The AMC Forum - AMC Model 15 Rebuild help

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
02/20/18 at 23:29:11
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AMC Model 15 Rebuild help (Read 4118 times)
getch
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Portland ME
AMC Model 15 Rebuild help
12/19/11 at 14:14:29

Hi All
My AMX's rear end needs to be rebuilt. I dont know if its something I should tackel or not having never set one up. Im looking for suggestions or maybe a thread where I can find simple instructions. I would welcome any help from the local guys as well.
Last resort is bring it to a shop and have them do it.

Getch
Southern Maine

Email   IP Logged
68AMX
Forum Junkie

It has only just
begun......and it
now continues.

Woodbury Heights, NJ
Re: AMC Model 15 Rebuild help
Reply #1 - 12/21/11 at 00:18:09

Well.......I'll jump in here and take a shot at answering your question. I got to start by telling you that 2 rears I've attempted to rebuild have failed. A lot of precise measuring and patience is needed. I think I'd rather rebuild an engine. I've thought about changing gears in my 68 to a more streetable gear ratio but found it cheaper just to swap it out with a known good stock posi rear. I consulted the good old Chiltons and Motors manuals before deciding I wouldn't do it, plust the parts prices for me were astronomical. Good luck!

1968 AMX 390 4spd. 4:10
Email 68AMX   IP Logged
brownSpirit
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Georgetown, MA
Reply #2 - 12/21/11 at 01:16:57

I would try and find another rear, but if your ambitious you can do it your self.  I find Randys ring and pinon tech section most helpful, I've done a few, there is a learning curve but it is not super difficult.  I did a for  8.8 twice that held for years behind a 302 and 4 speed with 38" boggers, and a dana 35 in a jeep that has been together a few years of normal driving,  It is time consuming, but it can be difficult to find someone to take the job on.  Good luck Andy

1969 BBB AMX 390/4-speed (race car project)
1969 S/C Rambler
1968 rogue 290/auto 50k miles

Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #3 - 12/21/11 at 10:05:57

Quote from getch on 12/19/11 at 14:14:29:
Hi All
My AMX's rear end needs to be rebuilt. I dont know if its something I should tackel or not having never set one up. Im looking for suggestions or maybe a thread where I can find simple instructions. I would welcome any help from the local guys as well.
Last resort is bring it to a shop and have them do it.

Getch
Southern Maine

I guess the first question should be why does it need a rebuild? I've found installing spider gears in a posi rear to be challanging, since the clutches have spring pressure on them, and setting up a new ring and pinion can be tedious, but replacing a pinion seal doesn't have to be difficult. What does your differential need?

Dave Z

81 Spirit 232 T-10 3.54 model 20
72 Javelin AMX 360 T-10 (son's car)
73 Javelin AMX 401 727 (long term project)
88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
getch
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Portland ME
Reply #4 - 12/21/11 at 17:28:39

Bearing are shot ...not sure if its wheel (easy) or carrier (hard)
Also I think its out of spec...I get a lot of fore and aft play when I push/pull an axel.
When both wheels are up the wheel moves a good 1/2"-3/4" before the pinion turns.
Its a posi unit original to the car which is rather exceptional shape. California spec 2.73:1

Email   IP Logged
Fluffy73
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Degenerate

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Reply #5 - 12/22/11 at 23:43:17

Better make sure you know which axle you're working on.  The Model 15 is generally a 6-cylinder axle and not used in the classic '68 thru '74 AMX's unless you're talking a '77 Hornet AMX which could have the 15.  Most V8 cars are the model 20, easily identified by the perfectly round rear cover without a drain plug.

In my experience having done one of each axle type, believe it or don't - the 15 is easier to find parts for. It shares tons of parts with a Dana 35 and since that's a common Jeep axle, parts are readily available.  The model 20 carrier bearing shims are becomming hard to find and somebody once told me that Chevy 10-bolt axle shims work - they do not - they are too small and can possibly jostle around post-assembly.

If you don't feel like tackling it yourself, find a reputable shop in your area. I would even go as far as to say go make friends with your Chrysler dealership. Side Story:  When I was rebuilding my Javelin's 20, I didn't have the tools to rebuild the Twin Grip, so I took it to a local, old-timey trans & axle shop. Oh yeah, No problem I was told. 3 Months later where the hell is my Twin Grip? Suffice to say the old fart didn't even bother and stole my bottle of additive I left him in the process for another job. Furious, I took it to my Chrysler Dealer and they said no problem. THE NEXT AFTERNOON they called me to tell me my TG unit was done.  Cost me $250, but I gotta say, that's some darn good service for $250!

'75 Hornet Hatchback 304/5 Speed Chrome Yellow
'74 Hornet Hatchback 258/Auto Maxi Blue [SOLD!]
'73 Javelin "Victory Edition" 360/Auto Trans Am Red
'70 Gremlin 232/3spd Big Bad Green [FOR SALE!]
Email   IP Logged
getch
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Portland ME
Reply #6 - 12/23/11 at 14:11:16

Yeah pretty much decided to go the DIFM route...found a shop and Im gonna pull it and bring it to him...I will renew bushing etc  
Its a 80 AMX w/ a 94 Jeep 4.0L stroked to 4.6L. The rear is a model 15 w/ factory posi.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print