The AMC Forum - Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
12/12/17 at 02:45:01
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap (Read 36967 times)
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Re: Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap
Reply #165 - 10/23/17 at 21:05:49

Quote from brownSpirit on 10/23/17 at 01:32:43:
Well that is a bummer, sorry to hear of the troubles Jeff. †I certainly hope it ends up being a easy and sure fix. †Andy

Thanks!  

Just got the car off the trailer. All in all, I think it was a very bad move on not only the line, but all the AN fittings snaking around the starter as well as the 12 line being reduced to the 10 line.  

Just spoke to Russel @ Indy about my new Indy cover and Razor pump. It takes (1) -12 line from the pickup at the sump to the suction side of the pump and pressure out to the remote filter back into the block at the sending unit location. Even though I have an Indy swinging pickup, I ordered a fixed pickup which I will evaluate once I have it all apart to see which I prefer. He said the Razor with one line is good to any RPM I can throw at it.  

Anybody have any advice on this system?

NHRA Super Stock (SS/H) Drag Racing
1970 AMC AMX
Autolite 4bbl 390, 4-speed
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
Red Devil
AMCrazy

Brantford, ONT
Reply #166 - 10/28/17 at 18:42:05

Sorry to hear about issues and hope not too much damage.   For the hose, if it was rated 29 inHg vacuum service, that's pretty much full vacuum, so expect pump would have cavitated well before hose collapsed ... but tough to say about hose quality?  

-10 reduced size may have been more of issue, but without knowing how much oil the pump is flowing, tough to say how big the suction line should be?   Running a bigger line or dual lines is typically safer. Not sure how the Razer pump will compare to your previous setup?

Hope this helps,RD

Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #167 - 10/29/17 at 15:14:58

Thanks for the post. I thorougly believe this is the issue and just have to learn from mistakes.
Had a two-day regional swim meet Friday / Saturday. One daughter took Silver overall in 2 individuals (50 & 100 meter Freestyle) and 2 relays (4x50 & 4x 100). In the relays, our team had a decided lead but when an olympic trial swimmer jumps in for the last leg, and is 6Ē-8Ē taller, it getís real exciting. To get 2nd by about .400 makes for a lot of screaming! And on her two individuals in finals, also coming up short by about .300. Son took 4th overall in 200 Free and 5th in 500 Freestyle and was on a top relay team but the lead swimmer had a false start and they were out. Just like drag racing!  Other two daughters finished top 3 in their individuals but didnít make finals.

OK...off to borrow a leak down tester. Might as well before i take the engine apart. Pulling the engine today.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
amx2334
AMCrazy

American Motors
Corporation

Afton, MN
Reply #168 - 10/29/17 at 20:18:33

At 3000ft a perfect vacuum is 26.8". It is a tortured path that the hose takes to the pump though. I think some kind of hard line running up along the pan would be a solution to the hose and fittings. Heat resistant also. Just a short section of quality hose to connect to the pump.
Did you use that piston coating that wears in to fit? Any chance that has anything to do with what you are seeing?

http://s248.photobucket.com/user/amx2334/library/68%20AMX
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #169 - 10/30/17 at 04:03:36

Started day with a dead battery in my driver and by the end of the day...engine still in race car.  

Coating on the piston skirts is basically graphite and will not cause issues. So Iím told.  

Iím in full agreement...Ētortured pathĒ... says it all!  

Friend with a SS ĎCuda showed me his external pickup. All steel line except last 6Ē-9Ē used for connection purposes. Thatís what the NASCAR guys do.  

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #170 - 11/11/17 at 03:49:08

Pulled engine / trans today. I put this off as I my son had no school today and wanted him to help. Of course he was sick so  I trudged forward on my own.  
Im evaluating the external oil line, I can see the drivers side offers a lot more room for not only the fitting, but no starter being in the way. Headers are more friendly on the drivers side also. I bought this pan from Bobby Shahan in Arkansas. He used a single line, non-swinging pick-up exiting the drivers side. I sealed that hole and put a swinging pickup on the traditional passenger side. Guess Bobby is smarter than I thought! Iím not sure if he was running a single line because he had a Razor pump or what. I think Iíll be calling him tomorrow.
Have Real Estate work tomorrow but after work I will perform a leak-down test just to see where Iím at before I pull it apart Sunday.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #171 - 11/14/17 at 03:58:07

Previously, before I went to the track, I did a compression test and basically with 5 pumps it was 185 PSI across the board. Iíve been told 3 pumps, 4 pumps is correct but Iíve used 5 for last 40 years.  

Leak down performed on Saturday.
#1 - 14%
#8 - 11%
#7 - 12%
#3 - 20%
#6 - 30%
#5 - 13%
#4 - 36% (air rushing out intake port indicates probable bent intake valve)
#2 - 28#

Sunday. Tore down the engine. Crank is still laying on the upper bearings. Have not pulled damper and timing cover. All plugs, ports and chambers were dry (no oil film).  
Crankshaft is perfect.
All bearing surfaces, not great but still have material. Several rod bearings are on a different arc than the BE of the rod. #1 rod cap is blackened. Evidence that some rod bearings were spinning. Again, crank still looks new.  
Pulled main caps. None were spinning. Bearings look better, still not great. #5 was loose fit on bearings and had worse looking bearings.  
Pistons. All looked great except two; #2 has scuffing on thrust side of skirt; past the Line2Line abradable powder coating. Not really that bad. However, #6 skirts look like they were sanded on the vertical with 80 grit sandpaper. There is a slight build-up of aluminum on the thrust side of the cylinder wall.  

Discussed findings with Adkins and conclusion is inadequate oiling. Iím sure one more pass would have been real ugly.  

Iíve got another set of rods and Iím giving up on these pistons. I have to finish striping the block and will take it to a shop and I want to make sure itís still got round bores and the #6 cylinder will clean up. Basically, before I buy pistons this week, I need to be 100% that the block is perfect. Everything else, except the #4 intake valve (which looks fine, may be just debris on the seat), looks great; cam, lifters, etc.  

For about 1/2 hour I was about to just build that NASCAR block into a NHRA SS/J 360. Itís a killer combo. But what held me back is 1) money, 2) time, 3) I want to finish this story which was originally all about building an intake manifold for a 390.  
So stay tuned, as long as I donít need a block, this will be running before the end of the year!  

Pre-filter:

Wix filter:

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #172 - 11/18/17 at 03:41:39

Replacement rod, new bearings and gaskets all ordered and in the mail.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #173 - 11/26/17 at 05:09:44

Plan of attack is new pistons, rings, bearings, hone, polish crank. Loosen up #4 & #5 main bearing clearances. Install internal oil line and drill / tap for (possible) future use of second external line. But using that new Razor pump, I donít see that happening. Roughly speaking, that Razor pump has gears about 50% taller than factory. I plan on drill / tap / cap the secondary inlet or suction side.  

Took head that had leak on #4 intake to the guy that did the work. He just retired and sold EVERYTHING! I knew he was calling it quits at 72 but I didnít think everything would be sold. Geez...all the old guys, the ones that have forgotten more than we will ever know...are getting old! He did have his valve removal tool and we pulled the valve. Thereís a MINUTE dink on the seat. We donít think the valve is bent but we were using some junk 3/8 drill as he sold his lathe. Will look into that further.  

Stopped by Total Seal and spoke to Keith Jones for bout an hour. Discussed buying new pistons and rings. He wants me to go from .043Ē to .9mm (about .035Ē). Will see. But...at the end of the conversation he asks if I ve seen the new machine shop about a 1/2 mile down the road. ďNo...never heard about itĒ. Keith tells me itís owned and operated by Mike Ege and heís some big time NASCAR engine builder. We donít get a lot of NASCAR here in Arizona so I said I would drop right in.  
Dropped in. I see a lot of Lazer stuff. I ask the receptionist if they build V-8ís here. She didnít know what a V-8 was so she grabs Mike. He gives me the grand tour of his 15,000 SF facility with SIX dynoís. SIX! 3 engine and 3 chassis. Mike is 1/3rd owner with two guys with ďlots of moneyĒ and their passion is Trophy Trucks (off road Baja 500/1000 stuff) and Razerís. So they built this facility to take care of the off road business of their team. I think they have at least 6 of them there.  
I couldnít believe just the duct and fans in the building.  
So in the end, I tell him what Iíve got going and that Iím probably out of my league here. He tells me ďweíre here to just have fun and let me see what we can do for you and come by with your block on Saturday and Iíll take a look seeĒ So, what does that mean? Donít know. So I brought my block, torque plate and old pistons / rods to him this morning. He didnít like the barrel on the skirts as they were off-center to his liking. He also didnít like the Line2Line coating as itís just a band-aide in his opinion. He wants to look at some more of my parts on Monday and we will take it from there.  

Google ďMike Ege NASCARĒ.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #174 - 12/07/17 at 00:35:49

Dropped in Monday, 1 week after dropping off parts. No progress at shop. They said check back next Monday.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print