The AMC Forum - My 73 AMX (A work in progress)

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
11/23/14 at 03:10:10
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
My 73 AMX (A work in progress) (Read 16658 times)
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Re: My 73 AMX (A work in progress)
Reply #30 - 04/25/12 at 15:04:38

No keeping the spoiler black, but from day one with it being the only black piece on the rear of the car it hasnt sat well with my eye... to me it just kinda makes it look like a bolt on gel coat piece that I havent had painted yet.... undecided Grin

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #31 - 04/25/12 at 16:36:18

Well, painting the taillight panel will def help with that. And if that doesn't fix it all the way, I've seen people split the difference and go body color on the spoiler, but continue the flat black from the taillight panel up just the vertical back surface of the spoiler.  

I like your nose stripe alot! Mostly because it's different. But I have to ask... Do you get more people thinkin its a camero because of it? I havent really had my car out alot yet but I'm sure I'll be told its a mustang in no time... Lol, we probably aren't helping people identify our cars by painting them Ford colors with Chevy and mopar striping patterns! Grin Grin

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #32 - 04/26/12 at 20:33:26

Some more photos....

Here she is after some polishing...

And here with the AMX emblems painted flat black on the quarters.

-Rob

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #33 - 04/29/12 at 04:10:43

Found some pics of poor mans dynamat (foil backed roofing tar from Home Depot) and carpet installation. -Rob

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #34 - 04/29/12 at 11:51:16

Rob,
  Your car looks good. It's nice to see a rebuild with some minor changes to make it unique to you. Like the stripe and the AMX on the quarter. A lot of us are into AMCs because we like to stand out from the crowd. When at an AMC show, it's also nice to stand out from each other. I can't speak for others, but small tasteful changes are appreciated by me at least.

Dave Z

81 Spirit 232 T-10 3.54 model 20
72 Javelin AMX 360 T-10 (son's car)
73 Javelin AMX 401 727 (long term project)
88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #35 - 04/30/12 at 14:37:05

Quote from pipefitter on 04/29/12 at 11:51:16:
Rob,
 Your car looks good. It's nice to see a rebuild with some minor changes to make it unique to you. Like the stripe and the AMX on the quarter. A lot of us are into AMCs because we like to stand out from the crowd. When at an AMC show, it's also nice to stand out from each other. I can't speak for others, but small tasteful changes are appreciated by me at least.

Dave Z

Thanks Dave! You pretty much nailed what I was going for. Small subtle changes that most people wouldn't notice right away. Stuff that the factory 'could have done'.  Pretty much for the same reason too; I wanted to be different even among the other AMC's. It's very validating and encouraging to know someone else likes what I'm doing. That's probably why I started this thread in the first place, I need the encouragement. So thanks again! Smiley -Rob

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #36 - 04/30/12 at 20:56:12

Quote from 69AMX on 04/30/12 at 14:37:05:
Quote from pipefitter on 04/29/12 at 11:51:16:
Rob,

Dave Z

Thanks Dave! You pretty much nailed what I was going for. Small subtle changes that most people wouldn't notice right away. Stuff that the factory 'could have done'.  Pretty much for the same reason too; I wanted to be different even among the other AMC's. It's very validating and encouraging to know someone else likes what I'm doing. That's probably why I started this thread in the first place, I need the encouragement. So thanks again! Smiley -Rob
I think I said that is one of my post of my 70 Javelin street car.
Little changes you would not see at first but you know something is different. Like the T5 in place of a T10, custom gauges made to look like stock even with the AMC & Javelin SST logos or silver carbon fiber in place of the base silver over lay on the dash.
Yep make them look twice  Wink
Nice job
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #37 - 05/04/12 at 05:22:50

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, (for once) I've actually been busy working on my car! Thanks Dave! I agree with you completely, the little things that you don't notice right away are often the funest to discover. I'm planning on some other subtle differences that I'll post pictures of as I complete them. For now here are some more progress photos. -Rob

Pulled apart the window mechanisms, cleaned and greased them and installed the glass (and some trim)...

Used heat, cement, and patches from TAP plastics to fix cracks in door panels...

Beginning to repair the dash too, but it's still a long way off...

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #38 - 05/04/12 at 11:43:19

Quote from 69AMX on 04/25/12 at 16:36:18:
Well, painting the taillight panel will def help with that. And if that doesn't fix it all the way, I've seen people split the difference and go body color on the spoiler, but continue the flat black from the taillight panel up just the vertical back surface of the spoiler.

I like your nose stripe alot! Mostly because it's different. But I have to ask... Do you get more people thinkin its a camero because of it? I havent really had my car out alot yet but I'm sure I'll be told its a mustang in no time... Lol, we probably aren't helping people identify our cars by painting them Ford colors with Chevy and mopar striping patterns! Grin Grin

My car has been mistaken for just about everything..... Cheesy And I am all in with the other guys about making a car YOURS..... In My Opinion, if a car doesnt have its own identity, its just that, another car..... boring..... just my opinion

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #39 - 05/04/12 at 13:01:58

Nice job on the dash. Where did you get the sheet to work with? The cement is it like the plumbers cement for plastic pipe?
I used Plastex, it's a powder and you add a liquid to it to form plastic. For areas of mine that was missing parts I made a form, filled it with the powder then added the liq. I had to do it in layers but came out good.
What is nice if you have a crack you V it out, add powder & liq. till flush. A little sanding and SEM paint and looks like new.
Keep the pictures coming.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #40 - 05/04/12 at 18:44:42

Dave, i took my door panels in to TAP Plastics and they identified the type of plastic and sold me all the repair stuff. I'll let you know what type of cement it is when I get back to the shop. -Rob

For now, here's some more photos....

I found these yesterday. This was the car two or three owners before me...

She was getting kind of dusty, so I pulled her out for a wash awhile back...

Then began ripping into the front suspension. I'm kind of at a stand still on the interior right now and I couldn't stand doing nothing... So I started doing this.

After days of endless pressure washing and bead blasting and priming I have most everything ready for a new coat of gloss black urethane. That will hopefully be applied today if all goes right.

Oh and I cleaned and applied a new coat of 3M undercoating to the fenderwells...

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #41 - 05/05/12 at 03:55:18

Dave, the cement I used is IPS Weld On #16.  It comes in a tube, it's not plumbers cement for PVC pipe. The guys at TAP Plastics recommended it and so far its held pretty good. -Rob

Here are some more photos of what I did today. So much work! Hours of just shooting paint, my arms are killing me! But I finally got it all done. There are still some other pieces that need to go black, but I won't need them till later... I finally get to start reassembly soon! The FUN part! I'm excited... Smiley

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
amxdreamer
Site Moderator

Proud member of the
WINNING team Smurf!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #42 - 05/05/12 at 04:40:47

Looks like you're moving along nicely now! It won't be long and you'll be terrorizing Sacramento!

Tony

2009 Ford F150 SuperdooperCrew
1970 AMX
Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #43 - 05/05/12 at 10:53:35

While chassis components are historically painted low gloss black, I've given up on that myself as I was never satisfied with tha results. It seems like such a chore to get the right percentage of gloss. I've been sand blasting, priming with epoxy primer and top coating with gloss black single stage urethane. Apparently we're both on the same page there.

Dave Z

81 Spirit 232 T-10 3.54 model 20
72 Javelin AMX 360 T-10 (son's car)
73 Javelin AMX 401 727 (long term project)
88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
69AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Grass Valley, CA
Reply #44 - 05/06/12 at 02:02:29

Quote from pipefitter on 05/05/12 at 10:53:35:
While chassis components are historically painted low gloss black, I've given up on that myself as I was never satisfied with tha results. It seems like such a chore to get the right percentage of gloss. I've been sand blasting, priming with epoxy primer and top coating with gloss black single stage urethane. Apparently we're both on the same page there.

Dave Z

Funny you should notice that, we are totally on the same page. I've painted several chassis components with the 'correct' paint, and ended up not happy with it. Besides, the high gloss tends to dull quite a bit with black after you start driving it and it goes through several temperature changes and wash cycles. So eventually it looks about right anyways.  

@Tony: it's getting there... And to be honest, having you guys on here comment about has been very encouraging/motivating. So thanks! And keep it up! Wink -Rob

A&L Automotive
7252 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento CA 95823
(916) 428-5744
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print