The AMC Forum - Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/24/14 at 01:35:18
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX (Read 11949 times)
AMX401
AMCrazy

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX
11/16/10 at 21:50:22

There have been so many topics on 5 speed conversions I thought I'd begin a thread on installing a GV unit in my 74 AMX.  For those who aren't familiar with GV, it is an over drive gear that can be engaged in any gear...essentially turning my 4spd into an 8spd.

My driveline consists of a mild 401, 2.64 T-10, and 3.54 rear end...the GV unit has a .78 ratio when engaged.

For starters I swapped out my pilot bushing for a roller bearing and went to the beefier late 60's bearing retainer and TO bearing.  

Here's a pic of the roller bearing (Sorry for the poor pics but my camera battery won't keep a charge and my wife would have a new set of door knockers if I used our good one):

Next I installed my reverse idler shaft and lever in the GV Tailshaft:

The GV supplied Thrust washer is a torrington style:

Tailshaft installed:

Top view of GV overdrive, I ground a wee bit off the ribs on both sides which gave me about 1/2" clearance from the seat crossmember:

The factory tranny crossmember needed to be cut down an inch for clearance, GV supplies a Turbo 400 tranny mount:

I felt the crossmember was a bit weak as it would bend slightly if I smacked it so welded in a couple of braces for strength:

Side view of overdrive, the speedometer cable comes right out at the lower corner of the seat crossmember and GV is sending a 90 degree which hopefully will fit...if not, then I'll have to cut about 1/2" off the corner of the crossmember:

The next pic is one GV had sent me of a Javelin installation (my camera battery died) and it shows how the adapter allows the shifter to stay in the factory position...love the fact I can keep my factory console!

Here is the unit installed, I will have to have my exhaust changed as it hits the overdrive portion:

Another view:

And straight on...you can see where the speedo housing is close to the crossmember, though it looks worse from this angle:

Once I get the 90 degree speedometer I can finish it up....need to have my driveshaft shortened roughly 13" (GV supplies a spicer yoke which will have to be mated up) then I will ensure my angles are good...the engine/tranny is raised up approximately 1/8" over the stock set up where the bell meets the tranny.  When it's up on the hoist getting the exhaust done I'll try and get more pics.
So far the modifications are minimal...the last thing I wanted to do was tunnel mods, etc.  

74 Javelin AMX, 401 8 Speed
Email   IP Logged
chickenman
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Feversham, ONT
Re: Installing Gear Vendors Over Drive in 74 AMX
Reply #1 - 11/17/10 at 00:50:39

Thats looks great Jeff. Keep us up to date on your project. I was looking into doing this a few years ago but I didn't recall anybody making one then for a borg warner 4 sp.  . Let me know how you like it. Garry

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #2 - 11/17/10 at 02:44:32

Quote from chickenman on 11/17/10 at 00:50:39:
Thats looks great Jeff. Keep us up to date on your project. I was looking into doing this a few years ago but I didn't recall anybody making one then for a borg warner 4 sp.  . Let me know how you like it. Garry

Thanks Garry.  Interestingly enough the first time I called Gear Vendors a year ago they said they thought the Ford kit may work and I could try it and send it back if it didn't...I wasn't interested in paying the freight etc both ways so dropped the idea.  Can't recall which forum it was, but someone posted an offhand comment about having the GV in a humpster this spring or summer...I PM'd him and he said GV did the install...talked to Jeff at GV and he said they've done a few over the years, guess I spoke to the wrong person the first time.

Email   IP Logged
Airdrie AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Airdrie Alberta, Canada
Reply #3 - 11/17/10 at 03:20:23

Very nice!!! I have thought about this for a while also, I like the fact you can keep the console. I also look forward to hearing how you like it... although with this fresh dump of white stuff that may not be for a while.

Ivan

Ivan C
72 amx 401 4speed (undergoing restoration)
74 base model javelin 401 4speed (original)
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #4 - 11/17/10 at 06:14:08

Quote from Airdrie AMX on 11/17/10 at 03:20:23:
Very nice!!! I have thought about this for a while also, I like the fact you can keep the console. I also look forward to hearing how you like it... although with this fresh dump of white stuff that may not be for a while.

Ivan

Ya, can't wait either but the roads will have to be perfect....can't see me driving like I'm in the church parking lot.  Unfortunately I'll be in that wonderful paradise called Ft. McMurray all next week and probably won't get back at it until the beginning of December.

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #5 - 11/17/10 at 15:43:49

Here's an interesting article in the GV literature they sent me...looks like I'm not veering too far from AMC with this mod:

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #6 - 12/04/10 at 04:28:37

Wow!  Shocked
That might be good for me too! Thanks for posting this.  Wink
I have a similar setup to you. T10, 3:54, etc. Was the whole kit around $3,000?

1970 Wild Plum Metallic Gremlin. 401/T-10, CalTrac's, 3:54 Amc-20 Rear End, Moser's.
Best E.T. 12,something sec. :-P Alias... "The Purple Helmet" in
Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #7 - 12/04/10 at 16:03:01

Ken you also need to ask how much longer does it make the T10 as it may not work in the short wheel base Gremlin.  At 1 point I did look into the GV setup too but not having a bolt in kit back then and too high of a first gear raito in the T10 I went with the T5, hope it was the right choice undecided
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #8 - 12/04/10 at 21:00:09

Quote from FuzzFace2 on 12/04/10 at 16:03:01:
Ken you also need to ask how much longer does it make the T10 as it may not work in the short wheel base Gremlin.  At 1 point I did look into the GV setup too but not having a bolt in kit back then and too high of a first gear raito in the T10 I went with the T5, hope it was the right choice undecided
Dave ----

What's wrong with a six inch driveshaft?  Grin
Any chance of an overall length for the T10 with all the goodies installed?  Cheesy

1970 Wild Plum Metallic Gremlin. 401/T-10, CalTrac's, 3:54 Amc-20 Rear End, Moser's.
Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #9 - 12/05/10 at 22:13:04

Quote from ken on 12/04/10 at 21:00:09:
Quote from FuzzFace2 on 12/04/10 at 16:03:01:
Dave ----

What's wrong with a six inch driveshaft?  Grin
Any chance of an overall length for the T10 with all the goodies installed?  Cheesy

Hey Ken.  Yes, the kit worked out to about $3,000 Cdn plus UPS charged their typical extortion which added another $240.  My evil wife has banned me from the shop and forced me to renovate the bathroom the last few weeks...I'm in heavenly Ft.  McMurray this week but hoping to get back at the Jav in a couple of weeks and I'll take some measurements, though off the top of my head it adds about 13" to the t-10.

I rec'd the 90degree speedometer adapter but it looks like I will have to cut or hammer a notch in the seat cross member, then get the driveshaft shortened and my exhaust modified.  Gonna take my time, we're in the boring portion of winter, not enough snow for sledding, muscle cars are in hibernation, beer freezes if guzzled too slowly...

Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #10 - 12/06/10 at 00:07:20

YOU have an evil wife TOO....sooo do I....I am just glad she hasn't figured out how to get to this weebsite

but seriously, theres more than just ken interested in this so keep posting....

rr

ps as for beer freezing if not guzzled....try switching to scotch  Cheesy Grin

Email rambling_rebel_70   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #11 - 12/06/10 at 00:24:32

I just can't get past the price of the OD kits....

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #12 - 12/06/10 at 01:10:39

it's ok JP.....it's in Canadian tire dollars........and besides....its old skule......you wouldn't understand

rr

Email rambling_rebel_70   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #13 - 12/06/10 at 02:22:20

Quote from firecapt321 on 12/06/10 at 00:24:32:

That was my first thought as well so I had decided the TKO500 would be the way to go...once I priced out the tranny, bellhousing, shifter, clutch assembly, etc the price was around the $3k range...the other negative is ripping half my tunnel off, especially seeing as how I had done the body last year and would have to rip all that sound matting out, etc.

I like the fact my shifter is in the stock location so I can keep my ultra cool factory 4spd console!

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #14 - 12/06/10 at 02:30:32

Quote from rambling_rebel on 12/06/10 at 00:07:20:
YOU have an evil wife TOO....sooo do I....I am just glad she hasn't figured out how to get to this weebsite

but seriously, theres more than just ken interested in this so keep posting....

rr

ps as for beer freezing if not guzzled....try switching to scotch  Cheesy Grin

I can't switch to scotch...evil wife drinks scotch, drink beer cause wife won't drink it and I don't have to worry about losing track of my inventory.

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #15 - 12/07/10 at 04:28:12

Quote from AMX401 on 12/06/10 at 02:22:20:
Quote from firecapt321 on 12/06/10 at 00:24:32:

That was my first thought as well so I had decided the TKO500 would be the way to go...once I priced out the tranny, bellhousing, shifter, clutch assembly, etc the price was around the $3k range...the other negative is ripping half my tunnel off, especially seeing as how I had done the body last year and would have to rip all that sound matting out, etc.

I like the fact my shifter is in the stock location so I can keep my ultra cool factory 4spd console!

Any one can have a 5 or 6 speed but how many can say they have an 8 speed in thier car Wink
I just did not like the first gear in the T10 so would need to change the R & P too to help get the car moving.
Yes keep us posted
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
A-Sedan
Forum Junkie

No! It is not a
Camaro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lincoln NE
Reply #16 - 12/11/10 at 13:07:04

[/quote] Any one can have a 5 or 6 speed but how many can say they have an 8 speed in thier car Wink
I just did not like the first gear in the T10 so would need to change the R & P too to help get the car moving.
Yes keep us posted
Dave ---- [/quote]
 I can, we used to take the overdrive off of Saginaw 3 speeds and bolt it up to Saginaw 4 speeds. It was truely a bolt on deal and worked great. In reality it was a 7 speed cause IIRC 3d od was very close to 4th no od. I know ppl think Saginaws are weak and they are but I have a friend that set national records with his SS nova with a Saginaw 4 speed. Was in the 10s with a 220 hp 283. We put these "8" speeds behind all kinds of stuff from 283s to 396s and never broke one. Probably because of lack of traction back in the day. For a daily driver in made a great combo. GL

Email A-Sedan   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #17 - 12/12/10 at 19:29:44

Any chance of an overall length for the T10 with all the goodies installed?  :D [/quote]

Ahhhh...snow!  Sledding season is in the air, but I digress!  Ken, from the engine side of the bellhousing to the end of the GV unit works out to 46".  At the 33" to 43" mark, the unit is at its widest...approximately 6 1/2" diameter.  I think a guy could test fit it with a coffee can.

Email   IP Logged
ken
Forum Veteran

The Smurf-n-ator

Alton, ONT
Reply #18 - 12/14/10 at 18:16:03

Thanks for the measurement!  Smiley
Might have to wait till spring to check dimentions on the car. Hey, maybe I can save money  Roll Eyes by only needing ONE U-joint, to connect the O.D. directly to the diff?  Grin

Alton, Ontario, Canada
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #19 - 12/29/10 at 06:26:47

Been a bit distracted lately as we bought another snowmobile and I've been modding it a wee bit but did a few odds and ends on the install:

Here is the 90 degree speedometer adapter, had to give the seat cross member a few whacks with a hammer as it was butting up against it but it clears nicely now.  I'll update the under car pics when I install the driveshaft:

Wired in the controller and installed the shifter...fits perfect!  You can just see the controller is attached to the steering column but is only visible as I was in the back seat when I took the pic:

I removed the ashtray and installed a plate for the lights...red means the unit is on, green means overdrive is engaged:

Should have my drive shaft next week, will check angles and make changes if required, then not much I can do until spring as the exhaust needs to be modified as the OD is in the way.

Email   IP Logged
SC397
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Blissfield, MI
Reply #20 - 12/31/10 at 21:16:48

Man, I just wished that Gearvendors had a 30% overdrive unit in stead of the 22%.
Nice job though!

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #21 - 01/12/11 at 01:15:13

Still taking my time and slowly progressing...my driveshaft had to be shortened to 36 1/8" and got it back on Friday:

Here are a few pics of it installed:

Next step was to check drive line angles...the front wheels are sitting on ramps and the rear axle is on jack stands, I got the following results:

Engine/Transmission: 4 degrees down toward the rear (or 4 degrees up toward the front)
Pinion: 2 degrees up toward the front (or 2 degrees down toward the rear)
Driveshaft: 0 degrees

Could be an issue as the front angle equals 4 degrees and rear is 2 degrees.  I may swap my 2 degree shim with a 4 degree one so both ends are at 4 degrees and cancel each other out...or I may leave it as is for now and see if there is any vibration when I drive it in spring.  All that's left to do is have my exhaust moved over so it isn't hitting the GV unit.  

Hmmm, gonna be bored waiting for spring, think I'll have my seats recovered in a simulated leather, the factory ones were white so perhaps I'll go with white or off white.

Email   IP Logged
purpleheart
Forum Veteran

10.9's are getting
closer

Orangeville, ONT
Reply #22 - 01/12/11 at 04:07:13

If I'm understanding your measurements on your pinion angle correctly , your pinion angle is 2 deg positive right now and it should be 2 deg negative . The angle of your driveshaft to your tranny is also gonna be a problem . The driveshaft should have a downward angle to the rearend from the tranny . When you launch your car you'll get even more positive pinion angle at the rearend and more of the wrong angle at the front u-joint . For a visual of what I'm trying to tell you , use 3 pencils as  tranny, driveshaft and rearend . Move the rearend pencil up at the rear u-joint as is you were launching your car . You'll notice that the pencils won't try to straighten out , the angle  will get worse and possibly break parts . I hope I explained it clear enough .

Paul

Best time 11.09 @ 119.32 mph 1.51 60ft on M/T 28/11.5-15 slicks

Best ET 11.09 , Best mph 119.32 , Best 60ft 1.49
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #23 - 01/12/11 at 04:59:55

Hey Paul.  The way I understand it...first off you want your tranny and pinion to be parrallel to each other: ie: tranny and pinion both at 4 degrees toward the front.  Next you subtract your driveshaft angle and ideally want that number to be between 1 and 3.5 degrees.  The key is to have them within 1/2 a degree of each other to cancel out the harmonics.

The exception as you described is for race cars where your elusive videos almost show the front wheels grabbing air but clearly show the rear end dropping and causing the pinion to move up a fair amount.

These articles explains it in more detail:

http://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getFile.asp?RID=10&TID=28&FN=PDF

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_Proc_111606.pd f

Email   IP Logged
Rumblrr
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Harleysville, PA
Reply #24 - 01/12/11 at 19:59:53

Hi this looks like a really cool setup are they still available and what did you pay for this setup? i am a stick shift guy all the way and this setup look really strong.

Email Rumblrr Rumblrr   IP Logged
purpleheart
Forum Veteran

10.9's are getting
closer

Orangeville, ONT
Reply #25 - 01/12/11 at 23:15:23

If your tranny is down 4 deg , driveshaft at 0 deg and rearend up 2 deg you'll have 2 deg positive pinion angle . Look at Fig 2 on this link http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/irsvibes.html yours is the opposite . Here's a pic of a 4x4 driveshaft http://www.4x4now.com/gt0899.htm . If the rearend climbs upward on the launch it will straighten out the angle between the rearend and driveshaft in this pic . If your rearend to driveshaft angle is opposite to this pic , your 2 deg positive angle will change to about 4 deg positive when you launch .  

Paul

Best time 11.09 @ 119.32 mph 1.51 60ft on M/T 28/11.5-15 slicks

Best ET 11.09 , Best mph 119.32 , Best 60ft 1.49
Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #26 - 01/12/11 at 23:56:34

Quote from Rumblrr on 01/12/11 at 19:59:53:
Hi this looks like a really cool setup are they still available and what did you pay for this setup? i am a stick shift guy all the way and this setup look really strong.

Hi.  Yes, it's still available and it cost around $3k.  You can contact Jeff or Mike at  www.gearvendors.com

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #27 - 01/13/11 at 00:02:37

Quote from purpleheart on 01/12/11 at 23:15:23:
If your tranny is down 4 deg , driveshaft at 0 deg and rearend up 2 deg you'll have 2 deg positive pinion angle . Look at Fig 2 on this link http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/irsvibes.html yours is the opposite . Here's a pic of a 4x4 driveshaft http://www.4x4now.com/gt0899.htm . If the rearend climbs upward on the launch it will straighten out the angle between the rearend and driveshaft in this pic . If your rearend to driveshaft angle is opposite to this pic , your 2 deg positive angle will change to about 4 deg positive when you launch .

Paul

Hey Paul.  I'll check that link tonite...remember, I don't launch, I cruise!  I live 60km from the city, 90% of my driving is highway cruising which is what I want to set it up for.  When cruising at 70mph the pinion should be pretty much in the same position as when at rest.

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #28 - 01/13/11 at 03:34:46

I have to ask what are the blue & black (wire?) things run in the tunnel?

Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #29 - 01/13/11 at 05:22:45

Quote from FuzzFace2 on 01/13/11 at 03:34:46:
I have to ask what are the blue & black (wire?) things run in the tunnel?
Dave ----

The black one is my brake line and the blue one is power for my amp in the trunk.

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #30 - 01/13/11 at 05:54:09

Quote from purpleheart on 01/12/11 at 23:15:23:

Paul

Hey Paul.  Figure 2 on the your link shows the tranny pointing up towards the rear and the pinion points down toward the front at an equal angle to make them parrallel.  According to page 3 of this article http://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getFile.asp?RID=10&TID=28&FN=PDF   almost all factory vehicles have the tranny pointing approximately 3degrees down toward the rear and the pinion pointing at an equal angle up toward the front...except for race cars which require the pinion to point down toward the front.

My scenario is more like figure 5 on page 4 with the exception my tranny is at 4, pinion at 2, driveshat at 0.  If my tranny angle dropped to 2 and assuming my driveshaft stayed at 0, then both angles would be equal and cancel out any harmonic vibration tendencies.

I May shim my tranny up a degree but it is already 3/16" higher than original, unfortunately I only measured the tranny height and did not use an angle finder to see how the original set up was.

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #31 - 02/04/11 at 02:50:48

Just curious what other folks are using for gear lube in their T-10?  Royal purple looks interesting and wondering if anyone has any feedback on it?

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #32 - 02/04/11 at 13:57:41

Think the TSM said W90 or W80 no? Think there was 90 in mine when I pulled it to install the T5. Then again I never drove the car so I never checked what it had.  
If you are going with RP in the trany what you using in the rear?
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #33 - 02/04/11 at 23:03:42

I think the TSM asks for 80W.  For the rear end I put Lakewood BFL 80-90 limited slip gear lube...

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #34 - 02/06/11 at 16:18:20

From what I have seen most of the lube for 80/90  you get in the stores can be used in both tranys and rears with LS. The Lakewood oil can you use it in the trany too? You want to use RP in the T10, think ATF in the GV unit & LW in the rear. For me I like to keep to 1 type oil if I can, less confusion then again don’t take much to confuse me Wink
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #35 - 06/02/11 at 20:18:35

Finally got to test out the Gear Vendors today and holy crap...I hit the switch and it's like getting kicked in the seat of the pants by an elephant!  Unfortunately I forgot my rev limiter is set for 4500rpm so I couldn't give it a good workout.  The 2:64 first gear T-10 is great and I really like the placement of the gears compared to the 2:23 tranny.  Need to play with it a bit more but so far so good except for a bit of a vibration at 60mph and up which I assume means my calcs were off on the diff angle.
Here are a few pics:

Email   IP Logged
FrogLeg
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Killeen, TX
Reply #36 - 06/12/11 at 04:32:24

OMG that is SEXY!!  
 You may still have a pinion angle issue, but if you had your shaft cut.. you might just have a driveshaft that wasn't balanced properly. Had that happen a few times, second guessing the angles, and looked at the shaft to see I had lost a bare spot where the weight used to be. Just something to think about.

Quote from AMX401 on 06/02/11 at 20:18:35:
Finally got to test out the Gear Vendors today and holy crap...I hit the switch and it's like getting kicked in the seat of the pants by an elephant!  Unfortunately I forgot my rev limiter is set for 4500rpm so I couldn't give it a good workout.  The 2:64 first gear T-10 is great and I really like the placement of the gears compared to the 2:23 tranny.  Need to play with it a bit more but so far so good except for a bit of a vibration at 60mph and up which I assume means my calcs were off on the diff angle.
Here are a few pics:
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/javelinamx/Overdrive%20Conversion/IMG_28 67.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/javelinamx/Overdrive%20Conversion/IMG_28 66.jpg

9's and drive it to work on Fridays.
Sold the altered Dragster to buy the parts and pieces of a tall deck 632 trying to hit the 8sec mark on pump gas without the nitrous.
Email WWW   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #37 - 06/14/11 at 15:13:57

You hit the nail on the head...turned out the place that shortened my driveshaft didn't have a balancer...even though I specifically asked them if they balance it as well.  Had it rebalanced and it's much better.  Went for about a 150 mile drive yesterday and with the overdrive my RPM is in the 2200-2500 range on the highway but my exhaust is so loud at that range I think my head is going to explode...gotta talk to the muffler shop and see if they can tone it down.

Email   IP Logged
scramboy
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brewster, NY
Reply #38 - 06/21/11 at 13:29:01

What is that machined aluminum block between the two adaptors that requires the mods to the tyranny x member. I don't recall seeing that in the catalog or the other AMX install article in a now defunct AMC club news letter. I want to install a GV setup on my 70 AMX and thought it only needed the drivedshaft shortened. Thanx in advance for your response and your car is real cool. Scramboy.

Email   IP Logged
FrogLeg
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Killeen, TX
Reply #39 - 06/26/11 at 03:43:02

Quote from AMX401 on 06/14/11 at 15:13:57:
You hit the nail on the head...turned out the place that shortened my driveshaft didn't have a balancer...even though I specifically asked them if they balance it as well.  Had it rebalanced and it's much better.  Went for about a 150 mile drive yesterday and with the overdrive my RPM is in the 2200-2500 range on the highway but my exhaust is so loud at that range I think my head is going to explode...gotta talk to the muffler shop and see if they can tone it down.

Can I suggest you invest about $200 in Fat MAT sound deadner?... Worked wonders in my backhalfed car.. was noisy as all getout as just behind the drivers seat its all aluminum sheetmetal... Now it is enjoyable.

9's and drive it to work on Fridays.
Sold the altered Dragster to buy the parts and pieces of a tall deck 632 trying to hit the 8sec mark on pump gas without the nitrous.
Email WWW   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #40 - 06/27/11 at 18:44:26

Quote from scramboy on 06/21/11 at 13:29:01:
What is that machined aluminum block between the two adaptors that requires the mods to the tyranny x member. I don't recall seeing that in the catalog or the other AMX install article in a now defunct AMC club news letter. I want to install a GV setup on my 70 AMX and thought it only needed the drivedshaft shortened. Thanx in advance for your response and your car is real cool. Scramboy.

I'm not sure which block you are referring to...the kit comes in 3 pieces, the tail piece that replaces the tranny tail, an adapter which is sized to the length of the tail shaft, and the overdrive.

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #41 - 06/27/11 at 18:47:44

Quote from FrogLeg on 06/26/11 at 03:43:02:
Quote from AMX401 on 06/14/11 at 15:13:57:

Can I suggest you invest about $200 in Fat MAT sound deadner?... Worked wonders in my backhalfed car.. was noisy as all getout as just behind the drivers seat its all aluminum sheetmetal... Now it is enjoyable.

I do have fairly thick sound deadener which goes all the way back to the trunk divider...I ordered a couple of resonators and am changing my tips from pointing down to straight out.  We're planning a few trips this summer which will be 3-4 hours of driving and I want it as quiet as possible.

Email   IP Logged
scramboy
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Brewster, NY
Reply #42 - 06/28/11 at 01:44:19

It is the billet piece that required you to modify the tranny x-member. I called GV and they explained all production kits for the AMC come that way cause of the shifter location. i was under the impression that it was a total bolt on except for driveshaft shortening. I guess not, the mad is nothing I cant handle but GV charges $850 for an install on a 4 sp. tranny. Your car has been an influence for my choice to go GV. Thanx and  good luck. Scramboy.

Email   IP Logged
AMX401
AMCrazy

Reply #43 - 06/28/11 at 04:29:26

Quote from scramboy on 06/28/11 at 01:44:19:
It is the billet piece that required you to modify the tranny x-member. I called GV and they explained all production kits for the AMC come that way cause of the shifter location. i was under the impression that it was a total bolt on except for driveshaft shortening. I guess not, the mad is nothing I cant handle but GV charges $850 for an install on a 4 sp. tranny. Your car has been an influence for my choice to go GV. Thanx and  good luck. Scramboy.

Right, forgot about that other block, I believe it is required for the T10 tail shaft to mate up to the GV unit, otherwise it would be too long.  I'm not sure of this, but I believe GV took the standard Ford T10 kit and modified it for AMC...I think the price was around $2800 plus freight.  My driveshaft was an extra $200 to get it shortened.  Make sure they send the angled speedometer adapter and the shifter with a switch.

Went for a good spin tonight now that my exhaust is quiet as a 20 foot mouse and still have a slight vibration (more of an annoyance)...may be best to take it to a shop that can check the driveshaft, rear end, rotors, tires, etc.

Email   IP Logged
marty
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Plano, TX
Reply #44 - 06/14/12 at 01:04:14

Paul,
  I'm installing a GV on my 74 Javelin AMX (401, auto) and had a question on the power source you used.  It says to use a source that is off during ignition but on during run.  What did you use as the source.  Thanks.
Marty

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print