The AMC Forum - 70 Hornet "SC401" Build

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
04/21/18 at 02:07:04
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
70 Hornet "SC401" Build (Read 63532 times)
amxdreamer
Site Moderator

Proud member of the
WINNING team Smurf!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Re: 70 Hornet "SC401" Build
Reply #195 - 07/21/16 at 05:09:00

it's 2200 miles one way for me!!!!  Grin Grin Grin

Tony

2009 Ford F150 SuperdooperCrew
1970 AMX
Email   IP Logged
KyleCim
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Swansea, MA
Reply #196 - 08/27/16 at 10:49:46

Missed my mid season update, have not done anything besides 10.50 index races and the past 2 the car slowed down. Found the waste of time Lokar pedal and cable setup stretched and wouldn't go WOT again. Said crappity smack it and went with a new fully adjustable pedal assembly from Afco and mechanical linkage. I do plan to add a beefier return spring this is just what I had for now.  

ET is still a best of 10.37, plan to work on the suspension a bit and I worked with Steve at Induction Solutions and we have a sledgehammer plate waiting to go on the car hopefully before the end of the season. I also won a local Import vs domestic "All Motor Pro" class (DOT tire, registered etc) back in July.

Pedal/linkage setup-

And a few pics from the track-

Email   IP Logged
matadorman 401
Forum Junkie

AMC it is a way of
LIFE !!!

Council Bluffs, IA
Reply #197 - 08/28/16 at 14:49:39

where did you get the pedal set up at ? for the throttle

72 matador 401 aka "THE BEAST"
72 matador 401 aka The Grasshopper
79 Power Wagon stepside

Email   IP Logged
chickenman
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Feversham, ONT
Reply #198 - 08/28/16 at 15:45:56

Nice to see all the work paying off. Car looks and seems to be running great. Just look out for those yellow gremlins lining up across from you at the light. At least if there from Michigan.  Grin Garry

Email   IP Logged
KyleCim
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Swansea, MA
Reply #199 - 08/28/16 at 19:05:22

Email   IP Logged
KyleCim
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Swansea, MA
Reply #200 - 10/06/16 at 19:55:05

So with the air change and the throttle linkage, we were able to get the car back into the 10.30's pretty regularly on motor. Back in August we jumped on Induction Solutions sale they were running and ordered up the full Sledgehammer plate kit for the car. After racing it pretty much every weekend in Sept and working on wiring/ system install during the week we were able to get the car out yesterday for a track rental to test.

When I ordered the Kit, I told Steve I wanted to start slow and asked for the lowest tuneup he could provide which was a .034n/.024f for 100-125est hp. Yesterday was a bit nerve racking for us since this was the first time I had so much as held a nitrous bottle, nevermind sprayed anything. Steve walked me through some basics the night before and we decided to take out 10* due to my small head size (49cc). Made a 330' pass and shut it down, read some plugs and all seemed well so we decided to make a full pass. Everyone kept telling me 100 shot was nothing and not to worry about it but we still had reservations.

All went well, left at 3,500 off the brake (built a launch retard map in the grid rather than delay the shot) and the pass went smoothly-

. Pushed the car back and cut up some plugs and still didn't see any reason to stop so warmed a bottle and loaded up. Next pass I decided to change to 4,000 off the brake with no other changes. Car certainly left a little harder, ET dropped about a hundredth and lost just under a half mph-

We were really happy and wanted to try a degree back in/out to see what it liked but after the .71 tech tracked me down and was less than thrilled and shut me down for the day. License time. Overall, VERY VERY happy with the cars first season of racing, it felt great to be running with the Brand X stuff with good ol Rambler power on drag radials! Huge thank you's go out to Athony Apuzzo @ Accurate transmissions for a killer 727 he did for us, Victor @ Teixeira Fab for all the fab work, Steve Johnson and the crew at Induction Solutions for walking a newbie through getting into the nitrous world, Control Freak suspensions awesome tubular front end and coilover components, my Father for all his hard work on the car and my wife. Season is up for me, going to do some maintnence and I have some 2" primary headers to get installed on the car looking forward to what we can do in the future!

Half ass Video of the 2 passes from yesterday-
https://youtu.be/R_nEOXs33Iw

And some photos  from the past month-

Thank You everyone for all the compliments on the build, tons of money and hard work but days like yesterday make it worth it.

Thanks,
Kyle C

Email   IP Logged
Hurst390
Site Moderator
High Performance

Oreana, IL
Reply #201 - 10/07/16 at 01:10:58

It looks and runs great!
In the 2nd pic against the mustang. Is that a belly pan i'm seeing?
Did the headers work out?

Email   IP Logged
KyleCim
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Swansea, MA
Reply #202 - 10/07/16 at 01:59:58

Yes that's a belly pan, they are strict up here in regards to that. I think there might be a few pics a couple pages back. As for the headers, I've been at the track every weekend since they arrived and didn't have time to re-do the exhaust with them. I'm going to guess the belly pan will need to be re done with the new headers too lol

Email   IP Logged
KyleCim
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Swansea, MA
Reply #203 - 01/09/18 at 11:20:47

Well guys, almost a year later and it is time for an update.......

We had our first child in March and many sleepless nights led to me deciding to pull the plug on the nitrous road. I was never comfortable with it and it was beginning to get more and more costly and harder to find so I went back to my roots. Sold off all the nitrous stuff and decided to go blow through turbo. Did not want to convert to EFI as that would have required diving into a complete fuel system as well. Spent the majority of the year waiting to get into the fabricator and ordered parts as time went on to move us towards the goal.

So here we are, setup is a Borg Warner S400 80/96 1.32 T6 from Jose@ Forced Inductions, C&S 900cfm dual needle and seat blow through aerosol carb. My Fabricator and good friend (Victor @ Teixeira Fab in Tiverton, RI) who did the rest of the fab work on the car took it back to do the complete  turbo system. He had the Header flanges CNC'd to match the AMC dogleg port and used a Street Carr Fab billett T6 collector. I used a Garrett Air/Air 1,000hp core from JMFabrications that I had left over from my DSM and Victor modified that which fit the car well Mixing in TiAL 44mm Wastegates and 50mm blow off valves with a Extreme Velocity carb hat with a 1" Smileys O-ring spacer welded on.

Header coming together-
Untitled by Kyle Cimbron, on Flickr

Car is back home now, pulled the motor and going to get it over to Bob @ Masons Racing Engines to prep it for a compression drop/Piston change, 4 bolt mains and a new cam spec'd out by Bullett. Looking forward to being one of the few/only turbo AMC's out and about in the near future.

Thanks,

Kyle

Email   IP Logged
KyleCim
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Swansea, MA
Reply #204 - 01/09/18 at 13:47:35