The AMC Forum - Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
02/20/17 at 22:30:44
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap (Read 21712 times)
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Re: Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap
Reply #105 - 12/08/16 at 18:41:52

I once ran an Indy intake which is pretty much a copy of the HLR intake. It was a dog. My engine builder at the time told me it was but I said “make it work”. After 2-3 pounds of filler, the plenum was still WAY to large for my 390. I talked about the issue with Adkins and I sent him a Torker. He made it into an air-gap and removed the bumps for the inner bolts. No other work. Placed Torker on 390 and instantly knocked of close to two-tenths. and the front tire rise went from a few inches off the ground (very lazy acceleration curve) to 1-2 foot wheel stands in 1st gear and sometimes sizable in 2nd gear (and a few all the way through 3rd) and you better be ready to shift up NOW! This was my 1st SS engine which had 300 CFM -291 heads & high .700” lift roller cam.  
Conclusion was HLR or Indy is probably fine for large CID, nitrous, maybe really high RPM. Or any combo of the 3. Volume & flow in an intake manifold looks good on a graph. Sometimes that equates to faster acceleration. Sometimes not.  
This Victor 383, if I’m right, should fill the void in performance between the Torker (a 48 year old design) and the Indy. And obviously, it appears the AMC Victor EFI may be a much better choice for simplicity’s sake. Of course I also spent several years bending the ear of those at Edelbrock to make a 4150 Victor AMC. They don’t seem to see the market is there; to which I disagree.  
Now if I had to do it over again, I would cut the Victor 383 flanges off then cut the plenum North/south & east/west and weld it all together with a 4150 spacer and re-work the plenum. I thought I could do this without slicing across any runners but the curvature of the runners...threw me a curve!  undecided Never was any good with math...

NHRA Super Stock (SS/H) Drag Racing
1970 AMC AMX
Autolite 4bbl 390, 4-speed
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
TUBBED_X
Forum Junkie
High Performance

Stick Shifting !-)
1.30 60 ft. 5.92 1/8
 9.37 1/4

Hebron, OH
Reply #106 - 12/12/16 at 18:04:42

Grin
 Smiley
was just curius....
Yes sir, one of the hardest things for me to learn was shifting with the front wheels in the air!-)  

All Throttle with a Stick!-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2i6iyjor6o
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #107 - 01/19/17 at 06:39:22

Moving right along with my snail’s pace.... Grin
At least the intake sits on the engine now! There was not a flat piece of aluminum on this when I gave it to the shop! Twisted all over the place. Not even the carb flange would take a straight edge.  :’(  Bolt holes don’t even line up...well they kinda do but 3/4 of them are off .025” to .050” I’m guessing. But the runners line up to the head ports beautifully!  
I’t all straight now. Just need one more cut to compensate for the SCE .0625” intake gaskets. Then I can take it back to the porter and he can finish it up. Taking the family skiing and then I’ll get on a fast track towards assembling the engine.  

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #108 - 02/07/17 at 07:26:51

Finally started assembling my new SS 390 engine this weekend.  
Got the crank in for the final install. Went to file fit all the rings. Bore is 4.236”. Top rings came out of the package with .019” gap and I filed to .024”. Then I went for the #2 rings and out of the package was .045”! Same with oil rings! There...now I had to wait for Monday to exchange the #2 & oil rings which I assume were mixed with another set. Luckily Total Seal is only about 8 miles from my home and that was fixed 1st thing Monday morning. Now the good news...as I planned on installing the pistons Sunday afternoon and work in the shop all day / night to get this done...I ended up watching the Super Bowl and that was worth the delay on the engine!  
I had a lot of real estate work to do today and tonight I finished up file fitting the remaining rings. Tomorrow I can install pistons.  

Crankshaft work was done by ShafTech in MI and EVERY spec was 100% right on. I ended up with .0028” on all main journals, .0018” on every rod journal and .005” on crank end-play.  

Thought I might share some fancy tools I bought. Yea, I know, not cheap. But I have to say it was almost a pleasure to file fit rings instead of using the wobbly hand grinder trying to get a parallel cut. All 8 sets of rings have the exact dimension with .024” top, .030” 2nd and .020” oil.  

I used the typical 1” down ring squaring tool and this new Goodson tool which I used below the 1” ring squaring tool; the ring is sandwiched in between tools and the the top tool is removed to measure the ring gap. https://www.goodson.com/ring-squaring-tools/

I got a “deal” on this Total Seal ring grinder. I don’t care if you build one engine every two years...you have to get this! Every gap is exactly what I want it. Both ends of the ring are exactly square to one another. Took hardly anytime to do the job. The wheel on the right is a rubber wheel for dressing the burrs once you are done filing. http://www.totalseal.com/tools-power-ring-filer.html

My home-made grafted Mopar 383 Victor to AMC Performer Air-Gap base is almost done. Sides were finished milled last week and now porter can finish his internal work. Will start with old Torker intake first so I can compare to my work.  

« Last Edit: 02/07/17 at 19:06:45 by SuperStockAMX »  

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print