The AMC Forum - Power brakes for my '77 AMX

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
04/20/14 at 11:55:58
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power brakes for my '77 AMX (Read 658 times)
MrEd
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Sewell, NJ
Power brakes for my '77 AMX
02/01/12 at 20:28:59

I took delivery of the AMX yesterday and it is everything the seller said it was. But it has regular brakes and it is difficult to stop when you are used to power brakes. It has discs up front and drums in the back. So is there a car that I can look for in the parts yards to scavenge the power brake booster and master cylinder from? Or can I use the master cylinder and add the booster from another car.

Thanks for any help.

Later!
Mr. Ed

You can learn as much from what isn't said, as you can from what is said.

Madam "X" 1977 AMX, 304 automatic
1979 Spirit GT, 258 4 speed
Email   IP Logged
AMC instigator
Forum Veteran

I've created an AMC
menace- My son is

Cook,MN
Re: Power brakes for my '77 AMX
Reply #1 - 02/02/12 at 00:14:25

In the tires brakes and suspention thread, M Obertanic is looking to convert a power brake car to manual. Maybe you two can swap some parts. SH

Low comp bridge pivot motors go fast too! Lots of 1978-80 AMX's, Nurse Bobbis' race car "Wild Thing", Mr. Happyfaces' "Trouble Maker" & many other AMC's. NAMDRA #2398 AMO#8370 Northstar AMC #09
Email   IP Logged
AMC instigator
Forum Veteran

I've created an AMC
menace- My son is

Cook,MN
Reply #2 - 02/02/12 at 00:23:41

You will need the proportuning valve, the booster and master, the cowl to booster bracket[which is bolted on the booster] and the 4 retaining nuts that fit the bracket, also a vaccuum port for the intake to supply it. Matt will need the manual pushrod from you, and the two little brackets that hold the mastercyl to the cowl. It actually sits against the cowl, but has those two little straps over it, and he will need the nuts from that, as well as your proportuning valve. You both might find you can leave the prop valve in place and try it first, if it is too touchy, then you would need to trade them as well. Hope that helps. By the way good to hear you found an AMX!  SH

Low comp bridge pivot motors go fast too! Lots of 1978-80 AMX's, Nurse Bobbis' race car "Wild Thing", Mr. Happyfaces' "Trouble Maker" & many other AMC's. NAMDRA #2398 AMO#8370 Northstar AMC #09
Email   IP Logged
MrEd
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Sewell, NJ
Reply #3 - 02/02/12 at 15:04:46

Thanks. I'll give him a shout and see if he is still interested.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Email   IP Logged
1750mopar
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Fordsville, KY
Reply #4 - 02/17/12 at 03:24:54

Master cylinder available new from auto zone. Boosters are a problem, no cores! Up to 80 I believe are the same, with one exception. The studs on the booster that holds the master cylinder on, on the later are metric. Bolts inside are still american. Thus allowing for a different part number. Anyway I have everything, worked when I removed. Lines, valve, booster and mc with rod. I would go with a new mc though. On the power disc set-up the lines are on the fender side. Not sure on standard brakes. Basiccally any small bodied car. If you know any part stores who still have the books you can check what all years used that master cylinder. May be able to get the Cardone part number also. Hope this helps.

Email   IP Logged
MrEd
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Sewell, NJ
Reply #5 - 02/17/12 at 15:56:47

Thanks 1750. I have the stuff om the way from one of the members but if that doesn't pan out, I'll let you know.

Thanks
Mr. Ed

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print