The AMC Forum - hyd roller/rocker question

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/22/14 at 23:35:32
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hyd roller/rocker question (Read 1463 times)
abdywgn
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Darien, IL
hyd roller/rocker question
01/30/12 at 15:33:49

is it possible to use a hyd.roller cam/lifter set-up with the bridged rockers? this assumes correct length pushrods. Thanks!Bob

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: hyd roller/rocker question
Reply #1 - 01/30/12 at 23:24:02

I donít see why you could not run a roller cam & stock rockers other than the lift limit of the stock rocket.
I also have to ask why would you after all the work to run the roller cam then cheap out on rockers?
I am not into the newer motor put out now days that run roller cams what do they run for rockers?
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
abdywgn
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Darien, IL
Reply #2 - 01/31/12 at 01:41:28

Dave, I think most of the newer engines have a non-adjustable valvetrain.The reason for this question was I did not want to go thru the exspense of re-doing a set of heads with studs and guide plates right away.The cam and lifters would be the most major $$$ spent on the rebuild,everything else would be a "parts store" rebuild.Was looking at the coating on cam and lifters...cam was shown at $125, and I'm thinking this is great!I don't hafta run expensive oil.Cough'gag...lifter coating is $395!!!thinkin' the roller set-up be the way to go.Now back to the limits-what is the lift limited to with the bridge rockers?Also,what kind of valve spring pressure before the start to gall or break?Thanks again!Bob

Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #3 - 01/31/12 at 02:35:00

One of the benefits of a roller cam is not having to worry about the oil not having zinc or other propertys needed for a flat tapit cam. Forget about the coatings and put that money toward the Harland sharp bridged rocker replacement kit and make sure you get the correct length pushrods. BTW, having you're heads machined to accept individual stud mounted rockers isn't a really big deal. I'm sure someone here can tell you exactly how much the stud boses need to be reduced to accomidate the studs and guide plates, then the holes need to be drilled & tapped to 7/16 SAE threads.

Just weigh the difference between the H.S. rocker kit vs machining the heads then buying rockers, studs and guide plates. It's probably cloose to a wash?

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #4 - 01/31/12 at 03:03:11

I first have to say I am far from an expert on this kind of stuff. When you asked the question I was thinking something a little more than stock up to something like the comp cam 280H but in a roller grind. I know the 280H cam (490 lift) will work in a 74 360 w/291c heads and not have coil spring bind, valve to piston hitting or retainer hitting the guides. I dont know about the rockers as I am running crane roller rockers so cant say if the slot would work with the 490 lift?

I see SK posted and I was going to say the same on the coatings, forget it use the money for roller rockers - and yes they make bolt on ones now so no need for machine work. I hear because they inter lock (I&E for each cly) with each other they can use the smaller bolts as it is shared between the 2 of them.
my .02
Dave ----
btw If you could not tell I use the 280H cam in my drag motor and use normal oil with the zinc addative

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
amc49
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Fort Worth, TX
Reply #5 - 07/27/12 at 21:45:51

The original AMC valvetrains were positive stop no adjust. No way would I run those puny bridge retaining bolts on any kind of a roller cam, hydro or otherwise. We used to break them routinely in the '70s.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print