The AMC Forum - gauge pak

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
11/23/14 at 23:51:43
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gauge pak (Read 1064 times)
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
gauge pak
06/01/11 at 18:49:03

this has probably been talked about before, but I just took the X out for a run (it gets driven maybe 3-4 times a year, but this year I want to get it out way more)

'69 amx 390/stick (if that matters), all factory electrical systems

here is what is happening:
Oil pressure is way up high at 50mph (higher than I remember anyway, like 70lbs) but what is the real concern is the alternator reading, at 50 it pegs the needle at +40 (itís a new 55amp alternator and ran good all 3 times last year and the 2 times Iíve had it out this year) new battery last year (I must have had money last year)  

What is the alternator gauge doing, measuring how much the battery is drawing from the alternator? Also at idle it settles down to what I remember as normal (normaller???)

In my mind (as small as it is) this could be a bum alternator, the regulator could have given up the ghost, the gauge could be defective, a wire could be corrupt or the battery is kaput (thatís technical German talk)Ö..how do i isolate this?

I think the high oil pressure is maybe it just needs an oil change

going to dig out TSM tonight, but if someone has a quick test to help isolate it would be appreciated

Email rambling_rebel_70   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: gauge pak
Reply #1 - 06/01/11 at 19:47:18

First thing I would do is disconnect the batt and have it load tested. With it out I would clean all fuses & holders because from sitting they crap up and make things do strange stuff. Do the same for the REG & ALT plugs. Clean the wires at the SOL, this is IIRC where the power feed is picked up. When all clean install batt and see what happens.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #2 - 06/01/11 at 20:42:26

thanks FF2, it'd be easier and quicker to swap in a new battery I guess, I don't know who has a load tester around me. I'll swap in another battery while I ask around.

and will do all what you suggested (its been so humid and rainy up here the last long while I have tires here that are soaking wet with sweat), I think its probably a connection issue with all this moisture here

even my Machine is having issues, I have full juice on the battery, all clean connections, lights (dash and outside lights) light up very bright but car won't crank over....it really does do more harm to let cars sit than actually driving them

FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #3 - 06/02/11 at 01:15:38

I was only thinking of load test because of the gauge reading and something wanting to put that kind of load out put from the ALT. And after seeing what the fuses & holders looked like on my project car could throw off gauges but I also dont think the ALT gauge goes thru a fuse? but does get it's feed from the SOL IIRC.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #4 - 06/02/11 at 01:26:53

yeah, i was a little worried trying to get it back home, i remember being a passenger in a chevy when I was a teen and the battery exploded and I think it was due to a regulator malfunction/ overcharge condition (if memory serves)....you might as well have cut the front half of the car off and replaced it, made a heck of a mess....I don't need another, another, nother major project...

supposed to be real nice here tomorrow, going to start down the list

I dug out the tsm i just don't rtemember alot about the gauge pak in there for troubleshooting other than a wiring diagram of it

thanks again

Randy

rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #5 - 06/08/11 at 03:28:25

during my testing I think I blew up the battery....I even put a new alternator on (built by an AMC alternator rebuilt expert) and put on my Machine's regulator.....still doing the same (btw boiled the battery dry).....I think the battery may have a short circuit in it....taking a new one there to test tomorrow

wish I had $2-3k to throw at it for all new everything

rr

rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #6 - 06/08/11 at 18:51:42

2 things come to mind:

RTFM - I did and discovered I am missing the ground on my alternator (it IS 42 year old wiring...) The TSM shows me where it goes and where it picks it up from , I've always had a connectored wire hanging there but that was a Tachometer wire and its shown in the TSM, but i noticed, and after discussions with a few people it wweaked there was another wire there that looked dryrotted (I assume thats my broken ground wire)

Its always Layer 1 - I tend to over think stuff and just start replacing components without actually digging the tried and tested meter and schematic out (good thing I'm an elektronics engineer  Grin Cheesy )

I'll dig out my soldering tools and spare wire gauges and clean her up nice

maybe its time to replace the 42 year old wiring

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print