The AMC Forum - Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
04/21/18 at 01:58:19
News: 07/13/2009: Member Registration is now manual. Please email me if you're looking to sign up: amcforumAThotmail.com
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap (Read 45619 times)
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Re: Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap
Reply #195 - 03/27/18 at 08:06:20

Received replacement rod of correct weight...actually I didn’t even open the box. Brought it to shop today and said “get it done!”  

Spoke to another ’70 AMX 390 Super Stock owner a couple of times this week. Eugene Chipps in WV. Man, sure is a lot of AMX racers over there! His is with an automatic trans which places him in SS/HA. He has a CM back-half car. Apparently his engine stays together....LOL!

NHRA Super Stock (SS/H) Drag Racing
1970 AMC AMX
Autolite 4bbl 390, 4-speed
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
SuperStockAMX
Forum Junkie
High Performance

American Motors
Corporation

Anthem, AZ
Re: Grafting Mopar Victor 383 to AMC RPM Air-Gap
Reply #196 - 04/12/18 at 23:18:41

OK...latest update from the NASCAR shop. Prior align boring / honing of the main bearing tunnel was F’D UP! Boring bar was cocked ever so slightly....there was more material off of the #5 upper and more material off the #1 lower. There was NO bearing crush on #5 main bearing.  
Block is in process of being align honed with a FAA approved CNC boring tool. Yea...let’s get it right!  
That’s all I am waiting for.  

Same NASCAR shop (Leading Edge, Phoenix AZ) found my son’s Modular Ford block was align bored “to the high side” , meaning, the boring bar favored the lower caps. They ordered +.001” bearings and that took care of the issue.  

So...two blocks done at two shops and both messed up on align hone. Guess I need to buy a ball micrometer. Glad I found a shop that identified the problem(s)!

NHRA Super Stock (SS/H) Drag Racing
1970 AMC AMX
Autolite 4bbl 390, 4-speed
Advanced Clutch
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print