The AMC Forum - six bellhousings the same as the eight?

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/31/14 at 14:52:02
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
six bellhousings the same as the eight? (Read 724 times)
Scotty
AMCrazy

A man in black on a
snow white horse.

Newark, NY
six bellhousings the same as the eight?
04/22/12 at 04:22:56

Hello all

I have a '73 Gremmie with the 232 and the torque command tranny, I plan on swapping a V8 in at some point and was wondering if the tranny behind the 232 would bolt up to the 360 block, or if a new bellhousing was needed to mate the trans to the engine.

Also, I plan on puttin in a T10 trans. after the engine swap, and was wondering if there's anyplace to get a kit for the pedals, clutch linkage ect, or does all that have to be sourced out separately?

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." -- Francis Bacon
Email   IP Logged
AussieJav
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Adelaide, South Australia
Re: six bellhousings the same as the eight?
Reply #1 - 04/22/12 at 10:30:57

Yep should be the same, i have a 6cyl 904 behind my 343.

'68 Javelin 343, 904, 4.10 M20

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #2 - 04/22/12 at 16:22:20

Quote from Scotty on 04/22/12 at 04:22:56:
Hello all

I have a '73 Gremmie with the 232 and the torque command tranny, I plan on swapping a V8 in at some point and was wondering if the tranny behind the 232 would bolt up to the 360 block, or if a new bellhousing was needed to mate the trans to the engine.

Also, I plan on puttin in a T10 trans. after the engine swap, and was wondering if there's anyplace to get a kit for the pedals, clutch linkage ect, or does all that have to be sourced out separately?
Yes the 232 trany will bolt up to the 360 just dont know how long it will last if you start getting on it all the time. Same goes for that AMC model 15 rear.

I do not know of any vender that sells pedal assy. for our cars so that would be a "want" post might also ask for the whole setup.
You can also try http://amxmgs.com as I know the sell Javelin clutch linkage assy. just dont know if they sell Gremlin parts? Might give them a call to see.

You know to drop in a v8 you will need to get a v8 cross member or go with Bulltear v8 convert mounts.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #3 - 05/16/12 at 00:26:41

Unless you're running slicks or really wide sticky tires the AMC 15 will hold up -- as long as you retorque the axle nuts to 250-300 ft/lbs before you start running it much. Loosen the nut then tighten back to 250-300 ft lbs (factory spec is 250, 300 won't hurt, but I wouldn't go over 300).  The AMC 15 gets a bum rap! It's not a drag racing rear axle by any means, but will stand up very well behind a mild street engine if running street tires.  

The 904 is a different story. At the least get a towing/RV shift kit and install that. It will firm up the shifts and allow less slipping, which will help the trans a lot. Also get a good external cooler. Run the cooling line from the trans to the radiator cooler, then put the external cooler in the return line -- from radiator to cooler then back to trans. Get a medium or large cooler, not the small one. Heat will kill a trans before almost anything else (except plain abuse), and more power in front of it = more heat produced. The shift kit will help reduce heat also as clutches won't slip as much.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print