The AMC Forum - Viper T56?

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
11/21/17 at 19:13:35
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Viper T56? (Read 2903 times)
imacarfan2
Forum Veteran
High Performance

Everything is for
sale for the right
price...

West Newbury, MA
Viper T56?
07/18/11 at 12:36:32

Anyone know if a Viper T56 will work in place of a GM T56 behind the new Lakewood bell? Is the bolt pattern to the bellhousing the same as GM? Would it need to have the LS input shaft swapped in? Basically, would it work and what's different. I found a good deal on one and I've heard they're stronger than the standard units, so if it would work, I might just pick it up.

Email   IP Logged
Class Guy
AMCrazy
High Performance

Too much
imagination, not
enough time.

Toad Suck, AR
Re: Viper T56?
Reply #1 - 07/18/11 at 13:04:41

Talk to the guys at Quick Time.  They have more options for making the bellhousing fit the transmission rather than the other way around.

Email   IP Logged
imacarfan2
Forum Veteran
High Performance

Everything is for
sale for the right
price...

West Newbury, MA
Reply #2 - 07/18/11 at 13:42:47

Thanks, but I wasn't so much concerned with if the bellhousing will fit the trans, as I know you can get an adapter, but what I'd need to change, if anything, on the trans to make the trans work. In other words, I know you can pretty much bolt up an LS T56 to the Lakewood or Quicktime bell and be good to go, and the LT T56 needs the LS input shaft to work, but what would the Viper trans need to have changed? And I believe in any case, I'd need the T56 to bell adapter, correct?

Email   IP Logged
imacarfan2
Forum Veteran
High Performance

Everything is for
sale for the right
price...

West Newbury, MA
Reply #3 - 07/21/11 at 03:53:16

So, from what I can tell, the difference between the Viper and usual (read: F-body) T56 is: the Viper T56 has the same input shaft spline count, but the shaft itself is heavier duty and longer meaning it will need to be trimmed down a bit, the output shaft is 30 spline necessitating a Viper-only yoke and the shifter is a little father forward than other T56 transmissions. Other than that, I believe all is the same. I found one for sale that's said to be out of a 94 Viper for $800 with the only damage being a crack in the stock bellhousing. This sounded pretty good to me as the cheapest I've found an F-body T56 is $850 and people always want to get these upgraded to Viper-spec. This being the case, if I can somehow swing it, I might just have to pick this up for the wife's Spirit. That way, I can keep the TKO-600 in my Matador coupe.

Anyone know the length of an LS T56 input shaft?

Email   IP Logged
needafasterAMX
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Tallahassee, FL.
Reply #4 - 07/21/11 at 04:45:18

I'm about 98% sure it will work as is. I just wasn't sure about the spline count. The input is a little longer , But don't think that will be a big hurdle to over come. I looked at one ,one time. But don't remember the length of the input.
Don't hold me to it but,
The viper spec I have in my car, the input is around 6.5/6.75 long and you have to get a pilot bushing for the big end of the crank were the torque cov. nub fits. Newer cranks. outer location.

The T5 that I pull out had a 7.5/7.75 input and it used the inner bushing location. I am thinking this is what you would have to use.

This is the only one I have of the two shafts for a look. It is kinda hard to tell, But the trans are lined up to the bell. That is a nice thing about the newer AMC cranks, Is the ability to use the outer or inner holes for different length inputs.

74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear now 3:15 with trutrac
A Turbo is in my future.
Email   IP Logged
imacarfan2
Forum Veteran
High Performance

Everything is for
sale for the right
price...

West Newbury, MA
Reply #5 - 07/21/11 at 14:42:46

Cool! Thanks for the pics!

I'm planning on ordering the adapter plate from The Gear Box off eBay, so I asked them a few questions. He says that I'll be able to run the Viper trans as is, but that I may have to do something to the pilot hole area. He might not know or have thought about the two hole deal on the AMC crank. Or maybe I will have to do something to the hole. If I do get to use the outer hole, I'm going to try to find a pilot bearing I can use instead of a bushing. I'll post what happens.

Thanks again!

Email   IP Logged
5spdwagon
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

EDEN, GA
Reply #6 - 10/29/17 at 19:26:20

Anyone have any info or pics of what needs to be done to put a t56 in my javelin?

Amc Wagon is almost as cool as a big block chevy
If you dont have 3 pedals its not a real hot rod
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print