The AMC Forum - 2.5 liter 150 ci AMC engine performance mods

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
12/23/14 at 02:17:37
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2.5 liter 150 ci AMC engine performance mods (Read 10053 times)
Class Guy
AMCrazy
High Performance

Too much
imagination, not
enough time.

Toad Suck, AR
Re: 2.5 liter 150 ci AMC engine performance mods
Reply #15 - 03/07/12 at 13:20:50

Does anyone here have experience with both engines - 151 Iron Duke and the 150 AMC?  Which has the most potential for hp/fuel mileage?  I did a little research on the Iron Duke and was not encouraged.  I was thinking it would have an advantage because it uses a flow through head. The turbo possibility interests me greatly.

Email   IP Logged
warbed1
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Edinburg, TX
Reply #16 - 03/08/12 at 03:15:09

I just bought a Jeep with 2 150ci AMC engines. It is a shortened 4.2 with 4.0 cylinder head technology. I.ve been trying to find some performance parts and havent had to much luck. not even a performance cam can be found. So alot of fabrication is in the works. It's going into a 59 Rambler American 2dr SW. and even though I'm using a I4 I would like to get around 200+HP. I've worked on both engines and the AMC is far superior but way harder to easilly modify. But being an AMC guy don't we like the challenge.

Email   IP Logged
Class Guy
AMCrazy
High Performance

Too much
imagination, not
enough time.

Toad Suck, AR
Reply #17 - 03/08/12 at 14:10:47

Quote from warbed1 on 03/08/12 at 03:15:09:
But being an AMC guy don't we like the challenge.

x2 Understatement

Email   IP Logged
old_and_rusty
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/08/12 at 17:16:17

I found this.  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactured-1983-85-2-5-AMC-Jeep-Long-Block-No-9858-/ 280832052591?hash=item4162e50d6f&item=280832052591&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Is this the correct 2.5 engine for this thread?  

DUH! Found farther down in add "generic picture". I'm so embarrassed.  embarrassed

IP Logged
scott
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Wildwood, PA
Reply #19 - 03/08/12 at 21:39:43

Mopar Performance used to offer cams for the 2.5, along with a ported cylinder head. Some cam part #'s to search for: p4529657 p4529658 p4529659 p4529660. These #'s come out of the Mopar Jeep Engines Speed Secrets book from 1990.

Email   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #20 - 03/24/12 at 15:17:26

Yes, MP still has cams. Mostly torque cams, but that's what you want for gas mileage. There are a lot of Iron Duke racing parts, or at least there used to be, but racers used a HD block too, not the stock block. The stock Iron Duke block won't take much abuse. The Jeep engine was designed for truck use and is stronger. You've already got the history correct (4.2 w/two cylinders removed, new head, 4.0L head based on 2.5).  

A 1995 2.5L put out 123 hp @ 5250 rpm and 139 ft/lbs @ 3250. Forget the HP number! You won't be reving the engine way up anyway. Concentrate on improving the torque number for gas mileage AND for more "zippy" feeling. If you torque peak drops to 2500 rpm or so the engine will feel stronger even if the hp number stays the same or drops a little. Gas mileage will go up too. TORQUE is the amount of actual work the engine is doing. The most work at the lowest rpm iwll get gas mileage and make it feel responsive. It might fall flat after 5000 rpm, but you're not running an all-out drag car that needs to produce power way up there. You just need some power to accelerate at a good clip, but once you get up to 65-75 you don't need that much power to maintain speed.  

The only problem I see you having with the 59 American install is the intake. It goes over pretty far on the left side. You can cut that hump above the upper A-arm bolts out, and that will gain you another couple inches up high. I think you're going to have to do that.  

Those cars (50-55 Nash Rambelr, 58-63 Americans) were literally built around the 172.6/184/195/6 L-head engine. Not much room to the sides or fore and aft! The only way to fit in a 4.0L (or 199/232/258) is to ditch the factory heater and recess the engine where the heater used to be. go with a Vintage Air heat/cool unit and you'd be fine (or not heat/cool for just a fun car). There are a couple engines that fit okay, but the only one that is relatively inexpensive is the Ford Ranger 2.3/2.5 with EFI. The one with the intake that curves over the valve cover (late 90s/early 00s). That will just clear with no cutting. Height isn't a problem in that body. That engine might be too tall for a 64+ American.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
warbed1
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Edinburg, TX
Reply #21 - 03/25/12 at 13:33:01

Got to keep it AMC. Ford no way. Nothing against Ford I work for them. On the intake it will be dual webers so clearance wont be a problem.

Email   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #22 - 04/03/12 at 21:41:21

That will be nice! Webers do stick out the side a lot though. I doubt they will clear in the small Americans. You can turn them up 90 degrees, or maybe just 45 degrees will do. There is plenty top side clearance in the old ones!  

I was looking for an AMC 2.5L when a Ford turbo 2.3L with a five speed fell into my lap at a price I couldn't resist. I might put it in a 63 (small body) or 65 (easier fit!) American two door... if I ever get my J-10 finished! Just started working on it good...

Frank Swygert
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
warbed1
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Edinburg, TX
Reply #23 - 04/04/12 at 13:59:08

Just got the 2.5 back from the machine shop. .020 overbored .010/.010 on the crank and resurfaced the head all went well.  Does anyone know why Kieth Black makes only cast pistons for the 83-95 2.5 engine but in 96-04 the make forged and hyperu pistons.  My engine is the 95 model but I don't see any reason I cant go with the 96 and up pistons.

Email   IP Logged
imacarfan2
Forum Veteran
High Performance

Everything is for
sale for the right
price...

West Newbury, MA
Reply #24 - 04/04/12 at 22:06:17

You know, it's funny. I just found this thread and also just happened to pick up a 2.5L AMC 4 cylinder someone was selling cheap. I was thinking of doing the exact same swap, actually. I saw someone selling a 59 American two door coupe and swapping in an AMC 2.5L popped into my head, maybe even with a turbo. What a coinkidink!

The 2.5 is supposed to be here tomorrow morning. I don't have anything to put it in yet, but am concidering an early American or maybe even some type of rod. Something light to get the most bang for the 2.5L buck.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that some of us are thinking along the same lines, so keep us posted!

Email   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #25 - 05/30/12 at 15:56:28

There was a change in the piston design for 1996, but as far as I know you can use the 96 pistons in the earlier block. The 96 pistons are the same as the 96+ 4.0L pistons. The skirts were coated on the factory pistons to reduce wear, not sure if the KB pistons are or not. You might want to call someone at KB and see what the differences are in the pistons. 96+ may have a bigger (or smaller) dish to change compression.  

The 58-63 Americans are REALLY tight in the engine bay, only about 24" to work with between the springs towers. You can cut the humped section out and gain anouther 2" on each side about where the carbs would be, but that might not be enough. The stock Jeep 2.5L intake sticks out too far and won't fit even with the hump removed on the left side. If you make your sidedraft Weber intake you might be able to angle the carbs up or make the tubes real short. Hmmm... will a side draft Weber run right at an angle, as in tilted up 30-45 degrees from the head? I don't think so as it still uses floats and a float bowl.

Frank Swygert
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #26 - 06/06/12 at 14:39:27

For those interested in a faster 2.5L try reading this thread on Jeep Talk:
http://jeeptalk.net/index.php?showtopic=22333

Frank Swygert
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
warbed1
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Edinburg, TX
Reply #27 - 06/06/12 at 16:15:02

Got my 2.5 assembles and now looking for a 700r4 60Deg trans to install.  The facory intake should have no clearance concerns and if nead be I could allways offset the engine by an inch or two. Most vehicles engines are offset by 1 to 4 inches to the passanger side  expecially Chryslers. It's mainly to make room for stearing shaft  and ballance.  My engine is a 85 cherokee unit but am using the 86 hyper pistons from Summit. they work fine and piston to top of bore is .006 same as factory. Rv type cam. machined head and performed my own valve job and porting. I do want to replace the distributor with a HEI but no one seams to make one. I know the chevy Is fits the Jeep 4.0 with a geer change any sush animal for the 2.5?.  Hopefully get the drivetrain in by July.

Email   IP Logged
ChevelleSSLS6
AMCrazy

Jeepin it XJ style

Middleville, MI
Reply #28 - 06/21/12 at 02:39:27

I believe the AMC 4 cyl has a shorter stroke than the 4.0/4.2/258 inline six, but otherwise, yea, the little four is based off the six.  They offer turbo kits if you're into that kind of thing.  

http://www.505performance.com/NEW____2.html

1996 Jeep XJ- 3.5" lift and 31" tires
1974 Javelin 360 4sp- underfunded project car
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900- summer dd

FOR SALE: AMC 360ci shortblock, AMC 360ci longblock
Email   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #29 - 06/21/12 at 11:40:12

Offset the engine... That engine bay is narrowest down at the bottom. You might be able to offset the engine and inch, but I'd be surprised if you can go any further. The oil filter is on the right side, the way you would need to go, so you might have to use a remote filter just to get an inch. You'll see once you start to put the engine in. I'd be interested in photos of that operation, even if the engine doesn't fit just right. I can probably help a bit with suggestions -- I have a 62 American in back with the engine out.

Frank Swygert
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print