just something to think about.

Quote from AMX401 on 06/02/11 at 20:18:35:
Finally got to test out the Gear Vendors today and holy crap...I hit the switch and it's like getting kicked in the seat of the pants by an elephant!  Unfortunately I forgot my rev limiter is set for 4500rpm so I couldn't give it a good workout.  The 2:64 first gear T-10 is great and I really like the placement of the gears compared to the 2:23 tranny.  Need to play with it a bit more but so far so good except for a bit of a vibration at 60mph and up which I assume means my calcs were off on the diff angle.
Here are a few pics:
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/javelinamx/Overdrive%20Conversion/IMG_28 67.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/javelinamx/Overdrive%20Conversion/IMG_28 66.jpg

9's and drive it to work on Fridays.
Sold the altered Dragster to buy the parts and pieces of a tall deck 632 trying to hit the 8sec mark on pump gas without the nitrous.
Email WWW   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #37 - 06/14/11 at 15:13:57

You hit the nail on the head...turned out the place that shortened my driveshaft didn't have a balancer...even though I specifically asked them if they balance it as well.  Had it rebalanced and it's much better.  Went for about a 150 mile drive yesterday and with the overdrive my RPM is in the 2200-2500 range on the highway but my exhaust is so loud at that range I think my head is going to explode...gotta talk to the muffler shop and see if they can tone it down.

Email   IP Logged
scramboy
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brewster, NY
Reply #38 - 06/21/11 at 13:29:01

What is that machined aluminum block between the two adaptors that requires the mods to the tyranny x member. I don't recall seeing that in the catalog or the other AMX install article in a now defunct AMC club news letter. I want to install a GV setup on my 70 AMX and thought it only needed the drivedshaft shortened. Thanx in advance for your response and your car is real cool. Scramboy.

Email   IP Logged
FrogLeg
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Killeen, TX
Reply #39 - 06/26/11 at 03:43:02

Quote from AMX401 on 06/14/11 at 15:13:57:
You hit the nail on the head...turned out the place that shortened my driveshaft didn't have a balancer...even though I specifically asked them if they balance it as well.  Had it rebalanced and it's much better.  Went for about a 150 mile drive yesterday and with the overdrive my RPM is in the 2200-2500 range on the highway but my exhaust is so loud at that range I think my head is going to explode...gotta talk to the muffler shop and see if they can tone it down.

Can I suggest you invest about $200 in Fat MAT sound deadner?... Worked wonders in my backhalfed car.. was noisy as all getout as just behind the drivers seat its all aluminum sheetmetal... Now it is enjoyable.

9's and drive it to work on Fridays.
Sold the altered Dragster to buy the parts and pieces of a tall deck 632 trying to hit the 8sec mark on pump gas without the nitrous.
Email WWW   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #40 - 06/27/11 at 18:44:26

Quote from scramboy on 06/21/11 at 13:29:01:
What is that machined aluminum block between the two adaptors that requires the mods to the tyranny x member. I don't recall seeing that in the catalog or the other AMX install article in a now defunct AMC club news letter. I want to install a GV setup on my 70 AMX and thought it only needed the drivedshaft shortened. Thanx in advance for your response and your car is real cool. Scramboy.

I'm not sure which block you are referring to...the kit comes in 3 pieces, the tail piece that replaces the tranny tail, an adapter which is sized to the length of the tail shaft, and the overdrive.

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #41 - 06/27/11 at 18:47:44

Quote from FrogLeg on 06/26/11 at 03:43:02:
Quote from AMX401 on 06/14/11 at 15:13:57:

Can I suggest you invest about $200 in Fat MAT sound deadner?... Worked wonders in my backhalfed car.. was noisy as all getout as just behind the drivers seat its all aluminum sheetmetal... Now it is enjoyable.

I do have fairly thick sound deadener which goes all the way back to the trunk divider...I ordered a couple of resonators and am changing my tips from pointing down to straight out.  We're planning a few trips this summer which will be 3-4 hours of driving and I want it as quiet as possible.

Email   IP Logged
scramboy
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brewster, NY
Reply #42 - 06/28/11 at 01:44:19

It is the billet piece that required you to modify the tranny x-member. I called GV and they explained all production kits for the AMC come that way cause of the shifter location. i was under the impression that it was a total bolt on except for driveshaft shortening. I guess not, the mad is nothing I cant handle but GV charges $850 for an install on a 4 sp. tranny. Your car has been an influence for my choice to go GV. Thanx and  good luck. Scramboy.

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #43 - 06/28/11 at 04:29:26

Quote from scramboy on 06/28/11 at 01:44:19:
It is the billet piece that required you to modify the tranny x-member. I called GV and they explained all production kits for the AMC come that way cause of the shifter location. i was under the impression that it was a total bolt on except for driveshaft shortening. I guess not, the mad is nothing I cant handle but GV charges $850 for an install on a 4 sp. tranny. Your car has been an influence for my choice to go GV. Thanx and  good luck. Scramboy.

Right, forgot about that other block, I believe it is required for the T10 tail shaft to mate up to the GV unit, otherwise it would be too long.  I'm not sure of this, but I believe GV took the standard Ford T10 kit and modified it for AMC...I think the price was around $2800 plus freight.  My driveshaft was an extra $200 to get it shortened.  Make sure they send the angled speedometer adapter and the shifter with a switch.

Went for a good spin tonight now that my exhaust is quiet as a 20 foot mouse and still have a slight vibration (more of an annoyance)...may be best to take it to a shop that can check the driveshaft, rear end, rotors, tires, etc.

Email   IP Logged
marty
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Plano, TX
Reply #44 - 06/14/12 at 01:04:14

Paul,
  I'm installing a GV on my 74 Javelin AMX (401, auto) and had a question on the power source you used.  It says to use a source that is off during ignition but on during run.  What did you use as the source.  Thanks.
Marty

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print