The AMC Forum - matching a part number

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
02/20/18 at 23:30:02
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
matching a part number (Read 3901 times)
70javrag
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Brampton, Ontario.
matching a part number
04/11/11 at 15:03:24

After years of collecting parts for my car it is now in the lets put it together stage. I've had these mirrors for years thinking they would fit my car but they are not even close. The part number on the base is 3631423. Does anyone have an idea what these are from? I guess my second question is does anyone have a very good set of mirrors for a 70 javelin? I think PG Classics sells repros of these but I haven't heard very many good things about them. Has anybody bought these mirrors from this company?

Email   IP Logged
71SC360
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Albion, NY
Re: matching a part number
Reply #1 - 04/16/11 at 16:13:53

Quote from 70javrag on 04/11/11 at 15:03:24:
After years of collecting parts for my car it is now in the lets put it together stage. I've had these mirrors for years thinking they would fit my car but they are not even close. The part number on the base is 3631423. Does anyone have an idea what these are from? I guess my second question is does anyone have a very good set of mirrors for a 70 javelin? I think PG Classics sells repros of these but I haven't heard very many good things about them. Has anybody bought these mirrors from this company?

If they are the original AMC sport mirrors, you probably have one from a Gremlin/Hornet. They look the same but the mounting base has a different angle to it. AMX's, Javelin's and other big body AMC's had a base angle of about 45 degrees while the Gremlin/Hornet/Pacer mirrors have closer to 90 degree base angle.

Email   IP Logged
70javrag
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Brampton, Ontario.
Reply #2 - 04/18/11 at 23:57:55

That is about right on the angle so they must be from a gremlin. Thanks Joe it's been bugging me for a week now. I don't suppose you have a very good set available in your parts supply? Nick.

Email   IP Logged
jd6208
AMCrazy

Muscle Cars should
have Redline Tires!

Ripon, CA
Reply #3 - 04/30/11 at 00:09:15

I bought the reproduction mirrors and have been pretty happy with them on my 68 Javelin.  I seem to recall some discussion about different finishes on the mirrors for different year AMCs - I don't remember if the finish on the repros is correct for 1970 - maybe some else else does?

James

James
68 Javelin SST 290/AT Caravelle Blue w/ White Vinyl Roof
Email   IP Logged
71SC360
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Albion, NY
Reply #4 - 05/10/11 at 13:12:48

Sorry, I don't have any for AMX's or Javelin's right now. I do get them every now and again but you might want to try the repops.  

Sorry for the late response, I wish I could spend more time on the forum but my plate is full right now so it's been hard to keep up..

Email   IP Logged
nemesis
Forum Junkie

visit
planethoustonamx.com

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 06/16/11 at 21:07:15

Eddie Stakes
Email WWW   IP Logged
1750mopar
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Fordsville, KY
Reply #6 - 10/28/11 at 00:09:34

That should be a sport mirror,non remote and in primer. 77 AMX right side. Checked the NOS and the one off my car. That is the correct casting number on both.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print