The AMC Forum - Full Circle

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
05/25/17 at 20:03:37
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Full Circle (Read 3109 times)
Wayne_m
AMCer

1969 AMX

Surrey, BC, Canada
Full Circle
03/26/15 at 14:41:04

Sorry for the long diatribe, but it is a good read.

I am new to this forum and back into the AMC fold. My first car was a 1980 Spirit GT lift back. I was a young man 18 years old, seeking his first ride. I had decided I would buy  new car and started my research. Domestically I was looking at Chevy Monza and Ford Mustang/Capri. Imports were the Mitsubishi derivatives from Chrysler (Sapporo and Challenger) and the Honda Accord and Mazda 626. The Spirit was always in the back of my mind having read the review in Car and Driver of a 1979 304 GT. From what I remember they panned the car, the writer didn't like the fact that the seat bases were carpeted and that was something done too a "sin bin van". I was leaning toward the GM product as my dad always bought GM. However I came back the Spirit because it was the best value. Having decidd on the Spirit I started scouring the dealer lots looking for "my car". Their was nothing available that was exactly what I wanted. The decision was made to factory order a car. I spent weeks going over the brochure deciding on colors and options. I finally put it all together. A red GT with DL trim, 4 cycylinder, 4 speed (I was worried about the price of gas at a buck a gallon), center console, leather wrapped tilt wheel, Turbocast II wheels, among other things. I waited 6 months for the car to finally arrive. Not soon after I got it the modifications started. I swapped the grille for an AMX one and changed the front signal lenses to Eagle ones because they were orange. All 4 springs were changed; 4 leaf in the back (stock were 3) and V8 spec coils in the front with oversize wire. I custom ordered them with a 1" drop. To finish off my "rallye" package I installed a rear sway bar and Monroe shocks all around. The car wasn't fast, but man could it handle. I had the car for 5 years and basically wore it out. I ended up selling it to a buddy who kept it for a couple more years.  

At the time I bought a book about cars of the 60's and discovered the AMX for the first time I was blown away. The 30 year wait started. I finally happened upon my AMX recently. It was a kind of Craigslist/ garage find. I answered an ad for a a1969 car that was available in Boise, Idaho. I live in a suburb of Vancouver, Canada approximately 800 miles from Boise. Of course with Craigslist you are at the mercy of the local buyers. I would have to arrange to drive to Boise and see the car. It was driveable, but in need of a complete restoration. The seller had a local person who was interested and would likely buy it. During the conversation it was discovered that the owner had an additional one available. A red 1969 390, 4 speed Go Pack car. A restoration was started 15 years earlier and never completed. He got as far as the body work and abandoned the project. He has always been on the fence about selling it, but was impressed about my knowledge and passion for the cars. He sent me pictures and I knew I had to have it. The price was negotiated and one month later I drove 12 hours to Boise to bring my baby home. The car was and is in pieces. The body is straight and rust free, but missing most of the interior, the engine was stripped to the bare block and had been scavenged over the years for parts, but the important bits were still there , the block, crankshaft, caps, pistons and heads.  I am now in the process of stripping the car and starting a complete restoration. The body work is OK, however the paint only served to preserve it. The block has been hot tanked and now the fun starts. I am now on a quest for parts. I orderer the TSM and bought a couple of items recently from Eddie Stakes.

When I say I have come full circle, my first car was an AMC it is only fitting that my last one should be. No I am not planning to expire soon, I don't ever expect to sell my AMX.

Looking forward to getting involved with this forum!

Email   IP Logged
brownSpirit
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Georgetown, MA
Re: Full Circle
Reply #1 - 04/03/15 at 23:51:57

Welcome to the forum Wayne, we love pictures so post some in the members projects section if you can.  Andy

1969 BBB AMX 390/4-speed (race car project)
1969 S/C Rambler
1968 rogue 290/auto 50k miles

Email   IP Logged
amxdreamer
Site Moderator

Proud member of the
WINNING team Smurf!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #2 - 06/03/15 at 05:39:51

Welcome from out in the Fraser Valley Wayne.  Cool

Tony

2009 Ford F150 SuperdooperCrew
1970 AMX
Email   IP Logged
77hornetamx
Site Moderator
High Performance

4oh1,s Rule!

Barrie, ONT
Reply #3 - 06/05/15 at 01:58:53

that's a cool story . my first legal road car was a 73  and a 1/2 Gremlin x 304 auto , my last AMC , will be ( or is ) my 72 Gremlin drag car ..77.

" You can never be sure of the validity of any on line information " Abraham Lincoln .
Stay Hard.
Think Critically .
Question Everything .
Email   IP Logged
amxdreamer
Site Moderator

Proud member of the
WINNING team Smurf!

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #4 - 06/13/15 at 19:26:14

Wayne, I just realized MY first car was a 1980 Spirit and I dreamed of an AMX and now have a 70 that I restored!

Stanley Park 1985-1986

My AMX 2014

For those that call it a trailer queen Smiley

Tony

2009 Ford F150 SuperdooperCrew
1970 AMX
Email   IP Logged
390spirit
Forum Veteran

Supercharged?

N Dighton, MA