The AMC Forum - Looking for a 9.99 ET.

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
04/19/14 at 02:37:44
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Looking for a 9.99 ET. (Read 7252 times)
steeters
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Sacramento, CA
Re: Looking for a 9.99 ET.
Reply #45 - 12/24/11 at 04:46:05

Steve, it's funny how we are wired differently.  You don't seem to worry about the safety equipment that much.  I went mid 12s with a 6pt cage and would have been happier with a funny car style cage. Cool

Sounds like a cool car and I've enjoyed reading about your progress.  Good luck with your quest for 9s.

Steve

Steve Teeters 1970 Javelin 390 SST Hialeah Yellow Ram Air with Machine wheels. 401/TC727. Going into the college body shop for a new paint job and some body work.
Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #46 - 12/24/11 at 05:15:10

"Actually, you are the one that keeps bringing up your age.  You want the pat on the back for doing your deal at your age, and you deserve it.  However, that also opens you up to the rest of the baggage that the "age" factor bring with it.  Yes, there is a fair amount of fun ribbing included here too but that goes for the young guys too.

The age deal is just a difference, something to set us apart.  No different than you being from the South West.  Just another way to differentiate the players.

Sorry, but I really don't need to foot race anyone to prove their or my health capability.  If you really want to run for your life, I can set you up with an "interesting" situation  while you're in Detroit. Cool"

Pat on the back for something I'm doing at my age, I've owned the car for 43 years.. Neither of us needs to foot race, I would just like to, and you're afraid to.. Anyway, give it some further thought and PM me you're phone number and I'll contact you once there to hear about the "interesing" situation you have in store.

Yep, a lot of crashes result from automatic transmission fluid, I hope the girl came away okay. A friend of mine recently had his rearend roll up to a positive angle, bind the driveline and busted the transmission which set the car ablaze past mid track.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #47 - 12/24/11 at 05:34:48

Quote from steeters on 12/24/11 at 04:46:05:
Steve, it's funny how we are wired differently.  You don't seem to worry about the safety equipment that much.  I went mid 12s with a 6pt cage and would have been happier with a funny car style cage. Cool

Sounds like a cool car and I've enjoyed reading about your progress.  Good luck with your quest for 9s.

Steve

My reluctance to the roll bar was more about avoiding modifying the interior than anything else. Besides, I have the sence (maybe false) that I know how the car will behave, I've had to lift on occasions, but realize that run is no good anyway.

I enjoy outlining the changes I make and enjoy the input I receive along the way. It's really about something to discuss.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
Glenn Quinn
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Conshohocken, PA
Reply #48 - 12/24/11 at 13:23:26

This is why I love AMCers, lots of good comments and encouragement  Grin. Steve have fun with your car and be safe, most tracks will let you go one or two passes before they flag you for safety equipment. I can tell you that even with a 25.1E certification and all of my safety equipment, each time I get behind the wheel, I say a little payer.

The "X", 8.74 @ 161.54
Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #49 - 12/24/11 at 16:51:26

Glen, it's funny I guess, but I used to have a dragster that I approached 200 MPH in, and it never concerned me, even on a track that had a dip that caused the frame to creat sparks. The thing I didn't like was having oil blown on me. We were probably living real dangerously back then, and I will heed the warnings I'm receiving.  

Even road racing pedal bikes I liked the flimsy leather "hair net" style head gear, and resisted the crackdown for better protection, mainly due to the added weight causing my neck and sholders to be tired. Heck, I even had a cheek bone broken, but couldn't imagene something like that happening again, dumb I suppose.

I have a good friend that played professional rugby in England, he later became a bull rider then rodeo clown. Dusty introduced me to cycling from running. He maintained worrying about possible harm would have prevented him from doing what he wanted to do.

Steeters mentioned how people are wired different. In cycling where bunched together or decending, you know you'll go down occasionally, you just don't allow yourself to think about it. Yes, I agree in auto racing precautionary measurers should be adopted, but drag racing seems so benign.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
Aussie69Jav
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #50 - 12/24/11 at 22:30:03

Thought it might interest you guys, our local track has just revised the rules for minor events to allow modern street cars (must have airbags and 4 wheel disc brakes from factory) to run down to 10.00 without a cage and others can now run 10.50, previously it was 11.00 for everybody before you needed a cage. Possibly a combitnation of sending too many cars home and the fact that it is very difficult to license a car for road use down here with a cage in it, well in fact it is basically impossible, you can have a 4 point roll bar on the street and that is about it.

http://www.australianjavelins.com/
Email WWW   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #51 - 12/25/11 at 00:20:01

Quote from Aussie69Jav on 12/24/11 at 22:30:03:
Thought it might interest you guys, our local track has just revised the rules for minor events to allow modern street cars (must have airbags and 4 wheel disc brakes from factory) to run down to 10.00 without a cage and others can now run 10.50, previously it was 11.00 for everybody before you needed a cage. Possibly a combitnation of sending too many cars home and the fact that it is very difficult to license a car for road use down here with a cage in it, well in fact it is basically impossible, you can have a 4 point roll bar on the street and that is about it.

That kind of parallels my thinking that some safety measures are designed to boost the industry.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
brownSpirit
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Georgetown, MA
Reply #52 - 12/25/11 at 00:44:28

Well, enough about safety bs,  who's doing the heads, are you keeping the cam, or changing that.  Andy

1969 BBB AMX 390/4-speed (race car project)
1969 S/C Rambler
1968 rogue 290/auto 50k miles

Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #53 - 12/25/11 at 03:45:27

Quote from brownSpirit on 12/25/11 at 00:44:28:
Well, enough about safety bs,  who's doing the heads, are you keeping the cam, or changing that.  Andy

I've been thinking about the safety BS and am going to address that further, but I'll answer you're questions first. I'm keeping my current cam, but changing from 1.6 to 1.7 rockers which will increase the lift to slightly over .700. Berry will be bushing the lifter bores, adding the extra head bolts, fitting rockers and restricting the drivers side oil galley on the bare block I'm delivering there. The head porting, valve job, valve spring setup and milling to 58cc will be performed by Ken P. I will port match the intake and assemble everything.

How people are wired regarding safety, I don't feel it's a matter of courage or intellegance, but how individuals calculate risk. I feel high wire walking, flamboyant sky scraper workers and sky diving as very risky, they essentially have no room for error. I consider open wheel IRL racing quiet risky even with the safety measures. When it comes to dag racing I wouldn't be anxious to drive Blown Altereds, Top Funnys and particularly Pro Bikes (I know what a death wobble is all about). I'm perfectly comfortable with a mid 10 second full bodied car I've prepared wearing tennies, t-shirt, lap belt and helmet. I have been a bit anxious about the car beside me before, after sizing up the people and car's build quality, you know the nitrous burners with the shift cable dragging the ground.

Now enough BS about safety, I'm either in are in the process of being totally compliant with rules for a 10 second car. If by some miracle I exceed that, then I don't know?

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #54 - 02/09/12 at 02:44:13

Being the 1.7 Jesel rockers turned out to be 1.6 ratio, and being I had someone wanting my current cam, I opted for a new Bullet cam with the same LSA and duration, but .060 more valve lift. I feel it will compliment the new Indy heads and intake.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
Red Devil
AMCrazy

Brantford, ONT
Reply #55 - 02/09/12 at 18:47:44

Quote from SKeown on 12/23/11 at 07:54:14:

I've found a sourse for a straight cut 3.08 gear set fot T-10's. The problem is it's non syncro, so it's got to be power shifted, that's quiet a compromise for a street driven car, not to mention it's got to be in gear when the engine is started and killed to go to reverse. I don't know about that idea, and am hoping a better breathing engine will allow me to back down to a 4.30 rear gear and still improve my short times with the tranny I currently have.

SKeown

Get road-race style dog rings for street use.  Blip the throttle to downshift, lift throttle momentarily or use automatic ignition/fuel cut to upshift.  
Link to a Pfitzner dog-ring gear box being street driven - not too harsh at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1jO64tuQA
http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/
One of their applications shows a T10 gear set, but no details on the site?  Lots of fast cars using Pfitner boxes.

Keisler is NA distributor for the Pfitzner T56 gear set and markets as their Road Race 6 speed.  The T56 fits with minimal modifications, but it's heavy and expensive ... but gets OD so you can cruise at reasonable rpms if you're truly wanting to keep the AMX as a street car.    
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2fGeL7DEE   Note: Shafi doesn't blip throttle to rev match on downshift, so chirps (poor shifting technique).
http://www.keislerauto.com/recent-news/the-all-new-road-a-track-6-speed.html

Hope this helps, RD.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print