The AMC Forum - Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
01/21/18 at 04:47:09
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap (Read 40061 times)
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Re: Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap
Reply #180 - 01/09/18 at 15:33:07

Finally....Rob @ Gibtec Pistons called yesterday and finalized the build order and I made my down payment. These are billet pistons, made to order. $1,580 which includes the DL coated wrist pins (that alone was $400 vs $195 for standard wrist pins). What Rob couldn’t figure out was why my Diamond pistons had a 1.370” wide gap between pin bosses. The SBC rod is only .993” +/-. That will be narrowed considerably which will allow a shorter wrist pin and maybe more stability.  

Further adding to my build, I had a friend make me a smokin’ deal on a RacePak V300 and a whole bunch of accessories he spent $3800 on for $1500. All brand new, in the box stuff that was state of the art in 2004; not so much today but still high quality stuff. He is selling the Comp car he never finished as he just got to old. Sad.

NHRA Super Stock (SS/H) Drag Racing
1970 AMC AMX
Autolite 4bbl 390, 4-speed
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #181 - 01/14/18 at 07:30:09

What a day yesterday! Friday 1:20 A.M left home with my son. Arrived 6:00 A.M. in San Diego area; an hour before Crower opens. What an interesting part of California; spittin’ distance from Tijuana, Mexico and it looked like thousands of acres dedicated to trucking depots and vehicle storage. And not one restaurant in site for breakfast before 7:00! Finally dined at a Subway...
Arrived at Crower and met Jerry who has worked front desk since 1968. He had Ramirez give Spencer and I a tour of the shop. They make EVERYTHING the sell there starting from billet steel or aluminum. I saw hundreds of clutch floaters for billet clutch assemblies, countless crankshafts from steel core to finished products. Rods of every size you could imagine, buckets of lifter parts, camshafts...if it’s in their catalog, it was there being made. I instantly noticed how friendly the workers were and found out that pretty much, those that start there, never seem to quit. Largest amount of employee’s was around 250 and today it’s around 170. To tour plant and have regular crew extend a hand and thank you for using their parts is not something I would expect but it was a pleasant surprise. Dropped off my rods for a full rebuild, bought a pair of Crower hoodies; just like “Big Chief” wears on Street Outlaws Smiley which were discounted for us.  
Hit the road an hour-and-a-half later to go up north to Vista, Ca to pick up a couple of friends SBC and 460 Ford block at Tri-City Competition were Greg Luneyac just completed his famous “hot hone” on those blocks. Basically, he puts fittings on a pair of torque plates and they are plumbed to a water heater attached to his Sunnen hone. Water temp is controlled to engine operating temp and remains constant while honing. The sales pitch is it’s worth 1-3% in HP. We also had good discussions on Hard-Block, pre-heating your engine and allowing the heads to heat-soak if using hard-block and other tricks of the trade. Fascinating guy and I’ll soon be ordering a 2nd torque plate so I can do this hone at a future date. Most likely when I build my next engine; a 360 for the AMX.  

Third stop of the day was Torrance, California to meet engineering staff at Edelbrock. I have had an email and sometime phone relationship with “Smitty” Smith (Technical Sales Coordinator) for at least 5 years now as he was my “go to” guy when I was trying to twist somebody’s arm at Edelbrock to R&D a Victor race AMC intake manifold. After a few years of that, I started my own R&D which finally developed into my Victor 383 MOPAR / AMC configuration which I kept Smitty abreast of progress, issues and success of. As he was aware I would be in town , he asked that I bring the intake and “meet the boys” in engineering. We met a few other engineers and even the Chief Engineer. I was very proud the Edelbrock team was very impressed with the work done on my project; especially the runner dividers. And I think that blew Spencer’s mind that Dad did something that was admired by true professionals.  
Unfortunately, we were not able to meet Denise (“The Menace” over at that other AMC Forum) as he was at another facility. I did see the new “Victor Pro-Flow IV” as it will be known. It’s a great piece which will accommodate any 4150 sized TB or carburetor, has injector bungs at the base of the runners which one would use for fuel injectors, nitrous injectors, or plug if not using any type of port injectors. Also, I brought along a pair of Victor Pro-Flow II’s which Jim Schmitz converted to 4150 pads. The engineer’s noticed all three of my intakes had water outlets tapped into the driver’s side rear and wanted to know why this was an apparently popular addition. I explained my use in a cross-over and bleed system and also in the past I have crossed over the rear corners and extended (with a “T”) to the thermostat housing; something Adkins is completely against. So right there, the engineers decided the new intake would have bosses to both rear corners! I also expressed an idea in coming up with a common size for the oil-fill tube; something like 1.5” that can be bought at Ace Hardware or a common freeze-plug size if, like in my case, one wants to cap that off. They are also designing a new PCV grommet and PCV baffling. Seems Dennis heard that one loud and clear at the other forum! Finished the meeting in discussion of Jim Schmitz’s ideas on a 500 HP pump gas 360 using all Edelbrock top end and a steerable cam along with my own plans on a 360 for my next project using Edelbrock heads for SS/J competition. Left with a pair of Edelbrock Racing t-shirts and my son was truly blown away by being deep inside the “skunk works” of Edelbrock!

Last stop was off to QMP Racing to pick up my sons 4.6L modular which was receiving a stroker SCAT crank and +.020” forged pistons with SCAT H-beam rods for 4.9L. Unfortunately, the route from Edelbrock to QMP was via the 405 which is a frickin’ NIGHTMARE! That, even leaving Edelbrock at 2:30! I swear, that’s a suicidal journey. HOA land and moving along at 5 MPH average, occasionally seeing 15 MPH for what seemed like an hour at a time. But alas, finally made it to QMP.  
Everything was done, loaded up and headed home in Arizona around 4:30. Only to fight more traffic. Really, California driving can be highly tortuous!  
It was a good day except for traffic. Slept in the Expedition around 1:30 A.M around Blythe, California for 1.5 hours as we were BEAT. Arrived home 25 hours later and about 1,000 miles added.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
Class Guy
AMCrazy
High Performance

Too much
imagination, not
enough time.

Toad Suck, AR
Reply #182 - 01/14/18 at 12:36:05

What a great story!!  I'm sure you made memories for Spencer that are indelibly etched into his brain!  Reminds me of the many trips I made to Memphis to Cam Dynamics, Racing Head Service, and TCI.  And trips to Dallas to RMS.  It is surprising to learn that the people who run those businesses are just regular folks in lots of ways.  Racers helping racers.

Email   IP Logged
Javelin GT
Forum Junkie

American Motors
Corporation

Gainesville VA
Reply #183 - 01/14/18 at 12:59:55

Jeff

Trip sounded like a lot of fun.  Makes me miss living in southern California.  Traffic is the worse there.

Crower will also custom grind AMC crankshafts.  Used to be about $2500.  But they do everything in house which is awesome.

1969 BBB Mod Javelin
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Reply #184 - 01/14/18 at 16:45:19

Now that is something I didn’t think to ask; if they would take a factory 390 crank and de-stroke it to a 360 crank? We can’t have billet cranks in my racing but you can take a factory crank and do whatever you want within the specs. I’ll ask.

1970 AMC AMX
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print