The AMC Forum - 69 AMX - Cooling

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
10/31/14 at 13:26:55
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
69 AMX - Cooling (Read 1880 times)
javsst
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Lebanon, NJ
69 AMX - Cooling
08/09/12 at 18:45:18

I'm beginning to think the 69 AMX has it in for me Smiley

Case in point:

Decided after installing the Milodon water pump and new alternator along with a Bulltear water
pump pulley, I also padded the area around the fan shround with the twin Spaals to seal it
up.  Everything tested out ok.

Take the car out last night to go to a local car cruise, not even a mile down the road, it hit 230
degrees on the temp gauge!  Turned right around and found a spot to pull over.

One Spaal had a loose connector, which explained that, the other was dead.  I reconnected the
one working fan and then sat around in a Lowes parking lot until it cooled down to about 190 degrees.

Got back to the garage and metered out the other Spaal.  Half a volt from the relay.  Great, bad relay.

I thinking that I may just chuck the fan shroud with the twin Spaals, mount up the 7 bladed factory
fan and get a plastic factory shroud from a 71+ Javelin/AMX.  At least I'll know I have a functional
fan short of losing the blades!  At this point, I'm not worried about racing the car at the track and being
able to cool down after runs.  

If this works out, I'll pick up a 16inch fan and mount it to the front of the radiator for cool down, plus
added cooling while driving around town.

Sound like a plan?  Smiley

Steve

1969 AMX BBO 360/TF727 AMC20 4.10 Gears
1970 Javelin SST BSO 360/BW T10 AMC20 3.54 Gears
Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Re: 69 AMX - Cooling
Reply #1 - 08/10/12 at 00:23:58

I am not a fan Wink of 100% elect. fans. As you found out 1 point of failure and it's all over.
I would do the stock fan (7 blade?) with a shroud, make sure the fan sits right in the shroud, and if need be the elect. as a helper to cool down after a pass.  
BTW if you are not running the pump with the elect. fan all you would be doing is cooling off the water in the radiator. Cool water hitting hot block / heads may cause a crack. I know of 1 racer that uses a elect. water pump motor to drive the stock pump with the stock fan to cool down after passes.
My darg car uses all the factory cooling parts, no shroud, and never had issies with cooling but then it is a junk yard 360.

FYI my 02 Dodge Durango runs a motor driven fan and a elect. helper fan from the factory. The elect one runs when the A/C is on and I can tell you with out it in stopped traffic (like high way rush hour stopped) the truck will over heat. In my case it turned out to be the HVAC control module. Think it would get hot and shut off the fan but it would only show when in traffic like going to L.I. NY or Brooklyn / S.I. NY from CT.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
javsst
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Lebanon, NJ
Reply #2 - 08/10/12 at 15:07:49

Dave -

Sometimes factory works best Smiley

I'm trying to squeeze as much hp out of the 360, so I did whatever I could to eliminate drag on the engine, but
since the car is mainly driven on the street,  I think keeping it more street than strip is a real good idea!

Thanks!

Steve

Email   IP Logged
bbo_X
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Roseville, CA
Reply #3 - 08/10/12 at 21:38:18

Where is your temp sending unit located?

Email   IP Logged
javsst
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Lebanon, NJ
Reply #4 - 08/11/12 at 01:15:03

Stock location. Top front of the manifold.

Thanks!  

Steve

Email   IP Logged
71SST
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Thunder Bay, ON
Reply #5 - 08/11/12 at 01:39:36

Do they make a thermostatically controlled fan that will fit an AMC with a shroud?

Email   IP Logged
71SST
AMCer

American Motors
Corporation

Thunder Bay, ON
Reply #6 - 08/11/12 at 02:43:13

Answered my own question.Found one at Summit Racing,Flex-a-lite 5555 fan clutch with fan together $88.00.

Email   IP Logged
pipefitter
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Adams, MA
Reply #7 - 08/11/12 at 11:53:48

Quote from javsst on 08/10/12 at 15:07:49:
Dave -

Sometimes factory works best Smiley

I'm trying to squeeze as much hp out of the 360, so I did whatever I could to eliminate drag on the engine, but
since the car is mainly driven on the street,  I think keeping it more street than strip is a real good idea!

Thanks!

Steve

Steve,
  My thinking is since the electric fan gets its power from the alternator, you're still using engine power to drive the fan. Electric fans showed up on cars with transverse mounted engines, so a crankshaft driven fan wasn't possible. For modified cars, the electric fans simplify motor and radiator swaps. My fan of choise is a mechanical fan with a clutch, simple and proven. It helps to reduce power loss as well. I never thought of the saftey gained with an electric fan by not over reving a mechanical fan, certainly worth consideration.

Dave Z

81 Spirit 232 T-10 3.54 model 20
72 Javelin AMX 360 T-10 (son's car)
73 Javelin AMX 401 727 (long term project)
88 Jeep J-10 360 727
73 Ambassador 2 door
Email   IP Logged
firecapt321
Forum Veteran
High Performance

The Ken Killer

Savannah, GA
Reply #8 - 08/11/12 at 12:42:53

I am used to being the minority, I run dual electrics with thermostatic control and never looked back.... you couldnt pay me to run a mechanical.... had a buddy who lost a blade and took out his hood, had a clutch fan blade out of whack and took out my radiator, then ask Ralfy how much of my blood is still on his engine block from some last minute fast repairs we made at Gad.... the flex fans are like razor blades....... also have had the pleasure of running a call and getting to unwrap a girls hair and part of her scalp from the fan clutch assembly......No sir..... u will never see one under my hood again..... and my car withstands the savannah summers.... has never seen over 205 degrees sittin n traffic down here.... and I dont even run a shroud....  

12.9 @ 111mph
Street Tires, Stock Stall Mopar Converter, 3.15's, Foot Lock System and Auto Zone's Finest Shocks, Crossing the line at 4000 rpm's..... lmao
Email   IP Logged
javsst
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Lebanon, NJ
Reply #9 - 08/11/12 at 14:38:58

Guess I've just been lucky with the factory 7-bladed fans.  I have one on the Javelin, it came with the heavy duty cooling.
Never had a problem with it in all the years I've had the car.  The 69 AMX also had one when I bought it.

Though I have heard stories about the aftermarket fans coming apart....

Steve

Email   IP Logged
FuzzFace2
Forum Veteran

So many parts to
buy, so little money
to buy them!

Stamford, CT
Reply #10 - 08/12/12 at 02:43:52

In my 52 years I have seen more clutch / pressure plates come apart racing than fans.
As for getting hair stuck in a fan/belt assy what the he!! was that person doing to get it that close and why was the hair not tied back.
When in school if you had long hair you had to wear a net when in the shop. It started when a guy got his hair cought around a drive shaft.
If you are not carefull with anything you can get hurt.
Dave ----

75 GremlinX v8 64k 4sale
76 GremlinX i6 (sons)
70 Javelin street car 390/4sp (360/T5 now)
70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto
Email Old Fuzz Face2   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Bret Kepner Photo
Barry Allen Engine
BIG Headers

Oreana, IL
Reply #11 - 08/12/12 at 05:54:15

I've had 1 factory fan lose a blade..luckily it went south instead of north....

80 AMX 2950# Iron Head 420 N/A Jerico 4-speed street legal

1.277 60ft. 5.95 116.38
9's at 145.11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvmmXXoxAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQprfva4Tg
Email WWW   IP Logged
Brootal
Site Moderator

American Motors
Corporation

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #12 - 08/13/12 at 09:09:54

I've been running twin thermos off a Ford Mondeo of all things. Pretty much a spot on fit for my radiator (which is a GM unit) and it's been working a treat, although it has been winter down here. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the a/c in summer time, but at the moment it's great.

One thing I have noticed, is that the temps will creep up when the fans are turned off even at highway speeds. I don't think they turn very easily and create a bit of an aero block, then they kick in and the temps drop down. I've only noticed because I had a bad connection at the fuse box which caused one fan to stop and I noticed the temps go up more than normal on the freeway.

Yes, it really is Granddad's old Rambler!

www.the-rumbler.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Frank Swygert
Forum Junkie

American Motors Cars
Magazine

Batesburg-Leesville, SC
Reply #13 - 08/19/12 at 16:20:57

firecapt -- that's an unusual fan arrangement, one on back in pull configuration and one on front in pusher mode, but looks good! Can get more fan on the radiator that way... good idea! The pusher isn't as efficient, but between the two you have to have a bit more surface coverage than two smaller fans that will fit side by side.  

I wouldn't run a pusher fan in front of a mechanical fan. The pusher fan is going to hinder air flow through the radiator a bit. I suppose it won't matter as long as temp stays down though.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars
www.amc-mag.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print