The AMC Forum - 390ci in France

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/30/14 at 15:09:27
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
390ci in France (Read 10837 times)
mramc
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pahrump, NV
Re: 390ci in France
Reply #45 - 07/20/12 at 22:46:27

As I said I got back the shell less drive train , except for the rear end, a ford nine inch, missing every thing under the hood , the side pipes and and a good bit of trim.
(The concrete block threw the front windshield was a not so nice touche.)  I have begun the search for replacement parts, but I used half the insurance settlement to finish paying off the build. The cars here are old enough that you do not get many problems changing things around, as the cars here will generally not be used as daily drivers. Also we have the parts more readily available. The GM four speed 700R4 conversion is becoming very common here. I replaced the Borg Warner M-12 with a latter AMC version of a Mopar 727 automatic as that has been a common conversion also over here. As I trashed several Borg Warners and I got tried of fixing them. Even the AMC factory recommended replacing the M-12 with the 727s for any performance uses. The insurance estimate on my engine alone was about $13,000 , but $3,000 of that is the Edelbrock fuel injection system. The rest was machine work, forged pistons, dual roller timing chain, and new main caps with an align bore for the crank shaft. None of it cheap . All of it done right. Yes, I know what it costs, so I'm doing a cheaper car , a 1964 American convertible that should cost me less to do then the the replacement 401 V-8 I got for the 69 AMX to do. Than as I gather the needed parts I'll do the 69 AMX again in another couple years.  LRDaum

Email WWW mramc mramc none none none   IP Logged
Jimbzh
AMCer

1968 AMX

Angers, FRANCE
Reply #46 - 07/21/12 at 07:29:07

So sad! undecided cry

AMC PACER DL 1977
AMC AMX 390 Go Pack 1968
Email   IP Logged
BrunoBZH
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pontivy, Bretagne, FRANCE
Reply #47 - 08/01/12 at 18:51:57

well .... I finaly chose an Edelbrock cam #2132

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2132

and a timing set.

We are a bit vexed by the piston rings assembly : the expander seems to be too long.

I read some people bend ro cut the endtabs ...

http://www.circletrack.com/howto/4639_maximum_power_piston_rings/index.html

But Doug @ americanpartsdepot told me "don't modifying anything"  Huh

Is anybody already had this kind of problem?

Email   IP Logged
amxdreamer
Site Moderator

Proud member of the
WINNING team Smurf!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #48 - 08/04/12 at 23:10:48

MrAMC, I had forgotten about your car getting stolen, it must have been horrible to see it gone! I couldn't imagine anything happening to my car.

Tony

2009 Ford F150 SuperdooperCrew
1970 AMX
Email   IP Logged
BrunoBZH
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Reply #49 - 08/27/12 at 22:31:42

Here is some news:

I took back all the parts and began the reassembly.

I changed the cam bearings:

the camshat turns "free"....

Then I assembled the crank and main bearings.... and rear seal also.  

And finaly piston rings and piston inside the cylinder with no major problems.

The only thing is I read two different torque for the connecting rod on "68 AM Technical Service Manual":

"connecting rod caps torque..... 26-30 Ft. Lbs" and "connecting rod bolt nuts 35-40 Ft.Lbs" Huh undecided

Bolts are 3/8"    24 Threads per inch.  

Maybe I didn't understand something????

« Last Edit: 08/28/12 at 08:39:10 by BrunoBZH »  
Email   IP Logged
mramc
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pahrump, NV
Reply #50 - 08/28/12 at 23:00:33

Ok, Straight out of the 1969 AMC Factory service manual. Connecting rod bolt nuts 26 to 30 Foot pounds of torque. BUT EXCEPT 390 C.I.D. 35 to 40 foot pounds of torque. The 290 & 343 V-8s have cast iron cranks and rods. The 390s have forged cranks and rods, and mostly likely a next size up rod bolt too. LRDaum

PS be sure and use some good cam lube grease when you do the final camshaft install. It's also nice if you pre-oil the engine with a pre-oiling shaft on a good drill also. The AMC used the same pre-oiler as a small block Chevy. LRD

BrunoBZH
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Reply #51 - 08/29/12 at 13:15:38

Quote from mramc on 08/28/12 at 23:00:33:
Ok, Straight out of the 1969 AMC Factory service manual. Connecting rod bolt nuts 26 to 30 Foot pounds of torque. BUT EXCEPT 390 C.I.D. 35 to 40 foot pounds of torque. The 290 & 343 V-8s have cast iron cranks and rods. The 390s have forged cranks and rods, and mostly likely a next size up rod bolt too. LRDaum

Ok.... well noted  Wink   thanks.

Quote from mramc on 08/28/12 at 23:00:33:

PS be sure and use some good cam lube grease when you do the final camshaft install. It's also nice if you pre-oil the engine with a pre-oiling shaft on a good drill also. The AMC used the same pre-oiler as a small block Chevy. LRD

In fact, I receive an assembly lub (thick red gease) with the Edelbrock kit.

I also plan to replace the timing cover (oil gear housing is scratched...) with "Bulltear" "HRC oil pump gears" (sorry bulltear website does work anymore at the moment??? Huh)
What do you think?

Email   IP Logged
mramc
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pahrump, NV
Reply #52 - 08/30/12 at 23:19:37

Yes, I used all the Bull Tear parts , timing cover, HRC gears , oil filter mount, and they were all nickel plated too. I should see Matt C. AKA Mr Bull Tear at the AMC Nationals in Cordova Illinois raceway in about 10 days and I'll find out why there web site is down. LRDaum

Here's what my finished engine looked like. LRD

Jimbzh
AMCer

1968 AMX

Angers, FRANCE
Reply #53 - 07/20/13 at 08:30:34

Hello,
Here are some news of the engine. Painting is done (impossible to find caravelle blue in France so itīs a close mixx) and we soon be able to put it back in car.

We cleaned one piston and yes, there are AM lettres under.  

Pictures soon  Wink

AMC PACER DL 1977
AMC AMX 390 Go Pack 1968
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print