The AMC Forum - A story for RobbMc (with a happy ending)

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/30/14 at 21:13:47
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A story for RobbMc (with a happy ending) (Read 523 times)
Brootal
Site Moderator

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
A story for RobbMc (with a happy ending)
01/02/12 at 15:55:43

It starts off all good, but ends a little bit sad. Help me RobbMc!

Put some new disc brakes on the car.

None too soon by the look of it.

I had a friend machine down the hubs so that I can fit a Ford wheel on it. Tyres are junk and way too small as they're 185/65, whereas mine are 195/75. Makes about a two inch difference in rolling diameter.

Got it all working and went for a test drive.

Brakes worked great, but there was a strange squeaking sound coming from under the car. It seemed a bit random, didn't match up with the revs or road speed, but I did notice that it only happened when I was accelerating or idling on a hill. Got under it and it sounded like it was coming from around the gearbox or torque converter area.

Nope, it was my fancy gear reduction starter motor. The throwout wishbone(?) for the pinion has broken into three pieces. Great...

« Last Edit: 01/02/12 at 17:58:04 by Brootal »  

Yes, it really is Granddad's old Rambler!

www.the-rumbler.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Brootal
Site Moderator

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Re: A story for RobbMc (Happy Ending!)
Reply #1 - 01/02/12 at 17:57:16

Emailed RobbMc thinking it would be a few days at least before he got back to me, considering it's the New Year.

Just checked my email (almost 2am here) and Robb already got back to me and offered to send out a new throwout fork.

Thanks heaps RobbMc. Smiley

I ended up putting the broken fork back in and installing the starter motor again, in the vain hope I could get the car down off the ramps and back on the ground. No problems, the car still starts, but the noise is a little off putting. Better wait until the new part arrives.

Yes, it really is Granddad's old Rambler!

www.the-rumbler.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print