The AMC Forum - Voltage regulator in a 73 Gremlin

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
09/02/14 at 14:00:09
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage regulator in a 73 Gremlin (Read 937 times)
Leon Richard
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Kitchener Ontario Canada
Voltage regulator in a 73 Gremlin
07/25/11 at 22:33:08

So, I suspect the CVR in my Gremlin isn't quite right. The temp gauge seems to read too low. It seems to just get into the green, then doesn't go higher, even when the after market guage says 200 degrees, and the fuel guage, when I fill it, it says full, but as I drive it drops pretty quick, like 3/4 of a tank in half an hour. Then, it gets to a quarter tank and just seems to stay there until the fuel acctually gets below a quarter tank, and SEEMS to read accuratly after that.  
The TSM says how to check the guages themselves, and I will do that, but what I'm wondering is how do you fix it if it is the CVR? It is built into the temp guage, the TSM says just replace the temp guage, but I bet they aren't so easy to find these days. Is there another way to fix it?

Email Leon Richard   IP Logged
Fluffy73
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Degenerate

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Re: Voltage regulator in a 73 Gremlin
Reply #1 - 07/25/11 at 22:50:49

Well, if the gauges aren't swinging wildly or pegging off the scale, I'd wager it's working fine. The temp gauge sounds like all my cars. IIRC, the TSM states that the left edge of the green bar is 170 degrees. So if it's just tickling the green bar, that's probably 180 or 190 if your thermostat is working correctly.  

The fuel gauge also sounds about right. My Yellow Hornet is the absolute WORST. I'll fill up, it'll show "F" but drive for 10 mins and it'll already be down to 3/4. Once it gets to the halfway mark, it's there for what seems like an eternity then plummets for "E" after a while.  Oddly, the oldest car in my flock, the Gremlin, has the most linear gauge and the biggest tank. It seems to be the most accurate.

I can't use my Javelin as an example as it's gauge ALWAYS drops for "E"..... could be my heavy foot though.

'75 Hornet Hatchback 304/5 Speed Chrome Yellow
'74 Hornet Hatchback 258/Auto Maxi Blue
'73 Javelin "Victory Edition" 360/Auto Trans Am Red
'70Ĺ Gremlin 232/3spd Big Bad Green

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #2 - 07/26/11 at 12:03:07

I would go thru the testing to make sure it is the CVR. I am also guessing it is part of the temp gauge.
Now with that said I think I saw on EBay someone selling them that will fit any car. They also show how to replace the ones that are part of the gauge like yours so you donít need to find a gauge with the CVR.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
Leon Richard
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Kitchener Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - 07/27/11 at 18:23:04

OK, thanks guys. My father in law knows his electronics and can help me test the guages. Neither guage is that big of a deal, though it would be nice to get the fuel working better. I've lived with it this way for 3 years, finaly thought I would look into it.  
The first time I noticed the fuel dropped 3/4 in a 45 min drive, I thought HUH?!, where is my gas going? I went to fill it up, and it only took like $10 to fill. The other thing is after the car sits for a day or so, the gas gauge will read closer to correct, for a little while. LOL

Email Leon Richard   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print