The AMC Forum - 390 rebuild - on stand - no oil pressure

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
09/01/14 at 13:41:06
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
390 rebuild - on stand - no oil pressure (Read 4267 times)
brucelindholm
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pierre, SD
390 rebuild - on stand - no oil pressure
03/31/12 at 21:01:51

Hi guys -  

I am rebuilding my 1970 390 - new pistons, cam, new bulltear cover, new dist gears, etc etc.  I put oil and filter on to day to prelube    it before installation.  I pit in my trusty prelube tool (old distributor) and spun it (clockwise) with a drill.  the drill didn't "pull down" and the oil didnt come out the pushrods.  Thinking I got a wrong filter, I put a different one on - no change.  I took the filter off and turned my pre lube tool and shot oil across the shop... I took off the pressure relief spring and the "valve" end came right out.  I took out the oil pressure sending unit on the front of the engine - while turning the oil pump it does not build enough pressure to push against your finger - although without a finger over the hole oil will flow out.  I used a new oil pickup and thread sealant where it screws into the block (just a little).  I have a stock oil pan.  I welded a small spacer on the pump screen housing to maintain some distance from the oil pan - so the pan doesnt suck up the oil pan.

I also disassembled the oil pump gear housing looks fine - but just for grin I removed the "wear plate" I got from bull tear.  No change.  I got the gears with the little "cuts" on them - if fell out of course and now I cant remember which way the cuts go - not that big a deal but if anyone knows I would appreciate it.

The bigger problem is the oil pressure issue.  My cam bearings were real tight - not sure if that matters.  HELP!  

Thanks

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
SC397
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Blissfield, MI
Re: 390 rebuild - on stand - no oil pressure
Reply #1 - 03/31/12 at 21:27:23

Did you pack the oil pump cavity full of petroleum jelly before trying to prime the pump?

Email   IP Logged
old_and_rusty
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/12 at 21:32:30

Check the timing cover gasket to make sure ALL the holes are punched out. Some after market vendors aren't checking their products enough. You might try packing the oil pump cavity with Vaseline.

IP Logged
brucelindholm
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pierre, SD
Reply #3 - 03/31/12 at 21:57:51

I packed it with assembly lube - I've done three or four that way and they came up to pressure right away - sounds like I get to take the T/C cover off.  Fun fun.  The only silver lining is that I have discovered it now...

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
old_and_rusty
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/12 at 22:08:09

Yea, 'dem AMC engines are kinda' finiky, needin' oil and all that. LOL

IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #5 - 03/31/12 at 22:30:20

I had the timing cover gasket clocking the oil passage on mine, the passage was punched in the gasket but the little piece had ont been removed:

http://www.australianjavelins.com/
Email WWW   IP Logged
amxlonnie
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Pumpkintown, SC
Reply #6 - 04/01/12 at 04:49:30

Make sure the pressure releif valve is installed correctly. the "pin" end goes in first and the spring goes in the hole. make sure it goes all the way in !

Email   IP Logged
brucelindholm
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pierre, SD
Re: update 390 rebuild - on stand - oil pressure
Reply #7 - 04/01/12 at 20:04:09

ok update - I took the timing chain cover off - the gasket had all the appropriate holes.  I made sure the pressure relief spring was in the cup.  I poured oil in the inlet side of the pump cavity turned it by had and watched the oil come out the outlet side of the pump.

I put the tc cover back on, pulled the rear oil galley plug, spun the pump and oil flowed out - not with pressure though.

I took off the intake and spun the oil pump... hmmmm - oil flowing from the t/c side through the drain holes into the valley of the block.  

I unhooked the valley oil line, spun the pump and both the front and back fittings (the now unconnected ones in the block) flowed oil.

Still no oil to the rockers

I took off a rocker and pushrod so I could see if oil is coming through the lifter.  I spun the pump and a small amount of oil filled in the pushrod seat of the lifter.  

So - I still dont know.  I think the oil "backflowing" through the tc cover is a hint, but I cant figure out what it is trying to tell me.. Please help if you can - thanks

Bruce

Email   IP Logged
RayAMX
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Johnsburg, IL
Reply #8 - 04/01/12 at 22:42:41

Check and make sure the front lifter gallery plugs are in( behind the cam gear). I forgot mine once and it did the same thing, I was in to much of a rush and fogot those. All the oil is going in the timming cover and then comming back through the the front valley holes.

1969 AMX 401 4spd
1973 Javelin
Email   IP Logged
brucelindholm
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pierre, SD
Reply #9 - 04/01/12 at 23:47:13

yeah - I checked and the front galeey plugs are in..  I was hoping I had forgotten them. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
WestOzJavelinMan
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #10 - 04/01/12 at 23:52:10

Check the galley plugs are not in too far, I believe they can actually block the oil passage.  

Maybe sucking air somewhere on the suction side.

http://www.australianjavelins.com/
Email WWW   IP Logged
ssAMX3002
AMCrazy
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Ravenswood, WV
Reply #11 - 04/02/12 at 00:22:32

Are you running a roller cam? If you are then what roller lifters are you using?

Email   IP Logged
Rebel Machine
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Quincy, IL
Reply #12 - 04/02/12 at 00:55:12

Sounds like a clearance issue of some kind since there's no pressure and all the galley plugs are installed... too much clearance somewhere. Didn't forget a bearing anywhere did you.....?

Look to see if the oil pickup is sitting against the bottom of the pan.

If you're using roller lifters it could be an issue with that like ssAMX3002 said.

-Steve-

Practice recycling.... restore an AMC!
Email   IP Logged
SKeown
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Silsbee, TX
Reply #13 - 04/02/12 at 01:34:13

You need to run the pump for quiet a bit of time before oil will begin to show at the rockers.

SKeown

Email   IP Logged
brucelindholm
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Pierre, SD
Reply #14 - 04/02/12 at 01:59:09

Flat tappet cam, comp pro magnum lifters.  I did not pull the front galley plugs but will do tomorrow - since the front valley line goes into where the front galley plugs are - I dont think that's it, but it is an easy check.  I was thinking pressure loss too, but don't know why the oil would flow back from the tc cover through the block drains at the top of the valley.  

I know some times it takes a while, but not this longs, plus the pressure never built up against the drill motor.

Im sure I pit the main bearing in  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print