The AMC Forum - Disc brakes on original rear end of 70 AMX

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
11/25/14 at 01:28:43
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disc brakes on original rear end of 70 AMX (Read 2012 times)
AMX
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Keswick,Ontario
Disc brakes on original rear end of 70 AMX
03/29/12 at 12:24:51

I've been contemplating on putting on disc brakes on the original rear end of my 70 AMX. Several questions: I have heard that it can be done with Ford Explorer rear end disc package and if so what year of the Ford Explorer and once this is done won't the caliper be in the way of the stock rally rims.
If the calipers do get in the way are there any other stock rally rims (say for example 15" instead of 14") that would work without modifying the wheel wells or going to after market wheels.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG with A/C
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: Disc brakes on original rear end of 70 AMX
Reply #1 - 03/29/12 at 12:47:00

That is the first I have heard of using the Explorer setup on the stock rear. Most swap out the stock for the ford unit that already has them on it.
I cant remember if on here or the other site but some one has used junk yard parts from different makes/models to make a rear setup.
Or you can go Wilwood as they make a kit for the front & rear but may need to run 15" wheels.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
tufcj
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Watkins, CO
Reply #2 - 03/29/12 at 14:54:25

www.tsmmfg.com makes a rear disc kit.  Explorers used a disc brake 8.8 from 95-01.  These are a "drum & hat" type, meaning that they have a drum type e-brake, and a separate caliper for braking.  First I've heard of using the parts on an AMC20.

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Email   IP Logged
AMX
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Keswick,Ontario
Reply #3 - 03/29/12 at 20:47:41

Thanks fuzzface2 and tufcj, the info you have provided really helps out alot!
Mike

« Last Edit: 03/29/12 at 23:06:45 by AMX »  

1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG with A/C
Email   IP Logged
mramc
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pahrump, NV
Reply #4 - 03/30/12 at 23:22:32

Wilwood has a kit out for the rear of an AMC Dana 20 now. I think Aerospace makes one too. Mike Luke here on the forum is the main distributor forAerospace for AMCs. LRDaum

Email WWW mramc mramc none none none   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #5 - 04/03/12 at 21:46:43

To roll your own get weld-on (or bolt-on... I think the AMC 20 end matches the old small bearing Ford 9" pattern, but may be wrong...) caliper brackets from Speedway (www.speedwaymotors.com). You can then use a Ford Crown Vic rear or early 90s Jeep XJ 4x4 front rotor. The bolt-on may only work with the Crown Vic rotor. If it's for racing or you have an auto trans you can use standard front GM calipers. If you need a park brake you'll need GM rear calipers with park brake built in. Just one warning about those -- you must use the park brake occasionally. There is an auto adjusting stud for the park brake. If you don't use the park brake every few hundred miles it eventually gets out of adjustment and won't hold. You can find the PB calipers on the back of many Cadillace in the pull-a-part yards relatively cheap.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
lyles_amc
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

tiverton ontario
Reply #6 - 04/04/12 at 11:37:04

I have made 2 Explorer/AMC rear ends.  First it does take some work - you pull the long tube from the Explorer "pumkin" and cut/re-insert to fit the short axle from another doner and repossition the spring plates, also welded the tubes to pumpin.
This centers the pumkin like the AMC20, you get the choice of many 8.8 gears, much cheaper possies, 31 spline 1.3" axles, 56.25" axle face to face compared to AMC20 56" (neglegable), and you can bolt on disks from 2001 to 2005 or drums 1995 to 2000 (you should recheck the years but they are interchangable). I removed the crush sleave and made a solid spacer on my 3.73.  
Beyond the work - cheaper in Canada then trying to upgrade an AMC20 and should be good for 800 hp from everything I have read - though I dont plan to us it.
So if anyone is interested I will be selling the 4.10 posi and have good backing plates for drums and resonable backing plates for disks.  New wheel berings/seals, runnout within 0.001" and backlash set at 0.008", allignment within 0.5 degrees, never removed the pinion/seal or crush sleave.
The only reason I ended up with two is because the wrecker sent one with a bad axle and told me to keep it and just sent a complete new one - couldn't see wasting all that metal so just made two.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print