The AMC Forum - 77 transfercase issue

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/28/14 at 04:12:41
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
77 transfercase issue (Read 2416 times)
pigbarn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Black River Falls, WI
77 transfercase issue
07/15/11 at 05:10:55

just bought a 77 jeep cherokee 2dr. but it has a problem as it won't move in 2 wheel drive and the rear axles won't work in 4 high but  fronts do. now when you put it in 4 low everything works Huh both front and rear. never messed with these before. was wondering if it is the trsansfercase problem or if the quadra trac set up has issue. has the knob in glove box. 360/2br 727. motor runs great tranny seems fine. it was towed from montana to wi and I don't think drive shaft was unhooked. issue maybe??? any info on these issues

would be appreciated. this thing is all original paint and stripes,says 50k on speedo. hate to part it way to nice. cry

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: 77 transfercase issue
Reply #1 - 07/16/11 at 02:21:14

Dont know to much about that system but if the truck is that nice  then why do you have to part it out when just the transfercase is bad? Cant see where it would be hard to come by a good used one.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #2 - 07/16/11 at 03:05:02

i know the answer to this (I think) but its late and I'm tired.....i have 2 NPxxx transfer cases on the shelf here but it would cost me a spleen to ship them  Cheesy Grin

I'll see if i can come up with a more intelligent answer tomorrow

(ps it sounds like the viscoiuos joint (sp?) which is why i have my two xfer cases on the shelf as spares)

Email rambling_rebel_70   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #3 - 07/16/11 at 04:45:49

I have been out of the 4x4 scene for a long time, I thought the Quadra Trac set up was a full time system with lock or unlock in the box? How do you pick 2x4 or 4x4 and hi/lo? If full time did someone add front locking hubs? Back in the day I thought you added the locking hubs and put the trany in lock to save MPG?
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
pigbarn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Black River Falls, WI
Reply #4 - 07/16/11 at 05:59:20

I have only seen it once. found out it's a 78. has the nob in glove box. I think it has the lock out kit Huh not 100% sure though. just closed deal today. price was rite. It also has a strange switch / knob buy the light switch with 4 settings and a bunch of wires coming out. I'm thinking towing lights or is it factory/// its cast aluminum. I'm tire too

Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #5 - 07/17/11 at 14:11:24

i forgot to ask, do you have a TSM? I'm actually reading through mine right now for tranny/xfer case info....

next time i chat with my jeep dealer I'll ask him for his opinion as well (I should be talking to him today or tomorrow)

rr

pigbarn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Black River Falls, WI
Reply #6 - 07/18/11 at 02:46:00

no tsm. I think the goofy switch is someboby putting in a different wiper swich as it is in that hole. there are no transcases in my area on copart. all the wagoneers around here have rusted away and been junked. asking around I have heard of one 50mi over here and I think I might have seen one 40 miles over there. very few left. the one on ebay gay me my switch reference. I know they have a big chain to run transcase and lowrange is an ad on piece that is mechanacle, after that?????

Email   IP Logged
AMC instigator
Forum Veteran

I've created an AMC
menace- My son is

Cook,MN
Reply #7 - 07/23/11 at 17:02:39

Your t-case is a full time borg warner 1339, it has a viscious coupling inside allowing it to slip allowing no bind up while turning between the front and the rear. It operates much like a postraction unit. Now when the lever is in high range and the Emergency lock out in off[this is the one in glove box]. It is in four wheel drive and allows it to move all around without "skipping" as most std 4x4's will do. It will operate that way in low range too. The switch in the glove box allows you to lock the two in together, meaning the front and the rear. Which essentially bypasses the viscious coupling. In that mode a little light will come on in the dash saying Emergency drive.  It can be driven that way also, but it will bind up and skip like a normal 4x4. A common kit folks installed in the 70-80's was a mile marker mile saver, it put lock outs up front and you cruised around with the emergency lock on. Just as Dave had suggested. If you do not have lock outs it is stock. It will have the drive flanges, and the little chrome covers in the front hubs. The deal where you say it turns the front drive shaft only, and not the rear, how do you know that is happening? If that is while on a hoist, that is normal, since the front spins easier, however you are slipping the V-C by doing it. Also  I should mention, you cannot bolt any other transfer cases in place. The splines from the rear of the trans only fit the Q-trac 1339. They are made in 2 styles, one with low range, and one without, either will work. Sounds like a nice Jeep over all though, I wouldn't suggest parting it out, just a little time to do some fixing.  I know a young fellow here who would love to have one like that for a cruiser. SH

Low comp bridge pivot motors go fast too! Lots of 1978-80 AMX's, Nurse Bobbis' race car "Wild Thing", Mr. Happyfaces' "Trouble Maker" & many other AMC's. NAMDRA #2398 AMO#8370 Northstar AMC #09
Email   IP Logged
rambling_rebel
Forum Junkie

Fergus, Ontario
Reply #8 - 07/24/11 at 00:35:27

excellent response Shannon...answered a few questions I didn't even know I had..... Grin Cheesy

have to go back and look at all my xfer cases and fsj's and do some tests.....darnit, I mean now you gave me work to do....my jtruck looks to have locking hubs but came with a conversion bunch of parts (thats a technical term  Grin Cheesy ) I was thinking I would keep them and lazer cut the M/T caps so I can access them...

(sorry if this is a "hijack")

rr

fuzz401
Site Moderator

looking at being back in 2014
Reply #9 - 07/25/11 at 13:19:40

q track came with th400 from factory not 727 - and q track stoped in 79

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v153/fuzzgremlin/Quadr%20track/?start=all

Email WWW   IP Logged
pigbarn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Black River Falls, WI
Reply #10 - 07/26/11 at 04:40:11

thanks for info very helpful. the guy with title never came back to work , left tools and house and fled to another state. never said a word, so jeep sets in a field with no title. what the Angry  he won't answer phone. so we sit and wait cry a mechanic where he stored the jeep said that the transfer case acted in that manner as he took it out to try to figure out why it woldn't go in 2 wheel . I just drove it 6 feet forward and back. needless to say the mechanic is pissed, work is pissed and i,m pissed. may have to part it if he never returns.

Email   IP Logged
AMC instigator
Forum Veteran

I've created an AMC
menace- My son is

Cook,MN
Reply #11 - 08/13/11 at 15:49:24

If you should get to the point of deciding to part it out- sell it, please let me know. My son would be interested. Thank You SH

Low comp bridge pivot motors go fast too! Lots of 1978-80 AMX's, Nurse Bobbis' race car "Wild Thing", Mr. Happyfaces' "Trouble Maker" & many other AMC's. NAMDRA #2398 AMO#8370 Northstar AMC #09
Email   IP Logged
pigbarn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Black River Falls, WI
Reply #12 - 08/24/11 at 03:40:57

Smiley Smileycherokee showed up this morning at 5.30 am in a lightning storm. I t had flat but got that fixed and drove it down the road and it seemed to run and drive just fine considering the shape the tires are in. only issue I noticed was a shutter from dead stop which i was told was loose trasfercase chain. does anyone rebuild these or make a kit or is there a better plan for the drivetrain. this thing is very nice for a 78. now really don,t want to part it out. cry It needs a home. any body interested or ebay here we come. that will be another horror story Grin Angry Grin

Email   IP Logged
pigbarn
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Black River Falls, WI
Reply #13 - 08/26/11 at 05:11:18

youguys were right it has a tubo 400 in it and 4 different size tires on it. huh wonder if that would cause a little shutter Shocked Shocked just proves the point don't listen to a 25 year old mechanic, no matter howgood they are on diesils and computers undecided no supstitute for old and experience. I don,t think there is anything wrong with it. thanks again for info

Email   IP Logged
Jeepguyp
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 11/17/11 at 14:47:01

Quote from FuzzFace2 on 07/16/11 at 04:45:49:
I have been out of the 4x4 scene for a long time, I thought the Quadra Trac set up was a full time system with lock or unlock in the box? How do you pick 2x4 or 4x4 and hi/lo? If full time did someone add front locking hubs? Back in the day I thought you added the locking hubs and put the trany in lock to save MPG?
Dave ----

You added locking hubs and a very expensive PART TIME CONVERSION to "save MPG".  How many MPGs to pay for a $500 kit?
It is a full-time system.( Best ever designed Wink)  , and doing that just defeats the purpose. It rolls through snow like uts on rails, and getting MPG on a 4800 lb carbureted truck is fantasy anyway. If you don't have that shaft and diff turning, thats only a slight drag...drop in the bucket ,next to the power required for moving that rig.
Putting hubs on the front and locking the dash switch: then you are still turning the front, but gaining no traction

AMC V8 forever
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print