The AMC Forum - Ford 8.8 Rear End / T5 / Jeep 4.0 in 67 American

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/30/14 at 13:39:52
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ford 8.8 Rear End / T5 / Jeep 4.0 in 67 American (Read 1224 times)
MikeJames
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Marion, Iowa
Ford 8.8 Rear End / T5 / Jeep 4.0 in 67 American
04/22/12 at 17:25:02

Ok, I think I'm FINALLY done moving and can now put in some serious time on my 67 American project again.  I have a few questions...........

I'll start with the easier one.  

I am looking at putting in a Jeep 4.0 in my American.  It had a 199 / 3 speed.  My question is what is the best year/style T5 I need to purchase for it?  (In other words, I'm gonna be junk yarding and wanna know what to look for)  Also, will a jeep T-5 bell-housing work just fine for when I use the T-5 on a 4.0?  Any suggestions on other parts I may need to make this work is also appreciated.

Next question.....

I've done TONS of research........and I know that the Ford 8.8 out of a 90-92 Ranger is the correct width (only 1/2 inch longer than the American rear end total) but I can not find, for the life of me if the center of the pumpkin is correct.  What I mean by this is that it looks centered, but the yoke? (where the u-joint attaches) is offset.   Is this true?  If so, how will it affect the driveline?

Thanks for your help!  I really appreciate it as I'm getting excited again about working on the Rambler and my wife is finally encouraging it and giving some money instead of fighting me over it.  lol

Thanks!
Mike

Be American! Drive an AMC!
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: Ford 8.8 Rear End / T5 / Jeep 4.0 in 67 Americ
Reply #1 - 04/22/12 at 23:22:45

Did you check out the "For Sale" there is an 88 4.0/T5 p/u 2x4 you could drop it right in and go.
Yes the Jeep T5 bell will work with the ford T5 if that is what you are asking.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #2 - 04/27/12 at 16:13:44

The angle of the driveshaft won't affect a thing -- works just fine. The matching angle at the trans cancels any vibration out.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
lyles_amc
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

tiverton ontario
Reply #3 - 05/03/12 at 10:56:02

The best Ford T5 to bolt to that bell is from a 1993 V8 Mustang; see link http: //www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm .  
You can also get any World Class T5 and beaf it up with nickle gears, and other after market parts to get higher torque.
Happy hunting  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print