The AMC Forum - enclosed car hauler

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/24/14 at 00:29:42
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
enclosed car hauler (Read 3172 times)
chickenman
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Feversham, ONT
enclosed car hauler
12/30/11 at 14:33:17

Not sure if this is in the right spot but it has to do with racing. I just picked up a enclosed 20' car trailer. I've painted the floor, and undercoated the trailer. I picked up a small electric winch 3000lb to mount to pull the car in the trailer. Any suggestions on the mounting of the electric winch. The trailer has a built in beaver tail at back. One problem I see is the winch line hitting the floor at the top of the ramp when pulling the car in. Just checking with everyone to see what you have done on your trailers with this problem. Thanks Garry

Email   IP Logged
tubbedamx
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Boise, ID
Re: enclosed car hauler
Reply #1 - 12/30/11 at 17:03:34

My enclosed is dove tail as well, when I use the winch the cable never touches the floor but it only misses by a 1/2 inch.  As far as mounting goes, I mounted a piece of 3/16 steel plate underneath and then drilled holes through the floor and through the steel plate.   Seems to be working just fine.    

Another thought, I also put a master battery disconnect switch inside the trailer very similar to what we put in our race cars.   If anything like a wire or your winch motor ever went to ground while you have your trailer in storage or going down the road it could prevent a fire.  

1963 Chevy II Wagon 400/TH350
1969 Amx 390/727 11.22@121.4
1967 Plymouth Notchback Barracuda 360/727
Email   IP Logged
chickenman
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Feversham, ONT
Reply #2 - 12/30/11 at 17:57:05

That makes good sense with the switch. One question I have is would you be better to mount a battery in the trailer. Thought the wiring to back thru your tow vehicle could be smaller , just for charging only. Never used a electric winch before and thought they might draw alot of amps and heat cables up. Garry

Email   IP Logged
tubbedamx
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Boise, ID
Reply #3 - 12/30/11 at 19:49:57

I have a group 27 battery inside, which feeds the lights, winch and tongue jack.   Then you could run a smaller wire to charge the battery.   Besides, if the trailer doesn't have a battery how could you use it when the truck isn't hooked up.

Email   IP Logged
TMAMX
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Napanee, Ontario
Reply #4 - 12/30/11 at 23:03:54

Great idea with the plate under the floor for winch mounting. Most newer trucks come prewired for a battery charge line and a brake controller. If yours isn't, just run #10ga wire from the battery to a resetable circuit breaker near the battery on the tow vehicle and then #10ga back to your trailer connector. From your trailer half of the connector run it to your interior battery. All should be good.

Email   IP Logged
chickenman
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Feversham, ONT
Reply #5 - 12/31/11 at 00:09:06

The trailer I just bought does have a battery, looks like a motorcycle battery and is hooked up to the interior light, but I think its main purpose is if the trailer ever comes off it has a tether strap that activates the electric brakes. My other trailers don't have that. So a big battery sounds good. The car I have is really low so I was thinking some kind of roller at the top of the beavertail inside the trailer for the winch wire to ride on when unloading and loading. I think the front is the minimum 3" clearance in front of the wheels so the cable is going to be extra low. Has anyone done this?  Also what is a group 27 battery. Is that a deep cycle battery. Garry

Email   IP Logged
tubbedamx
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Boise, ID
Reply #6 - 12/31/11 at 02:04:10

Quote from chickenman on 12/31/11 at 00:09:06:
The trailer I just bought does have a battery, looks like a motorcycle battery and is hooked up to the interior light, but I think its main purpose is if the trailer ever comes off it has a tether strap that activates the electric brakes. My other trailers don't have that. So a big battery sounds good. The car I have is really low so I was thinking some kind of roller at the top of the beavertail inside the trailer for the winch wire to ride on when unloading and loading. I think the front is the minimum 3" clearance in front of the wheels so the cable is going to be extra low. Has anyone done this?  Also what is a group 27 battery. Is that a deep cycle battery. Garry
i

A group 27 is a physically  bigger battery than most car batterys.   I think most small car batteries are group 24.   If you could get 2 six volt batteries,   they would last almost forever.     The roller sounds like a good idea.

Email   IP Logged
77hornetamx
Site Moderator
High Performance

4oh1,s Rule!

Barrie, ONT
Reply #7 - 12/31/11 at 02:20:34

Garry my friend made a box and frame under the floor of his trailer and monted the winch motor down in there . There is a 2 ft x 2 ft lift up panel in the floor to get at it , the cable comes up thru a fair lead roller ( name ???) mounted in the floor  
He also made a weather proof connection box on the side of the trailer so he can have his generator outside  and use it to run all the stuff he has inside the trailer . electric heaters tools tv music etc .  
 He is even so fussy he has a thermosat hooked up to an electric heater for sleeping over night at tracks  
 the idea of a roller for the cable at the end of the floor sounds good , but I,d be worried about stepping on it and falling , when your getting older like we are you dont wanna break a hip or something ..77.

" You can never be sure of the validity of any on line information " Abraham Lincoln .
Stay Hard.
Think Critically .
Question Everything .
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #8 - 12/31/11 at 02:33:34

Funny I was looking at them the other day and wishing I had the $$ to buy one.

What is the concern with the cable & the floor? All I see it doing is marking it I cant see it wearing a hole in it. If you are concerned why not add alum plate where it will rub. Could use sheet metal in place of the alum. Would be less $$ and thinner. How would you fit this roller you talk about & how high would it sit and would the car clear it. Don’t only think of that car but others you may get down the road. How about if you need to slide something across the floor?
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
chickenman
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Feversham, ONT
Reply #9 - 12/31/11 at 03:19:50

Dave the roller thing is something I see would be good by taking a quick glance at the trailer and what I have to work with on my car. No bumper ,no high spot on the car to attach cable. Cable will have to go under front valience and be attached to the front axle. I imagined a pulley or tapered roller attached under the ramp (cut out small piece of plywood, build a cover when not being used) When winching the car from outside of trailer the cable would ride in the pulley or tapered roller and would help guide the car on straight. Once it is on far enough the cable would ride up higher. Your idea Dave of a piece of metal would work also. Just worry about fraying the cable. This is all in my mind as of now.A while back I built what looked like a front landing gear wheel on my platoon boat . Had problems getting it out of water because of it being 25'. The front would dig in the trailer and not winch up. I took a piece of channel steel pivoted it on the back and put a threaded rod on front with a handle. You raise the front of the steel up when bringing it out of water and put the landing gear down at front of boat with a wheel at bottom. The wheel would ride up on the steel taking the weight off the platoons also.Once winched up you wind it down and raise landing gear. Worked great. This started out by a crazy idea but worked great.Hoping this idea on trailer might work as well. Time will tell Garry

Email   IP Logged
amxdreamer
Site Moderator

Proud member of the
WINNING team Smurf!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #10 - 12/31/11 at 05:31:35

I have heard the 2 - 6 volt setup isn't so good in certain situations. Large slides on RV's draw too much power and cook the 6 volts. would the winch do the same? If I owned a trailer I would add an external power hookup (like and RV) so you can install an invertor for when you plug it in at home (this will charge the battery) or so when you are at the track you can plug in to your generator to run the trailer lights and some plugs without killing the battery or running cords all over.

Tony

2009 Ford F150 SuperdooperCrew
1970 AMX
Email   IP Logged
tached_out
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
Reply #11 - 12/31/11 at 06:13:32

I used to have a car trailer. I drove on and off. I had a winch for emergency use. (never did use it) Where the cable rubbed the deck at the rear of the trailer I had a "V" grooved boat trailer roller mounted to a 6'' square steel plate. It had a hole in each corner with a bolt sticking through each hole and the head welded. On the trailer deck there was four holes for the thing to drop into. As soon as the front wheels got up on the ramp and the cable comes off the roller I could just lift it out and stow it away.

Email   IP Logged
Glenn Quinn
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Conshohocken, PA
Reply #12 - 12/31/11 at 13:12:12

I run Odyssey PC1200 Dry cell batteries in the trailer and the race car. The trailer battery runs the winch and lights. Since I use the same battery for both, if I have an issue at the track with the car or trailer I can swap batteries if needed.

The "X", 8.74 @ 161.54
Email   IP Logged
tached_out
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
Reply #13 - 12/31/11 at 17:46:53

Also the breakaway battery should only be used for the purpose of applying the brakes in an emergency. It should not be used for anything else. Around here It's the law.

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #14 - 12/31/11 at 18:42:11

I kind of like the drop in roller deal but would hate to be cutting holes in the deck to fit it in.
What I was thinking on the sheet metal shield is to have it wide enough to fit between the wheels, could be wider and the wheel roll over it. As for long half the sheet would be on the flat deck and the other half on the dove tail. A 4x8 sheet long ways screwed to the floor would work, 4 feet would be on either side of the floors. I cannot see it wearing the cable out, it will not have weight or pressure at that point that I would be worried.

I would mount the winch to the floor or up about a foot as this would help keep the cable off the floor when winching. Yes use a plate under the floor and better yet if you could weld the plate to the frame would be better and more so if the winch is raised up. This would be hooked to a big 27 group batt to run the winch & lights. Trailers I had with break a way switch ran off this batt too but if the trailer is wired to a small one then I might leave it. How does that small batt keep/recharge? The big batt will be charged be the tow rig just make sure this line is fused. They make a device that keeps the trailer from draining the tow rig batt like if you have a long weekend and the trailer lights are on the whole time. Look at how they do the RV trailers for recharge.

I think you are over thinking this cable on floor thing. BTW I cant tell you how long I have had the cable on my trailer and yes I have used it many times. Last year was the first time I had an issue with it. The cable broke a little bit up from the hook and I caused it. Everything that gets put on the trailer I wrap the hook/cable around the front cross member (as a safety with the straps) and hook the hook back on to the cable……this is a BIG NO NO and is what broke the cable. Reminds me need to replace the cable/hook and get an axle strap.
Dave ----

Could jack up the front of the trailer or raise the rear of tow rig so the cable will not touch the floor.

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print