The AMC Forum - Looking for a 9.99 ET.

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/24/14 at 10:16:42
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Looking for a 9.99 ET. (Read 7980 times)
djohnston
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Laingsburg Michigan
Re: Looking for a 9.99 ET.
Reply #15 - 12/21/11 at 20:06:33

Quote from SKeown on 12/21/11 at 19:10:15:

How come people in Michigan act like a bunch of old women with no sense of humor? It's good to know ya'll are concerned about me though. Heck, Jeff Lee was so worried about me he actually called the track demanding they make me adhere to any and all safety regulations, what a guy!! He didn't consider the fact that the owner's sister and I were tight.

It's because you're loved steve, we would miss ya if something happened.  Cheesy

Seriously though, i meant no offense, do what ya want. And no, i wouldnt be calling a track official on you or anybody else for that matter.  

« Last Edit: 12/21/11 at 22:39:54 by StickShifter »  
Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #16 - 12/21/11 at 20:35:14

Dave, it's good to be loved, but please don't take me too seriousely. BTW, I'll be in you're neighborhood next month playing poker in Detroit.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #17 - 12/21/11 at 22:47:57

You know, something I find perculiar, why is stickshifter editying djohnson's post, at 17:39:54 which doesn't jive anyway???

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
StickShifter
Site Moderator
High Performance

8.009 & 170.30 @
2700# NA & 7.03
@ 198 w/N2O

Ypsilanti, MI
Reply #18 - 12/21/11 at 22:50:18

Quote from SKeown on 12/21/11 at 19:10:15:

How come people in Michigan act like a bunch of old women with no sense of humor? It's good to know ya'll are concerned about me though.

Kevin, this is an IHRA track that's a bit liberal. It appears you're friend doesn't know when to let off. Naturally the guy in the other lane is a factor too. If I actually go under the 10.00, then I'll address the cage thing. I may even go ahead and put a driveshaft loop in it then? undecided

SKeown

This could be interesting.  Can't wait to hear you b!tching about the full face helmet, gloves, and fire suit that are also required for faster than 10.0.  All that stuff should be a breeze in the Arizona summer weather.

If someone dies while racing, it affects all racers.  Either through bad PR, track insurance, or other rules and requirements.  Yea, we care about you, but don't push that one too far. Wink  That is unless the racer dies from old age. Grin

http://youtu.be/z1zc7OK9wzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk4XprI-rCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtX6JZPfBi4
Email   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Bret Kepner Photo
Barry Allen Engine
BIG Headers

Oreana, IL
Reply #19 - 12/21/11 at 23:02:55

I recommend buying a a jerico because it is the only oem style tranny out there that will hold up...
You can obtain your goal with that tranny and a low 1st gear and shift it clutchless..That with your engine now would atleast be 10.0s imho...

80 AMX 2950# Iron Head 420 N/A Jerico 4-speed street legal

1.277 60ft. 5.95 116.38
9's at 145.11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvmmXXoxAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQprfva4Tg
Email WWW   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #20 - 12/21/11 at 23:03:28

As a matter of fact, after my last checkup, the doctor I grew up with said " Steve drive carefully, otherwise you'll live a long time" Shocked Longivity runs in our family, in spite of our behavior. kiss

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #21 - 12/21/11 at 23:07:29

Quote from Hurst390 on 12/21/11 at 23:02:55:
I recommend buying a a jerico because it is the only oem style tranny out there that will hold up...
You can obtain your goal with that tranny and a low 1st gear and shift it clutchless..That with your engine now would atleast be 10.0s imho...

I intend to give the T-10 a fair chance first, then who knows? Besides I feel shifting clutchless is for sissys, along with nitrous oxide. Grin Anyway T assured me I would run 9.80's!! He's the one that insisted I go this route.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
tsanchez
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Chandler AZ
Reply #22 - 12/21/11 at 23:38:19

When I collect all your parts im putting an auto behnd it Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #23 - 12/21/11 at 23:45:41

Quote from tsanchez on 12/21/11 at 23:38:19:
When I collect all your parts im putting an auto behnd it Roll Eyes

Talk about sissyfied. Sad I do realize that's not really a word...LOL

If my heart survives, it wont permit it! Actually it should still be pretty good, when I ran marathons and cycled, my waiking BPM was 36-38 if I wasn't over training.

You know, when I began this post I was sure I would face an onslought from the brand X forum, I just regret Pappy cain't join in, he's more fun than the rest put together. Grin

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
StickShifter
Site Moderator
High Performance

8.009 & 170.30 @
2700# NA & 7.03
@ 198 w/N2O

Ypsilanti, MI
Reply #24 - 12/22/11 at 00:33:28

You're OK Steve, even with all your flawed logic, wacky ideas, and strange friends.  But that's only because you do have a nice car that does actually run darn well.  Sell the car and then we don't know you. Cool

OK, you can still come on the forum.  Grin

http://youtu.be/z1zc7OK9wzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk4XprI-rCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtX6JZPfBi4
Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #25 - 12/22/11 at 02:35:58

Kevin, you've tipped you're hand, wacky ideas and flawed logic can only come from my argueing the centered rod deal, but it's an honor to have you're permission to come here. Roll Eyes BTW, you're car does pretty good too.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Bret Kepner Photo
Barry Allen Engine
BIG Headers

Oreana, IL
Reply #26 - 12/22/11 at 16:53:26

Quote from SKeown on 12/21/11 at 23:07:29:
Quote from Hurst390 on 12/21/11 at 23:02:55:

I intend to give the T-10 a fair chance first, then who knows? Besides I feel shifting clutchless is for sissys, along with nitrous oxide. Grin Anyway T assured me I would run 9.80's!! He's the one that insisted I go this route.

SKeown

Shiftless clutching may be for sissy's? I don't know.... but I can tell you it will pick up your e.t. and allow your clutch to work like it was designed for...  
Nitrous..i've played with it and it doesn't interest me...

I don't see 9.80's with the changes you've mentioned but I've been wrong before...

80 AMX 2950# Iron Head 420 N/A Jerico 4-speed street legal

1.277 60ft. 5.95 116.38
9's at 145.11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvmmXXoxAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQprfva4Tg
Email WWW   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #27 - 12/22/11 at 17:39:57

"I don't see 9.80's with the changes you've mentioned but I've been wrong before."  

I know, that's a wild expectation. I've seen gobs of power unleashed before with similiar changes, but nothing along those lines. Changing converters in the S10 did provide an instant .4 reduction in times though, I was shocked.

One of the Schneider bros had BA do additional work on some already ported Indy heads, he saw a .35 gain on the first pass afterwards, and that car was already in the mid 9's.

If the changes make enough additional power to allow the 2.64 low gear to work, who knows? My car has allways done best once in high gear, with a best 60' of 1.45. If I can trim a tenth there, I can see very low 10's anyway.

I'm convinced my current heads have me bottle necked, the additional 29 inches, .5 bump in compression and more cam only gave me .28 and I had to catch perfect air for that. I had tried a number of things that made no difference at all, that was reminiscent of a dragster I had decades ago. Once I corrected a fuel supply problem it took off, that was after changing cams, gearing and everything else with no positive results.

The idea of an automatic repulses me, but one properly setup would likely help too. Ann's 69 AMX for instance.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
steeters
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Sacramento, CA
Reply #28 - 12/23/11 at 02:48:52

Steve, how fast have people gone with a car at your weight with a T-10?

Steve

Steve Teeters 1970 Javelin 390 SST Hialeah Yellow Ram Air with Machine wheels. 401/TC727. Going into the college body shop for a new paint job and some body work.
Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #29 - 12/23/11 at 03:13:08

To be honest I'm not sure, but the McCorkle bros claimed 10.20 once, which they admitted could have been a timing error, being it was considerably off their normal times.  

Naturally clutches then were harder on drivelines too, particularly with the heavy flywheels most were running. I know Jones Rambler's S/S car had a 50# flywheel, and they did some super wheelies, but my car with a complete flywheel/clutch assembly weighs slightly over 27#'s and it's 1/2 second quicker than theirs.  

I do recall their car arrived with a 2.23 low gear tranny, once it was converted to a 2.64 ratio that was the biggest improvement they achieved. Poor Butch, Robbie and Blackie the mechanic weren't really geared for racing and were constantly plagued with silly problems. They did however manage a MPH record along the line.

From what I can gather, the AMX's tended to MPH good in relation to their times, I know mine does.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print