The AMC Forum - Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
01/21/18 at 04:48:37
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print
Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap (Read 40063 times)
6T8AMXETC
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Bothell, Wa
Re: Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap
Reply #135 - 09/26/17 at 04:05:03

I know there is not a lot of action on this forum. Or even many replies to a great thread like this. But I am very much enjoying following along on your build for this engine! I can't wait to see the results you get at the track! Keep up the good work. I would definitely say you hold the AMC banner high!
Keep going strong
........Ty

Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #136 - 09/26/17 at 06:21:50

Thanks...yea, sometimes I wonder if I’m talking to myself here. I appreciate that!

NHRA Super Stock (SS/H) Drag Racing
1970 AMC AMX
Autolite 4bbl 390, 4-speed
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
AussieJav
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Adelaide, South Australia
Reply #137 - 09/26/17 at 10:34:48

It seems to be the last of the survivors here....

The other forum seems to be going ok.

'68 Javelin 343, 904, 4.10 M20
11.83@115

Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #138 - 09/26/17 at 12:31:20

This forum could survive and prosper just as any other forum but it requires a community that partakes and offers something from all. If everyone just sits and watches, it gets boring and no enthusiasm means it will die. I used to be part of that blue form but thanks to their management, was asked to leave. That was entirely due to one named Dan who came upon the AMC world trying to be the one with the ring that you must kiss to be accepted. And when myself and others questioned his abilities (a restoration shop owner), met considerable resistance and backstabbing. Dan was good at the politics of appeasing the admin(s) and the rule of law did not apply to him. That forum lost good people over one man (maybe two). I would not like to see this forum fail but I fear it’s days are numbered without more involvement from the community. That’s the only reason I started this thread.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
brownSpirit
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Georgetown, MA
Reply #139 - 09/26/17 at 20:20:24

Keep it going, I can't wait to see how it all performs for you.  Andy

1969 BBB AMX 390/4-speed (race car project)
1969 S/C Rambler
1968 rogue 290/auto 50k miles

Email   IP Logged
scott
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Wildwood, PA
Reply #140 - 09/26/17 at 21:06:24

I'm following along & enjoying it! Keep posting!!

Email   IP Logged
DragRacingSpirit
AMCrazy
High Performance

My Spirit Cordova

Mexico, Mo
Reply #141 - 09/26/17 at 21:50:20

I'm still lurking around here.

Best 1/4 mile 8.99 @ 149 mph, 1/8 mile 5.71 @ 120 mph, 60 foot 1.27, NA no power adders
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #142 - 09/27/17 at 05:29:50

Slight progress today between work. Clutch and bell housing installed. This is a dual 7” disk from Advanced Clutches. Also shown from Advanced Clutches is their alignment tools for disks and trans to bell housing.  

I don’t know if I’ve ever shown this before, and if I did PB lost it. Here is how you properly space out the transmission from the bell housing when Lakewood stopped making the 8.25” deep bell housing they made for 40+ years and then started selling the 6” or so deep bell housings (along with the other brands). I have a Browell Bell Housing with wind and billet fork setup. The fork is secured in position inside the bell housing with him joint. So, unlike the OEM fork with clip, it doesn’t fall off when you “almost have the trans stabbed in”.  
Back to the spacer...note the steel ring which registers the spacer to the bell housing and the recess that registers the spacer to the bearing retainer on the trans; registered on both ends for strength. I have quite a few passes on this spacer. There are no issues. If it wasn’t properly registered, you may have issues. Credit to Bud Yancer on that.  

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
chickenman
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Feversham, ONT
Reply #143 - 09/27/17 at 21:43:13

I have really enjoyed reading and seeing your build progress. The time and patience shows with what you have built in the end. Real top notch stuff going on. I can not wait myself to see your first passes. Keep up the great work and thanks for including us in your build. Garry

Email   IP Logged
Airdrie AMX
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Airdrie Alberta, Canada
Reply #144 - 09/28/17 at 03:46:22

I too enjoy following this thread, you definately don't leave anything on the table when it comes to putting together a build like this one. Funny you show pics of the spacer, I gave up trying to find the old deep lakewood and bought the 6" one and machined my own spacer just like the one you pictured. That was about 8 or 9 years ago, the pics were on this forum in my thread but are gone now thanks to PB. Keep the progress coming!

Ivan

Ivan C
72 amx 401 4speed (undergoing restoration)
74 base model javelin 401 4speed (original)
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #145 - 09/29/17 at 05:47:44

Yea, we did that spacer a long time ago! Glad it worked for you also. When I called Lakewood to express my displeasure over dropping a 40+ year old part and replacing it with one that was 2” or so shorter would require a new driveshaft, and possibly new headers and shifter, they said “that’s racing”. To tat I said, “well I guess somebody else will get my money!” I bought a Browell and it is also 6” deep but it saved about half the weight and has a window.  

Last night I went to install my new in package ARP 3/8” x 16 bolts; bell housing to engine. Felt like the block was stripped in each of the holes which I knew was not possible. Kept fiddling around and finally measured the thread diameter and it was about .362”. This can’t be right from ARP. So I grab a allen bolt that was 3/8” x 16” off my bench, hardware store variety, and it measures .375” like it should. I put it in a spare block and it fits like it’s supposed to. It’s late and now I’m pissed because I wanted to use the ARP bolts which have the smaller hex head and now I have to deal with this. So after bending over that spare block I stand straight up, quickly, and bam! I smash my head in the corner of a wall cabinet! You know the scalp wounds...blood everywhere down my face, on my clean floor....So I grab a paper towel and cover my head and proceed to grab some 3/8” bolts and put them through the bell housing into the block and it works like it’s supposed to. Of course I’ll have to get the 3/8” bolts I want; maybe just some 1” or 3/4” long allen bolts. Got the trans mounted also. Ready to drop in the car! At 11:00 I went to the ER and got two staples in the scalp because it wouldn’t stop bleeding.  

Triplets girls all got there learners permits yesterday. Thank God all passed; could you imagine if one failed?  

Today I had a lot of work followed by a swim meet for all 4 kids. Another meet on Saturday. But one way or another, engine will be in this weekend. Geez, it’s just sitting there ready to get thrown in!

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #146 - 10/01/17 at 07:02:09

Yea! Engine and trans are in. Put in as one unit which sure was nice. Bought Pivot “Articulating Engine Lift Plate” from Mac’s Tie Downs and best tool ever for engine install. http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/PiVOT-and-Adapters
Had to raise the back of the car up high at first but no big deal.  
Headers go on in the morning and tie up all the other loose ends.  

Oh...looks like I have room for at least another 1” spacer under the carb. Will test one someday.  

I’ll get a picture tomorrow after headers are on but what I liked on the underside was the bottom of the new engine crossmember, oil pan and bottom of the bell housing are all on an even plane.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #147 - 10/02/17 at 02:27:48

Underside showing headers, oil pan, etc.  

Wrapped up a big chunk today; headers, header tethers, z-bar & clutch linkage, shifter, driveshaft & loop, shifter cover, plugs & plug wires, etc.  
Bad thing about polished headers is they scratch when you put them in! Even with motor mounts gone, still not fun installing headers but these Monde Headers fit better than any shelf header or even the REF headers I had built previously. If Monde had my car now, he could build without the motor mounts for an even better install.  

Interior:

Pictures of exterior since PB lost them:

Need to hook up ignition, move coil somewhere else, fix leak at oil sending unit, few other minor things and can then start it up. Need to fix brake calipers & bleed, then adjust new rear suspension before it can be driven.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
brownSpirit
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Georgetown, MA
Reply #148 - 10/02/17 at 15:15:16

Looks great Jeff.  Yesterday I dropped off my car at the Monde garage for headers and clutch linkage can, can't wait to get it back.  Andy

1969 BBB AMX 390/4-speed (race car project)
1969 S/C Rambler
1968 rogue 290/auto 50k miles

Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #149 - 10/02/17 at 19:18:06

What I like about his headers is he has a forming tool to recreate the dog leg into the primary tubes. I have dog leg headers which incorporate the first few inches of the primary tubes and transitions into round tube. He also keeps the pipes straighter coming out of the head than shelf headers or even my old REF’s. Then, the collector are outboard on the chassis by a considerable amount. This allows you to pull the bell housing off without pulling a header off. That’s a very big deal for a stick racer! You will be very happy!

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print